General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Received from neighbourhood watch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Nov 2016 20:46

Fraudsters are sending out emails purporting to be from a legitimate company called UK Parking Control LTD (UKPC) that claim you have a parking ticket.
The convincing looking emails entitled “Parking Charge Reminder” claim you have parked on one of UKPC’s client's private land.

The bottom of the email asks victims to click on “payment options and photos” for more information - a link that is likely to contain malware. If you receive one of these emails, delete it, do not download the attachment and report it to us.

The emails contain randomly generated reference numbers and quote a charge of £90. UKPC have received hundreds of calls today from worried recipients and have confirmed that they would never contact people in this way.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Dec 2016 09:31

If you have:
Driven down a bus lane
Parked illegally
Overstayed your parking ticket
Been caught speeding
Allegedly speeding in an area where they want to reduce the speed limit

You will be sent a letter, with (usually) a photograph of your vehicle number plate.
One aspect of my last job was re-directing such letters to the people who were using hire cars (registered centrally by the council), and had committed one of the above. The driver had to pay the fine!!
The last one - Allegedly speeding in an area where they want to reduce the speed limit - was just a 'warning', as no offence had been committed - but (falsely) claimed you would be prosecuted next time.
Local 'worthies' spent their time by the side of the road recording the speed of cars!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 1 Dec 2016 09:36

I personally ignore all emails if I am not positive they are genuine. Anyone who is legit has my address and phone number if they want me

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2016 15:12

This warning looks so genuine that it was sent to N Watch by the local police.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 1 Dec 2016 16:36

They are definitely getting more genuine looking, so my advice to anybody is don't open but phone the company or organisation involved.