General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For all our Lurkers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2016 16:31

From a study by the university of Copehagen.

Researchers warn of envy and a "deterioration of mood" from spending too long looking at other people's social media stories, induced by "unrealistic social comparisons".

If this suggests a picture of long irritable hours over a screen, depressed by the boasts and posts of others, then the researchers say that it does not need to be this way.

Actively engaging in conversation and connecting with people on social media seems to be a much more positive experience, suggests the study, published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behaviour and Social Networking.

This seems to be much less gloomy than "passive" users who spend too long "lurking" on social networking websites without getting involved.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2016 16:32

So come on in lurkers, don't be passive, be active. A new year resolution!!

Island

Island Report 22 Dec 2016 16:41

Exactly what I tried to encourage Ann but was poo-pooed.

I'm sure the 'lurkers' will respond to you though :-) one of the mysteries of cyber world

Happy christmas.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2016 18:20

Not so far Island. I don't worry really, just wanted to point out how it affects those who could post but don't.

Island

Island Report 22 Dec 2016 19:28

It works both ways Ann. Do those who 'lurk' give a thought for the feelings of those who make the effort to put up threads? I think not in a lot of cases.

Robert

Robert Report 22 Dec 2016 19:39

I have posted a few times, been slapped down a couple of times and being basically shy, I have an inferiority complex which prevents me from getting involved.

On some sites there are large numbers who regularly post and I feel I would be intruding. On some sites it is mainly ladies who chat and who would want a (very) old man getting involved?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2016 22:10

Robert this old lady is quite happy to talk to an old man. Feel free to visit any of my threads especially on the hobbies board if you have any interest in birds or gardens. I am sorry you feel you were slapped down, please don't let that deter you if you have something to say, sometimes we tend to forget that not everyone is used to chatting on these threads.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2016 22:12

Wonder who the other 34 people are?

Von

Von Report 22 Dec 2016 22:19

I own up to looking in Ann :-0 :-0 :-0 :-D

Allan

Allan Report 22 Dec 2016 22:28

Me too :-D

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 22 Dec 2016 22:36

Me three <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Dec 2016 22:59

Me four :-D

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 23 Dec 2016 00:44

I'm more of a lurcher - specially at this time of year.
And by the time I get out of bed most of you lot are nodding off and if I comment I'm out of date.
Apart from that - merry wassails or whatevers to you all.
B :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Dec 2016 00:57

I miss a lot of threads here due to being a nocturnal soul but try to keep up with subjects when I can. You have to be a bit tough but in the main, we are a friendly bunch and welcome newcomers

Lizxx

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Dec 2016 11:27

I think I'm about 62nd to look at this thread.

Well done to Ann and Island for their encouragement.

<3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2016 12:34

Thank you to the honest people. Yes, I think we actually all do that, those of us on the boards more frequently, I know I sometimes click on a thread to read then don't comment and on that occasion I am marked as a lurker myself. But there are loads more who lurk and never post on any threads.
Hello Berniem good to see you.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Dec 2016 12:53

I think I qualify as a lurker.

I'm sure most of us look at a lot more threads than we comment on, but that's no different to chatting in "real life". I meet up every week with quite a large group of friends for coffee and a chat. Some of the group talk nineteen to the dozen, others only throw in an occasional comment but they enjoy listening to the chat around them. I've never considered them lurkers, more as quieter friends :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2016 14:54

Mmm Vera but to be honest on some threads there are more views than people we know are on the boards. I am just trying to convince those that are too reticent to come forward that their input would be welcome and valued. :-) :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Dec 2016 15:14

I do both so am I a lurkive :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Dec 2016 15:34

You and Island are right to encourage people to post because it can be hard to break the ice. I was a member of GR for several years before I was brave enough to make the first post and I am not particularly timid; I felt everyone knew everyone else and I was the outsider.

So, to any new posters out there, take the advice I was given and just dive in. GR regulars are a friendly bunch.......really they are.