General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just thinking.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Dec 2016 23:38

We have not had a cat for eighteen months now, apart from the feral that is eating us out of house and home and are thinking we might see about getting another one in the new year.

But, then again, we thought we might get an elderly stroke victim instead.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2016 23:52

I think the cat's the better bet!! :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Dec 2016 23:56

Won't do the washing.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2016 00:03

True, but you wouldn't have to 'find' washing for it - your water bill must be a lot less than it was.
Mind you, if you got a cat, you'd have a problems with the feral.
What about a dog?

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 00:16

No, I wouldn't have to take a stroke victim out for a walk and it wouldn't cock it's leg anywhere.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 24 Dec 2016 00:33

Haha, I've got 3 of one and 1 of the other (not actually elderly, though).

The last 1 is otherwise not especially useful, but does do the thrice-daily feeding* and litter box emptying for the first 3, so maybe you could figure out a similar arrangement. :-)

* actualy four times, I just didn't know a word like 'thrice' for four times. Nothing but tinned food for our darlings, since one of them is defective, and crunchies block up her bowels and require the Lady Di treatment: a trip to the spa for a high colonic, which probably costs more than hers did, and which still happens even with her twice-daily laxative, my own chore ...

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 00:47

Very similar to an elderly stroke victim in so many ways!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 24 Dec 2016 00:55

Tall dude, or cat? ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 01:00

You choose.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2016 01:03

Joonie, there's no word for four times - surely it should be 'frice'.
Mentioning the twice daily laxative will hardly encourage Sharron :-|

Sharon, I would suggest a small, cat sized dog that requires little exercise.
Having said that, I find dogs too 'needy'. They ooze love and want it back.
Cats, it's more of a 'whenever' thing.
Human says to cat 'I want love now' - cat says 'not convenient'
Ergo cat says 'I want love now' - human can say 'mot convenient'.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 01:06

It will be a cat, you can never be sure of what you are getting with a stroke victim or a dog.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2016 01:15

...never be sure with a cat, either.
My 'spayed' cat - complete with stitches all across her womb area (an Irish vet's version of a cesarean) had 3 kittens!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 01:19

It is quite a difficult choice really isn't it? Dog, cat or elderly stroke victim?

They all have their pros and cons but I do have a lot of experience of elderly stroke victim keeping, even if I was very neglectful. There must be many who would like to give one away, I know I did!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2016 01:31

Well, it's easier to give a cat back.
I did. When 'mummy' cat had had her kittens, (that she shouldn't have been able to have had) I had her spayed.
I was willing to keep her and her kits, but she had different ideas.
She started attacking the kittens, and peeing under my duvet.
My little brain deduced she wanted to be an 'only' cat.
Now, send 3 not quite kittens back (two black, one with un-retractable claws and, frankly. ugly, one very long and thin - both these are black - and the third a cute, fluffy cat - but only cute because she's a midget - she's actually a right little sh*te) or send back one very appealing, beautiful (if she doesn't pee in your bed) spayed tabby.
Mum went back and was rehoused within the week.