General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR and Facebook

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2017 21:40

I have now joined Facebook (and have a grand total of three 'friends' being my daughter, a cousin in the UK and one of my nephews in Perth :-D)

I have tried to find GR on FB and can see several possibilities but none of which appear to be relevant.

One does have a comment about the Christmas baubles, or lack thereof, but then the next post is from 2014.

Does anyone have the details of the site on FB?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2017 23:51

Its this one

https://www.facebook.com/genesreunited/?fref=ts

The Profile picture is of a 1911 census images superimposed with photos of some of the descendents.
On the main centre section is a photo of Ronnie Corbett

The current top visitors post is

Today at 12:56
I am trying to send a message to a [name removed] through the site, but is asking me to pay to subscribe or buy credits. I have lots of info regarding the thread she has started. If anyone could get a message to her on my behalf I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jan 2017 23:53

I'd like to know when Victoria, London, meet is? Can do that in a day trip.

Lizx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2017 23:59

Eh? If that's with Uzzi, wasn't she going to Sheffield this year or is Victoria with a different group?

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jan 2017 03:18

Thanks, DET

I did thank you earlier for your reply, but must have pushed the wrong button as that post didn't appear :-S.

I've found the page and it was one of those I had seen earlier. My problem is that being new to FB, and a Technological Dinosaur to boot, I'm having a few difficulties finding my way around and my daughter has chosen this particular time to have a week down south...how inconsiderate of her! :-| :-D :-D :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jan 2017 09:40

I don't use Facebook but I always thought that GR was concentrating more on their Facebook page than the Genes website.

It now seems like they are not bothering with either site. Is this finally the end for GenesReunited? If so, RIP.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2017 09:55

I'm not an avid FB user, rather an occasional 'lurker'.

It seems as if marketing or support have a look at the GR page on an occasional basis. The last time they updated the content was when Victoria Woods died. They might make an appearance to answer questions every 7-10 days.
GR is definitely the poor relation.

Many of us are aware that Phil Moir left over 18 months ago as he didn't agree with the direction the company was being taken.

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jan 2017 10:02

Ah, Kath, there is my dilema!

my subs are up for renewal on 20th January. I've received an email from GR to that effect.

I'm wondering whether it is worth renewing :-(

I originally joined this site in 2007 to try to find my paternal grandfather and received much help from many members. Unfortunately I have still been unable to trace his early years.

I was active on the general board, but now seem to only visit the Games and Quizzes board.

Although I have made many 'friends' on here, I'm beginning to feel that it is time to move on :-(

Inky1

Inky1 Report 8 Jan 2017 10:04

FB. Just to the right of Ronnie Corbett's photo...

Join over 13 million members and search over 750 million names to find your ancestors at www.genesreunited.co.uk

Love that.....Not.
Wonder just how many 'active' members remain (both paying members and free members)?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2017 10:48

You will be much missed Allan for your quirky sense of humour. I am on Facebook but rarely go on the GR FB site. I will be your friend if you want Allan Lol! Not nice not having many friends. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jan 2017 11:09

Thanks, AnninG :-)

I really only joined Facebook to keep in touch with my English cousin. We have been in touch via email, but she is more active on FB. :-)

Still undecided about this site :-(

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 8 Jan 2017 12:23

I'm also on FB but have never gone into
the GR site on it.

What ever you decide Allan enjoy :-)

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 8 Jan 2017 13:25

Hi Allan, like you my subs are up end of jan and was debating whether or not to stay. I dont do much researching at the moment as I am a full time carer for hubby.BUT having put a post on here about 'caring' I have had the most wonderful response and help from many lovely people.
It is well worth my subs just for the help and understanding from the great members.
I too use facebook to keep in touch with family worldwide and in this country.(England)

:-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2017 13:29

Lets put it this way.

If you fail to renew then change your mind, you'll be charged the 'new members' sub rather than the reduced or grandfather'ed rate you'd pay now. ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 9 Jan 2017 04:01

DET, AnninGlos,

Of course you are both correct, and it is my own fault that I have not particpated more on the General Chat Board. Last year was not a particularly good one for me, and that is something I've vowed to sort out this year.

There's a very good chance that I'll renew. At the end of the day the cost is only $18.00 per six monthly period :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jan 2017 08:43

Allan having joined in .2007 you are probably paying less in subs than newer members.
If you leave and then decide to come back it will be costly

I am an older member ,in more ways than one lol, and yes the site has gone down in lots of ways but I would miss the folks on here

The support that's given when in time of need is worth my sub in itself.

I am also on Facebook and have many family contacts on there in the UK and Canada and the USA and I use the messenger facility to talk to my sister in Canada every Sunday afternoon

Both sites have pros and cons

Allan

Allan Report 9 Jan 2017 11:31

Thanks, Shirley :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Jan 2017 12:21

Welcome to Face book Allan :-D

I am sure you will soon get used to it :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jan 2017 13:21

don't you be going anywhere Allan - we know where you live :-D :-D

Annx

Annx Report 9 Jan 2017 14:34

You should stay Allan. I always enjoy your posts and see you on the quizzes at times. Records are being added all the time so you never know what might turn up after you leave if you go. I've only recently joined FB (also a Billy-no-mates!) and it does take a little while to find your way around.

So what is the new members rate? I joined in 2005 and renewed this week and paid £17.96.