General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Narcissistic Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2017 19:29

Afew years ago now, I stuck my head above the parapets and declared that I had had an abusive mother who I had found had had a narcissistic personality disorder.

To my surprise, I had over two hundred posts on my thread each one of us thinking we were the only victim.

Well, through other threads on Face Book, I have joined a group for the children of narcissistic and toxic parents.

Many are in the USA but there are still no fewer than fourteen and a half thousand members in the group.

Sue

Sue Report 10 Jan 2017 19:39

Sharron,

It appears that Phillip Larkin the poet was right then.!!!!!

This be the verse!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Jan 2017 19:44

Sharron - I remember your previous thread & found it hard to understand the technical term. I suppose I should be thankful that none of my siblings 'suffered' from such harrowing events.

Is there a general expression to cover 'good parents'?

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2017 21:06

On the understanding that nobody is perfect, I think the phrase is 'good enough parent'.

Sue

Sue Report 13 Jan 2017 14:11

Sharron,

Thanks for putting up this thread, as I know there are many victims of bad parenting of all kinds, whether it be mental or physical, or just being totally ignored. This can ruin a persons life in all sorts of ways.

The more this is brought into the open, the better,

Sue

Sue

Sue Report 13 Jan 2017 14:11

Sharron,

Thanks for putting up this thread, as I know there are many victims of bad parenting of all kinds, whether it be mental or physical, or just being totally ignored. This can ruin a persons life in all sorts of ways.

The more this is brought into the open, the better,

Sue

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jan 2017 15:09

I think that is the most effective thing we can do to make some impression. We need to make people aware of reality.