General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows Vista

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 12 Jan 2017 18:11

Can someone please help me. What will happen at the end of April when Windows Vista ceases?

Will I still be able to use my computer or do I need to update? I am not compatible with Windows 10.

If someone could help me, in very simple layman's terms, I would be very grateful.

If I need to update, what do I have to do?

Many thanks
Phyll

Kense

Kense Report 12 Jan 2017 19:21

Your PC will continue to operate as normal. It just won't receive any updates from Microsoft.

I don't know whether it is worth your while updating to another OS.

Phyll

Phyll Report 12 Jan 2017 20:11

Thanks Kense

Just so long as I don't lose anything, I'm happy.
Phyll

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jan 2017 10:37

VISTA is the end of the line :-(

However there are options.

(1) you can just stay with VISTA. You will go on getting key security updates from Microsoft but that's it from them. Some popular apps no longer support VISTA eg DropBox, Chrome, Opera.
ups: zero cost, no effort
downs: lack of compatabilty with current software and web apps wihich will become irritating

(2) install Windows 7 In 32/64 bit format Windows 7 is a lot like VISTA without most of the annoyances. Likely to work smoothly on your exisiting hardware. The support horizon is a long way off. EZ to find on eBay for around £ 40. "DELLOEM" versions will work on any computer. No longer available from Microsoft.
ups: no learning curve, sure to work, good performance, upgrade option, works with all current software
downs: not much, you cannot run the latest Microsoft software eg Edge browser

(3) install Windows 10 in 32/64 bit format. This is a much better OS than Windows 7, faster and with much better built in security. It also has some fairly large changes from previous versions which can take a little while to adapt to and are not everybody's cup of tea. Easy to source for £ 40-60 from eBay or from Microsoft around £ 100.
ups: best current Windows OS, future proof
downs: no upgrade option, you need to back up all yr data beforehand, costs more than other options, no drivers for some older hardware inc motherboard chipsets

(4) install Linux - this is free and has all the standard apps such as Chrome. Firefox, Dropbox and so on.
ups: all apps free inc Office, compregensive internet support, very helpful user community
downs: can be trick to install drivers, interface radically different from Windows

Your call but Windows 7 will prob. be your best bet

Phyll

Phyll Report 13 Jan 2017 18:23

Thanks for your help Rollothe red.

I have spoken to my SIL and he suggested I get a new computer as mine is 9 years old. He never did rate Vista.

I will have to save my pennies for a while to do this but meanwhile he has Windows 7 going spare so we will try that and see what happens - make or break time I think.
Phyll

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jan 2017 19:28

If you have 32 bit VISTA then you must ug to 32 bit Windows 7, if 64 bit VISTA then 64 bit windows7. Most likely you have 32 bit version.