General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone have any advice?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kelly

kelly Report 17 Jan 2017 21:23

I have just found my birth certificate on this site, which is great. But just recently I have been asked to show it for a CBR check, problem is it will take a couple of weeks to arrive in post, do you think if I emailed it from this site to the person in question they would accept it? Any advice would be great. Thanks

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jan 2017 21:27

I doubt it.

You can order your birth cert from the GRO using the priority service, it will cost you a lot more but it will be acceptable for any other requests you may have in the future.

Good luck

Sue

kelly

kelly Report 17 Jan 2017 21:37

Thanks sue, much appreciated. Wasn't sure if I'd get away with using this till mine arrived in post. Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jan 2017 22:23

it'll be cheaper to use the GRO site :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jan 2017 00:29

Joan

cost from Registry Office depends on whether you live in the UK or not ......

....... if you live outside the UK, certificates are way more expensive than ordering from GRO, and they want you to prove things that are not obtainable

eg, A4 envelope, stamped addressed envelope (no UK stamps sold overseas!)

The cost of providing all that can double the cost asked

GRO's cost is the same no matter where you live .............. £9.25 including postage and handling.

kelly

kelly Report 18 Jan 2017 01:50

Sorry Joan, yes I am in uk

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jan 2017 02:15

Is a recently obtained certificate acceptable?

Sometimes some authorities need a copy held since birth.

Do you have a passport or other form of identification, which might be acceptable?
This would show that you had 'passed' their checking authorities in the past.

kelly

kelly Report 18 Jan 2017 02:19

Joan, I was told to order my birth cert from hospital I was born at, its been shut down years so I got it from county council and took my nan with me so she could double check it for me, and some of the details were wrong on the full form birth cert. As in, no fathers name on short certificate, but there is on full, also on full form it says I wasn't registered till Nov 1994, but I was born Oct 1988

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jan 2017 02:34

There are 2 types of birth certificate:

the short version, which contains only the baby’s details
the full version, which also contains the parents’ details.

so the information wasn't necessarily wrong.

Regarding the late registration, maybe there was an addition or change of family circumstances that required the certificate to be amended ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2017 08:47

As you are relatively new to FH research, we need to clarify something for you.

What you've found on this site isn't your birth certificate. It's an entry on the GRO index which enables them to find a copy to send to you. A bit like chapter & page in a book index. You have to turn to the correct page to read what's been written.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jan 2017 11:27

I am curious.

Kelly says she was born in October 1988 but was not registered until November 1994.

That seems strange to me so can anyone explain why, please?

The only thing I can add to this thread is that Australia also issues a short and full birth certificate.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2017 11:54

As Gwyn in Kent has suggested, there might have been a late ammendment eg change of surname if adopted by the mother's partner, or the biological father having his name added or removed.

There is only one BC officially in existence. Even if one was ordered with the original references, the later ammended copy would be sent. The 'original' would have been cancelled.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jan 2017 12:01

Thank you Det. I wondered whether it was an adoption case and you've clarified it for me.

Edit: for a CRB check, Kelly will need to give all of her surnames used.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2017 15:24

We have a related family where the mother left her first husband in 1950 for another man and proceeded to have 9 children with him. As she was still married they were all given the surname of the first husband, even though he wasn't the father.

The were eventually married in 1968 and all 9 children were re-registered with their real father's surname almost 20 years after the birth of the first. The original GRO references are all cross referenced to the later ones.

All birth certificates are copies of the original entry made in the Register Office where the event was originally recorded, so there is no such thing as an 'original' certificate. In fact, a GRO issued cert is a copy of a copy and has the wording:-

"Certified to be a true copy of an entry in the certified copy of a Register of Births in the District above mentioned"

Local Register Offices are, optionally, allowed to charge for postage and some also charge extra if you pay by credit card, so check with the office first.

Short form certs are, generally, of no use for official identification purposes.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 16:02

Well the hospital where someone was born wont have any birth certs

A birth would be registered at the local register office

Any refs shown online are just the gro ref and this won't be suitable as a birth record

You say you got a full copy from the council so wondering why you are asking for it again

A short version of a birth certificate doesn't show parents details it's just a detail of the chiids birth reg

These are often the only ones availble when a child was adopted to protect the parent /s identity

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jan 2017 18:25

"There is only one BC officially in existence. Even if one was ordered with the original references, the later ammended copy would be sent. The 'original' would have been cancelled. "

That is not correct where the family name of the person has been changed. IN that case the original index entry remains on the public register and so does the new one - which may be some years after the original entry. There is nothong on the public index to indicate the link between the two etries but GRO have an internal flag. When this happens birth cert copies can only be obtained for the emended entry which is also the only valid one for passports and other legal matters. However there will be two copies of the BC extant for the same person as the eariler one can be retained.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2017 18:30

Thats what I meant - you'd only get sent the ammended one.

Penny

Penny Report 18 Jan 2017 19:07

Its quite possible that Kelly is reading 'registration date' and 'Issue date' as one and the same.

Born 1988, cert re-issued in 1994,maybesomeone ( mum and dad perhaps) applied for that copy.

The one that eventually arrives in the post will have jan 2017 on it as issue date