General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Resuming my search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Connie

Connie Report 18 Jan 2017 04:28

After a lengthy delay, I am resuming my search . I am searching for any information of my father's family in England. My father was born, William James Lemon/ or Lemmon, ( as spelt in some documents). He was born in August 1908 in Plymouth, Devon, England. As least this is what we were told, and it is written in his documents.
All we have about him is that at the age of 3 years old he was placed into the Scattered Homes of Plymouth, in November 1911. He remained here until June 1923 when he was sent to The Sheltering Homes in Liverpool. Here he was trained for life in Canada . He was sent to Canada in March 1924. I have all these details , but we know nothing of his first 3 years of life in England. He had no birth registration, nor a birth certificate. He never knew either name of his parents. Does anyone have any advice or help? Thank you.==Connie=== <3

patchem

patchem Report 18 Jan 2017 07:13

Could you say what suggestions were made to you on this site, and what you have followed up?

e.g.
Have you got any possible child in the 1911 census?

What else do the Scattered Homes records say?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 07:46

Have you been able to get his records from the homes ?

It does look though as if not many of them survived

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Plymouth/

If his birth wasn't reg then and no records are now availble you may never know about his early life I,m afraid

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 07:49

Could this be him on the 1911 census

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
5 Northumberland Terrace, Plymouth, Devon, England

Learn more

Print transcription View image Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Daniel William Hayes Head Married Male Hotel Porter 51 1860 Malta Transcription
Henrietta Malvina Hayes Wife Married Female - 50 1861 Plymouth Devon Transcription
Edith Maud Hayes Daughter Single Female - 20 1891 Plymouth Devon Transcription
Matilda Miles Servant Single Female Domestic Servant 22 1889 Plymouth Devon Transcription
Ellen Matilda Sullivan Boarder - Female - 5 1906 Plymouth Devon Transcription
William Lemon Boarder - Male - 3 1908 London Transcription

If somthis could be his birth
WILLIAM JAMES
Last name LEMON
Birth year 1908
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name -
District HOLBORN
County London
Country England
Volume 1B
Page 672
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain
© brightsolid online publishing ltd

But it's not an Aug birth !

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 07:59

Passage paid by sheltering homes myrtle street Liverpool

William James Lemon
Estimated birth year: abt 1909
Date of Arrival: Mar 1924
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Cedric

Maybe they have a file on him

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 08:01

Run by the sister of Annie Macpherson

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/LiverpoolSheltering/

The macpherson homes records are held by Barnardos

Mary

Mary Report 18 Jan 2017 13:42

Regarding William James lemon born Holborn 1908.V01b P672
His mum nee Barton also looks to have another son Charles Henry lemon 1909. V01b P620

William James lemon age 27 married 28/10/1906 in Hoxton London to Annie Maud Barton.His dad was William James Lemon deceased Bootmaker

I can't locate Annie and son Charles Henry as yet in 1911 but have found the following.

1911 Royal Hotel George Street Plymouth.
William James Lemon 31 married 2 children a hotel kitchen porter born London
Please note this is same area as your William was boarding with Daniel Hayes who happens to be a Hotel Porter!!

Could there be a link here??

Maryb.

Mary

Mary Report 19 Jan 2017 10:10

This looks like Annie Maud nee Barton and Charles Henry Lemon 1909.

1911 13,Union St Shoreditch
James Seagrave 1870 Bethnal green says married 4 years!! 1 child
Annie Seagrave 1880 Leigh Suffolk
Charles 18 months Finsbury = 1909!

James and Annie Maud on electoral rolls

1931 Annie Maud Seagrave with Charles Henry Seagrave (no birth for this person 1909)

Marriage of James Seagrave in A/M/J 1925 Shoreditch V1c P 155 to Annie maud lemon.

There were 7 births in and around Holborn Shoreditch for Seagrave mum nee Barton 1913-1929.

James Seagrave 1869-1930 Paddington.
Annie Maud Seagrave @ 1886-1951 Barnet Middlesex V5a P 552

I can't think of a way to prove or disprove this as being the person you are looking for but it does appear possible.

Maryb.

Connie

Connie Report 20 Jan 2017 03:11

I am over whelmed with the replies to my posting. wow!! I will answer what I can .
I do have all the documents from The Barnardo's Organization. Barnardo's took over the Running of the Marchmont Homes in Belleville, Ontario , Canada; so I was able to write to them in England and was able to get all the documents on my father.
This is how I was able to find out the information I have on him.
They include the documents from The Scattered Homes Of Plymouth, saying he was admitted into this facility; but the person or persons who placed him there did not sign the forms. It also states; " the lad says he is three years old. ". That is abut all it says; except for his birth date. The next information states he was sent to The Liverpool Sheltering Homes, to prepare for his move to Canada. After that are all the documents and the information on his migration to Canada, on board the S.S. Cedric, arriving at the port in Halifax in March 1924.
next question. yes I have done some extensive searching on various births in England, in the time period of 1907 to 1910.

Mary

Mary Report 20 Jan 2017 09:40

If he didn't have a birth cert then 3/8/1908 could be a guess from someone in the home he was sent to.

(the lad says he is three years old) would he know the date ??

So he could be the one born Holborn 1908,he a boarder and his dad a hotel porter in Plymouth in 1911 having left wife and new alleged husband in London.

I don' think they would have got divorced as it was very expensive,so the wife assumed the Seagrave name until her and James Seagrave married in 1925.

Maryb.