General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Search - viewing images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 19 Jan 2017 12:39

Hi, Just looking for some general help if I may.

I have intermittently used family search when looking for burials and overseas records. I am now finding I need to "log in" to view the image. Is this a recent requirement?

I have recently found a death record for a long lost uncle in Africa but cannot access the "free image" without an account.

Can anybody advise if it is safe to set up an account on this site?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Jan 2017 13:21

I transcribe for them and have a free account. So far no problems and I've been transcribing for about three years and had the account long before that.

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 19 Jan 2017 14:22

Thank you so much. I will go ahead and register for a free account. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2017 15:40

I use it all the time - never had to register

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jan 2017 15:43

There was a discussion about the images on FS not so long ago.

Someone found out that certain images can only be viewed if you log into an account and even then if its via one of their centres or partners.

lilliesnan

lilliesnan Report 19 Apr 2017 15:35

I posted in January 2017 regarding viewing images on family search and a requirement to create an account.

My research was abandoned for a while but I have a little time today to try and look at the image on family search. I am having a lot of trouble creating a free account. Not sure if it is my server timing out before it connects or if it is their site.

If one of you wonderful people could have a look at the image for me I would really appreciate it.

I am looking for any other information in addition to:

Cyril Robert Sowter
died 6 April 1968
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Male aged 63 Estimated birth year 1905

This is all I can see without an account although I suspect there may be no more on the image.

Many Thanks
Susan