General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mobile Phone

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2017 15:11

I have always had the most basic,cheapest mobile phone available but I think I might really indulge myself now I have heard the news.

Nokia are bringing back the 3310 at £49, much more than I would normally pay but the phone I want.

Can't wait!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 Feb 2017 16:07

I can understand why you are looking forward to getting a basic phone again.

Nokia brand. And near enough what we knew as Nokia phones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMD_Global

https://www.linkedin.com/company/hmd-global

When the family presented me with a (bottom of the range) smartphone last year I decided to keep my Nokia as a backup phone on a payg tariff. Had it for years. It’s a C3, has a full keyboard, looks like a poor man’s Blackberry and the battery lasts for at least a week. Great for just calls and texts. But poor for internet, as the screen is small.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Feb 2017 16:20

The man drawer in our house contains at least 5 old Nokia 3310s.

Found them during a clear out, bit it wasn't the geriatric phones that I laughed at, it was..... the phone covers!

One or two belonged to my daughter who got her first Nokia 3310 when she was starting high school aged 12

She will be 30 this year

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2017 16:22

I spend about £3 a year when I am into heavy usership on my mobile. Have had the same number for twenty odd years and don't know what it is.

The phone is in the car glove box.

If I get another one with the snake game on, it might even be brought indoors sometimes.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Feb 2017 16:44

There is an urban myth that a. The 3310 cannot be hacked b. It is better at picking up a weak signal. Both are wrong. However for those with only intermittent connection to the grid ( Bear Gryls. Brighton commuters and rough sleepers) it is great news.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2017 16:55

What are you talking about?

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Feb 2017 17:30

He's talking about Urban myths or as I'd like to call it anything you can read in the gutter press any given day....personally I'd never heard those ones before but then I'm not big on gutter press or phones... :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Feb 2017 19:00

I've still got - and use on a day- to day basis - the Nokia 1100 my sister brought me for my birthday, over 20 years ago.
...though not a 3310, I can say, for experience - that it can pick up a signal in many places a smartphone can't.
Though this will probably be contradicted as I'm not Bear Gryls, a Brighton commuter or a rough sleeper - I'm very refined when I sleep :-D

Though it WAS designed with developing countries in mind - not sure all inhabitants of developing countries count as rough sleepers, though.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Feb 2017 19:21

I too have a very old and reliable Nokia. It only texts and calls what more do I need. For other uses I have a very good camera and laptop . I do not have it glued to my hand or my ear such as most people today, I have a real life thanks. OH and kids have these modern phones and have more problems than I have ever had.

I am no Bear Grylls, I commute nowhere and have been known to sleep rough but only to fund raise for the homeless ;-) :-D :-D.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2017 19:41

I wish I still had my twenty odd year old mobile but those I have not lost have all died on me.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Feb 2017 19:44

Mine usually lives in a pocket in my rucksack, bottom of my handbag, or my coat pocket - it has no cover - and languishes in my pocket/handbag with loose coins, and debris I may pick up on a walk..

It stopped working once, about 5 years ago. I took the back off, blew the dust out - and lo!! it's working again :-D
I think it cost my sister about £20 - complete with £10 of credit! :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Feb 2017 17:23

It was always v ez to hack the old nokias remotely using SMS. That hasnt changed.
Maybe the revamped 3310 will fix the problem tho I doubt it.
The only secure mobiles are iPhone and non-Android Blackberry.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2017 17:53

If anybody wants to listen to me saying I am outside the dentist I really don't mind them hacking my phone.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Feb 2017 17:53

:-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Feb 2017 18:19

Same here, Sharron :-D

Surely a phone without the internet /banking etc on it is a lot safer than a smart phone containing all your information?

My daughter did text me her bank details once, but unless you knew who/what 'squidge' was and where they lived, pretty useless info.

Although, I've said it before, in 2009, my phone was worth quite a bit

http://www.geek.com/mobile/hackers-paying-thousands-for-discontinued-nokia-1100-handsets-747762/

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Feb 2017 19:43

Old Nokia phones are desired by some because the imei chip can be removed and used for nefarious purposes such as waking up blacklisted stolen phones or making life difficult for mi5. The extra value has nothing to do with the phone as such.
If you sell an old Nokia make sure to get some id from the buyer.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2017 20:00

Yes alright,I will. Thank you for sharing a little knowledge.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Feb 2017 23:11

You'll have to make sure it's not fake ID though!! :-S

Kense

Kense Report 26 Feb 2017 17:17

Price is 49 euros (41.51 GBP)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Feb 2017 14:37

Surprisingly the 3310 relaunch only supports 2G. 2G has already gone in the USA and most of Canada. It is also being switched off in Europe 2017 / 18. So end of the road for 2G. GCHQ throw a party.

Nice game of snake tho and the worst security bugs fixed.