General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workers Playtime

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Feb 2017 10:09

Now does anyone remember this .its from way back :-D Wilfred Pickles went into factories ,& asked people Questions ,& his wife handed over the Money ( Give them The Money Mabel ) I just thought about it last night as Pat mentioned meet the Huggetts ..good old fashioned humour .my Mum listened all the time .was it in the 50s .I was only a young un Honest :-D Barbra

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Feb 2017 10:18

they recorded from my workplace once - Freeman's Cigar factory in Cardiff

Allan

Allan Report 26 Feb 2017 10:19

I remember it, Barbra :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 26 Feb 2017 10:22

I remember them as well. Two different programmes. Workers' Playtime was a sort of variety show, usually ending with a singer and I think the Wilfred Pickles programme was called Have a Go.

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Feb 2017 10:23

Aw Thank You .I must be feeling either old this morning or nostalgic ;-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 26 Feb 2017 10:28

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers'_Playtime_(radio_programme)

Ran from 1941 to 1964

I remember it too :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Feb 2017 10:30

Yes I remember both programmes , and Carroll Levis discoveries ,my elder sister was on that and came second in one program

Also Hughie Green opportunity knocks .

The radio versions of Britains got talent etc etc shows

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Feb 2017 10:32

Thank you for the link will have a look Barbra :-) ~~~~To all

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 26 Feb 2017 10:39

Have you tried Radio 4 Extra.

Each day they have old programmes on. Look at this weeks schedule ITMA and Goons with a splash of the Navy Lark - just a few examples.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra/programmes/schedules/2017/02/26

:-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 26 Feb 2017 10:54

Henry Halls guest night ran for a long time I think as well.

Violet Carson ( Ena Sharples)played piano for Wilfred Pickles Have a go

And ,how we managed to have a radio show with a ventriloquist. Well!!...Archie Andrews, :-S

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Feb 2017 11:04

Thanks Pat .~~~~~Brenda ,be back later Barbra :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Feb 2017 11:20

I don't remember 'Have a Go' but both my elder brothers won money on it!

As for Radio 4 Extra - I listen to it all the time - no mention of Trump or politics :-D :-D

I also get to understand the jokes I was too young to understand when the programmes were first on (like those in the Navy Lark).

...and 'By Timothy', they quite often do re-runs of Paul Temple :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2017 12:16

The "Navy Lark" was and is the funniest thing that was ever broadcast along with “Around the Horne". Happily most of the episodes are still available. I thought Workers Playtime was boring and Wilfred Pickles even worse but not as bad as the Archers.. Eventually Radio Caroline came along marking the end of skiffle beehive hairdos and the beginning of modern times.

My father got so fed up with the beeb that he installed a 15m high antenna so we could listen to music and other progs from afar. I still have the Pye valve radio.

radio humour runners up Tony Hancock, Michael Bentine and the Goons.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Feb 2017 13:14

Sandie McPhearson(?) at the organ when Reginald Dixon would let him have a go and has there ever been a programme broadcast that was more filthy than Round the Horne? Still it was bona to varda your dolly old eke wasn't it?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2017 13:44

Sharron is alluding to Kenneth Horn ( may he be blessed with merriment) frequent use of London gay slang which was in part derived from Romany. As most of the country were unaware he got away with a lot. He was incorrect in his thinking that the BBC top brass were unaware. As Horne had fans in the highest places there was not much they could do about it.

SS-GB (double S) is on tonight 9am. Ukip Playtime.

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Feb 2017 13:48

Navy lark Leslie Phillips .Jon Pertwee ..Heather Chasen ..Round the Horne Kenneth Williams .Hugh Paddick .Hmm .never a fan of these progs . Workers Play time Variety show & Have a Go Wilfred Pickles Thanks Folks for in put Barbra :-)

Daftoldbat

Daftoldbat Report 26 Feb 2017 14:02

'Mabel at the table and Harry Hudson at the piano', though heaven knows why I remember that bit! (Apologies if I have got it wrong)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Feb 2017 14:10

Round the Horne is also occasionally on Radio 4 extra.

Another programme I couldn't understand as a child - yet my bothers were in stitches - as am, now, when I hear Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams as Julian and Sandy (not Kenneth Horne) launching off into a Polari rant. :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Feb 2017 14:17

Sundays were great - Family Favourites, Ken Dodd and the Navy Lark and little Jimmy Clitheroe - we hit the "off" button for Billy Cotton's Band Show - Wakey Wakey - could not stand him!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Feb 2017 14:26

Billy Cotton has much to answer for, my lack of class for instance.

I loved him and asked fred why he shouted 'Wakey ,Wakey'.

Fred, Mr Upper-Class himself, said 'I don't know. Probably to show how common he is.'

Well that was it wasn't it? What was good enough for Billy Cotton was good enough for me and sixty years later, I am still doing it.

Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams were Julian and Sandy in Round the Horn. I remember them being solicitors in one episode and they had a criminal practice that kept them very busy!