General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

vista

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Mar 2017 19:34

In January this year there was some discussion about the phasing out of Vista - Rollo gave some helpful guidelines for possible coping and I saved them for my daughter who still has vista. But I seem to have left out the opening of this message, can someone guide me to it please?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Mar 2017 19:43

This may help:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/what-you-should-do-now-that-internet-explorer-support-has-ended-3633266/

and another one:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-wont-internet-explorer-10-run-on-windows-vista/

I'm still using Windows Vista. No upgrades, but my anti-virus keeps the gremlins at bay :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Mar 2017 19:57

thanks maggie - Rollo's notes that I have got a copy of are the pros and cons of possible moves - but my copy starts "However there are options" so I think I have missed something! I will suggest she gets an expert view of course!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Mar 2017 21:35

Found it! but all I had left off was Rollo saying Vista is the end of the line!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Mar 2017 10:15

The time of vista has well and truly gone given that no security package is able to adequately secure it and a lot of software sources have ended support eg Google , Dropbox. The only browser options are Firefox and PaleMoon a Firefox derivative. Even Microsoft advise against Ie

All is not lost though if you need to keep some old kit running. Windows 7 is essentially a sorted version of Vista and will be viable for at least another couple of years. The install package of Dvd + Oem license is retailing around £ 20-30 on eBay. Oem versions will work on any make but once installed and activated cannot then be used on another box.

If yr machine has 4Gb or less go for 32bit install if 6Gb or more 64bit.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 9 Mar 2017 22:20

Thanks Rollo,, I'll pass this on to my daughter when I see her thisbweekend