General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing tree view permissions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 12 Mar 2017 00:58

Is there a way of closing tree view permissions? I seem to have given access to some individuals with no connection at all to my tree and want to close the viewing permissions between us but don't seem to be able to find a setting.
Thanks in advance
Jan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Mar 2017 06:37

No problem.

Select the members concerned under Messages, My Contacts.

Where you have given permission for them to view your tree you will see a tick next to the word 'stop' under the column heading 'Tree'

Click on 'stop' (it is actually a button, and might be clearer if it appeared that way) and the tick will change to a cross and the 'stop' button to 'allow'

The line above will say either tick 'view' or cross 'request' and relates to your ability to see their tree. If you haven't been given access and would like it, then clicking on 'request' allows you to sent a (polite) request to the other member asking them for permission to view. If they do then the status will change.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Mar 2017 09:48

IGP advice works if you have allowed access to your own tree, or would like access to theirs.

However, the only way to remove your own access to someone else's, is to ask the tree owner to do it from their end.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Mar 2017 11:07

True but no big deal for me.

I have access to almost 700 member trees on here, built up over10 plus years of making contacts. Many are no longer any interest to me but so what. If the other member wishes to revoke contact then it is up to them, but I won't loose any sleep over it.

Another way is to simply delete the contact. This removes it from view. However, unless the site has changed since I last tested it, if for some reason you re-establish contact any previously granted permissions will still be there.

Janice

Janice Report 12 Mar 2017 21:10

Thank you! As you say, having contacts there is not an issue it's just that I've noticed a couple where there is only a single contact in the tree and it seems there isn't a connection so it worried me a bit. I've not used the site for a few years and have just come back to it so have lost track a bit. Thanks again.