General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my tree appears to have a duplicate person in it.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 28 Mar 2017 19:06

My grandmother appears to be in my tree twice, one has all her family side shown but without my mother and the other one has my mother and all my father side of the tree shown. I need to merge them together otherwise I will be having to move a lot of stuff.
This has only recently happened, why I do not know.
Highlighting my grandfather and looking in the menu that comes out from the right hand side there appears to be two copies of my grandfather and my grandmother listed under Marriage. Against my Grandfather there is a box with remove marriage in it. My am lothed to press it as I do not know which version on the tree it refers to.
It is not common practice to see yourself (in this case my grandfather) listed in the marriage section anyway.
I would like for someone to throw some light as to what I should be doing.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Mar 2017 21:46

If one of the boxes has a two page symbol in the bottom right hand corner then it is just a copy. The data in the tree is not duplicated so don't delete anything. The idea is that by having two boxes for the same person the tree is less complicated thus avoiding crossing lines.

Alan

Alan Report 28 Mar 2017 22:38

Hi Kense
I see no symbol on either of my grandmothers boxes. The only symbol I see is a purple multi-faceted star in the top left hand corner with a number in it. i am still baffled as to why this has happened,. Are you saying that the program did this by itself?

Kense

Kense Report 28 Mar 2017 23:25

As neither box has the two page symbol in it there must be something else going on which I am not aware of. I think you will have to contact support
[email protected]

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Mar 2017 00:13

an aunt had a husband and family, when HE died she remarried....I have two separate boxes for this occurrence....

could this be your situation also?
Bob

Kense

Kense Report 29 Mar 2017 09:15

In my post of 21:46 I wrote 'bottom left hand corner', it should have been 'bottom right hand corner'. I have since edited that post.

If you have the two page symbol in a box and hover the mouse over it it should say @This relation is a copy'

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Mar 2017 11:56

If you are not sure, an easy way to check if it is a duplicate or simply a copy in the display is to make a temporary change to one of the key data fields, such as place of birth.

Then check to see what appears in each of the views. If the change appears in both instances then you only have a single entry.

Alan

Alan Report 30 Mar 2017 03:26

Changing her birth date in one instance doesn't appear changed in the other instance. So I assume I have two separate instances. How this came about baffles me. However I now have [email protected] on the case.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 Mar 2017 15:35

This has also happened in my tree so I will be interested to know what support says

Alan

Alan Report 30 Mar 2017 15:46

I have solved the problem myself.
Under edit on my mothers instance I deleted her mother.
Then I went into add on my mothers instance and chose mother.
There were two options, one being to choose from a list having typed in my grandmothers first name.
I chose this option and both instances of my grandmother were listed and I took a guess and chose the first one.
This corrected my problem and left the second instance of my grandmother with no offspring so I deleted this instance.
So all is OK now.
Thank you everyone for offering me different solutions.
I hope this might be of help to anyone else who may have a similar problem.

Kense

Kense Report 30 Mar 2017 16:11

Thank you for letting us know Alan.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 2 Apr 2017 12:48

I'll look at my little problem again now Alan, thanks