General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well, that was interesting!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 09:00

:-D
Just had a 'cold' call.

Phone rang, picked it up - and some bloke was singing to me in a language I didn't understand :-S

Not wanting to embarrass him, I said 'Very nice but wrong number, I'm afraid', and put the phone down quick :-D

I hope he managed to ring the correct number. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Apr 2017 09:47

Lol.... How odd !....That sounds a better call than many I've had lately.

Last week there were 9 from the same 'survey ' group.

AND while typing this, they've just called AGAIN.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Apr 2017 10:05

In this monolingual nation, a lack of foreign languages prevent many of us from replying appropriately to annoying cold calls.

Just remember that life is generally wonderful, precious & shorter than the deceased had hoped.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 10:10

I resent the automated messages from PPI 'claimers' and some double glazing firm that harps on about the Government double glazing grant scheme.

Both of these are scams - it's free to get PPI returned, you don't need a firm to 'help' you
The Government grant for double glazing actually ended in July 2015 :-|

Because they're automated, I have no chance to tell them I'm on TPS, and they're lying scum :-| :-| :-|

Those running surveys can be stopped almost instantly by saying you're a tenant, (whether you are or not), and you're on TPS.
If they don't immediately go, I then ask: 'What was the name of the Company again, as I intend to report them unless I'm taken of the harassment list' :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 13:52

Carefully take down their name for future reference, get them to spell it all for you and then take the address, not forgetting the postcode.

Come to think of it, I have never had them stay on long enough to reach the postcode.

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 14:31

You can always fake, or otherwise, a hearing problem getting them to repeat themselves numerous times

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 15:07

Tried that :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 15:08

Sorry what you fried what....i know...I think I'm funny and yet.....sad i know...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 15:14

Had one whilst having a snooze earlier (I'm not well today).
I wasn't the most alert, as it woke me up.
It was a real person, all cheery:
Her:How are you today, well I hope?
Me: If I'd been well, I'd have been at work, since you ask, I feel bl**dy awful
Her: Oh, I'm sorry about that. Now if you were given £1000 to improve your house, what would you do?
She then rolls off a list of things.
Me: None, I'm a tenant, and on TPS - take me off your list.
Her (sounding quite genuine) Oh I'm really sorry.
Me: The damage is done. I was asleep, Now I'm well peed off.

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 15:16

That does tend to throw them off their script doesn't it poor things

Hope you feel better soon Maggie

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 15:29

Thank you, Caroline, so do I :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Apr 2017 15:37

BT now have a free system where you can block unwanted numbers. Since I started using it the junk calls have gone down to fewer than one a day! :-)

OH has a similar system on his mobile, and is gradually reducing the number of pests!!

The ones that annoy me are those that don't have proper numbers, because BT can't block them. Not sure how they manage it, but there is one lot where ringing 1471 comes up with "telephone number 00 rang....". :-| :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 15:40

Most of these are 'number witheld', Andysmum - and the lady who feeds my cats when I'm away has 'number witheld' :-(

If they're not, once I tell them I'm on TPS, and not to call me again, I don't tend to get repeat calls - thanks to the IOC finally getting around to fining firms! :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 16:26

I wonder if these companies have their own list of loonies who will waste their time :-S

I'd be happy to be on it if it stopped the calls

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Apr 2017 15:32

todays call from m.. California didn't seem to understand what I meant by my supposed computer. He also told me he knew I had very strong virus ware but couldn't tell me what as he didn't have that information.

I told him twice I would have to get dressed (well it was only 8.30am) go to the shops and buy a computer, and bring it home so he could fix it.

Maybe if he had told me I was actually using the computer as we spoke 9which I was) I may just have believed him :-D :-P

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Apr 2017 16:54

I've said it before......they at least laugh and feel sorry for you when you ask them how to open the computer, turn it on and what is the password....my kids normally do it for me I tell them......sad thing is they believe me :-0 :-\ :-S :-(