General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Too late again!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 10:48

Today, as part of my life of unending glamour, I have a surveyor coming to look at the drains and I have a black toe where I have, twice in twenty-four hours, kicked the same thing that has been there years, with a bare foot.

Where I am into this medieval bit, I thought I would just have a look at some shipping before I resume my ironing. To my delight, I read that there is a museum in Malmo that has built a replica of a cog (the coastal vessel of the middle ages unless somebody knows better and chooses to correct me) and that you can go for a ride in it. Oh Joys!

Filled with delight, I Googled the museum and, wouldn't you just know it? They don't do that any more. Oh buggerit!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2017 11:05

That's a pity - the Cog not the foot or drains. Well, you could include the foot & drains but for other reasons.
TBH, would you have travelled to Malmo, or was it dream?

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 11:10

Yes, we probably would.

I am not good at going anywhere without a reason and I have been wanting to see a cog for a long time, there is one in Kampen in the Netherlands but, if it was possible to get to sail in one, I would certainly go there.

There is also one in the museum at Bremerhaven that was dredged up and put back together, much like the Mary Rose but I would rather see a full sized reproduction of one.

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 11:39

One question....why did you kick the OH once let alone twice what was he doing wrong?

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 11:45

It was not OH. It was the bathroom door that is leaning against the wall and will go back on when I have finished sanding and varnishing the bathroom floor.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2017 11:49

Rollo's GG grandfather was from Malmo. He was a captain in the merchant marine sailing mostly to Oz Nz and China. I have some pictures of his ships but all a bit bigger than a cogg ( a flat bottom fishing boat mainly herring) . Yes I have been to Malmo. If you like IKEA organic food and Volvos. Ms Lund and Wallander you will be fine otherwise it can be dull. The Swedes speak English fine and are helpful with f.h. They are extremely hospitable so much so that life is not dull at all. Allow for high prices. Copenhagen is nearby but even more pricey.

being a staunch Lutheran GG gf eventually settled in Dublin.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 11:54

Didn't take long did it?

Rollo is bullshitting yet again and getting his information wrong!

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 12:06

In that case Sharron get sanding :-)

Allan

Allan Report 6 Apr 2017 12:07

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 12:15

It seems, and if I'm not right I feel safe I'll soon be corrected, that crime is currently very high in amongst other places Malmo. If that's true might be best to not visit there right now if the only reason were to travel in a boat you might be able to see elsewhere :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 12:19

Can't travel in the boat anyway, which is just as well with my toe!

Allan

Allan Report 6 Apr 2017 12:20

Ah! Boat people. You can always try Oz :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2017 12:20

Can Sharron be specific?
Can Alan be specific?
No?

Allan

Allan Report 6 Apr 2017 12:22

Who's Alan?

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2017 12:24

Sharron has been as specific as she need be and she may just know a little more than you about some things, empirically as well!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2017 12:24

Apparently the museum no longer offers trips on the Cog. Do keep up Rollo :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 12:40

I had to look at a Cog - Classic! :-D :-D :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLT3cwVJn0Y

I believe it was the Dogger that was a fishing boat, that mainly trawled in the North sea, not sure if it had a flat bottom, but if it did, it would have been limited in where it could trawl, as flat bottomed boats aren't/weren't suitable for deep sea fishing

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2017 12:40

My main reason for being in Malmo was business not tourism. Rides around the harbour are not my kind if thing. Neither is being stupid with the plumbing or sell by dates.

Crime in any large port city world wide is always much higher than in the boondocks. As in all such places it is easy to avoid trouble with a little common sense.

I have always wondered why people with ordinary names don't spell them in an ordinary way. Let's call it the Chalmondeley syndrome.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Apr 2017 12:43

In case you weren't aware, Rollo, a person's name is determined by their parents!

Sheesh - and he reckons he knows about genealogy!!!

People who use childish insults when they're allegedly grown up - let's call it the utter tw*t syndrome.

Maggie then sticks her forefinger up her nostril in the classic 'oh, you're a poor person, therefore low on the IQ too pose' to ask Rollo why he's named after a sweet - and it's not even spelled properly!

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Apr 2017 12:51

Pot kettle....names :-S :-S

You sail around a harbour not ride

In this case I don't think it being a port is the whole reason for the crime.

Who is being stupid with drains??