General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Black Flies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 10 Apr 2017 20:00

Please help!

We have been invaded by black flies in and around a big money tree in our front porch. I have googled for answers and tried a variety of suggestions . I have also brought a couple of sprays, but the flies keep returning.

This morning OH carried the money plant in its pot outside, we have cleaned the porch (again) I really don't fancy bringing it back indoors, but it is a beautiful big plant (still waiting for the money to show up)

We are planning to go to our local garden centre sometime this week, but it just occurred to me that someone here my know how to get rid of them

Hope all is well in your worlds!

Paula <3

Island

Island Report 10 Apr 2017 20:28

Ugh....... they're a bit early aren't they? Are they the ones that settle in clumps along the stems or are they more like fruit fly?

I spray them liberally with soapy water. You could also try an infusion of garlic in a spray. I've resorted to both at times :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Apr 2017 20:47

If it's the black flies that are basically stuck to the plant then the ants are bringing them...so also stop the ants....

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Apr 2017 21:11

They are in soil/compost of the pot,I imagine they are from eggs laid in the pot , hang a couple fly papers low from the stems/branches of the plant,,you can get fly papers at Wilkos and other places. its the sudden warm weather thats to blame.

I have them just now in the greenhouse coming out of over wintered plants,

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 10 Apr 2017 21:18

I get little fruit fly's in my Tortoise cage
I just put a fly paper up :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 11 Apr 2017 14:10

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We have been to the garden centre today. One of the assistants explained that we need to change the soil completely every year, plus spray with a solution of washing water and washing up liquid. Very knowledgeable and experienced but said she gets the same problem.

Thank you once again.