General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 15:56

How are they doing where you live?

I've just been replying to a message from SIL, she was offering me some seeds, which i don't have space for, but in reply I said that even the early flowering bee attracting plants in the garden are bare of honey bees as yet...is it too early? there are a few bumbles and other buzzies.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2017 17:55

We've seen a couple of bumble bees and wasps, but not honey bees. On the other hand, the only plant blooming in the garden is forsythia. It was probably too cold for honey bees when the Daffs were out.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 18:26

Its cold here today +++DetEcTive+++ so that may be why, apparently Surrey has been warmer according to SIl and they have a lot of bees on tree blossom. My forsythia was very good this year but is just going over to greenery now.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Apr 2017 18:27

There is enough of them in my front Garden Rose
sniffing round my tulips :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 Apr 2017 18:29

I have seen quite a few on the cherry blossom earlier on but it is raining now so they have headed for shelter methinks

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 20 Apr 2017 18:58

Pretty sure I have seen local honey bees here in Sussex, but then they might be French ones out on a day trip ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 19:14

Good to hear there are some about anyway :-)

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Apr 2017 21:47

In our local woods an Island has been opened that was shut of years ago to help the stag beetles and we have built mounds of branches , covered with soil, last week we covered it again with soil and seeds to attract bees.... plus sand mound.so hopefully there with be plenty of Bees. :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 21:48

Sounds very good Patricia :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Apr 2017 00:01

I had one 'buzz' me in the face today :-|
Fortunately, I try to assess what is attacking me before I swat!! :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Apr 2017 08:46

Last week had an ENORMOUS bee buzzing around at the patio doors trying to get out. It had come in through the open back door .which was still open, and thought it could get out through the closed patio doors

It really was huge and fat . I don't know bee species so can't say what type was but I had to gently guide it to the open door as the cat was getting very interested in it

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Apr 2017 08:48

Sounds like a Bumble Bee of some description.