General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vets!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2017 19:55

:-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

I walked from work to the vets today.
Google maps said it would take 15 minutes.
What they failed to point out, was the railway tunnel, on a corner, wide enough for 1 vehicle - with no pavement :-| :-| :-| :-|
I like living, so turned left.
Half an hour later (plus the 15 minutes I'd already walked) - after 45 minutes I reached the vets. Looking up the road, 50 yards away, I could see the tunnel I was reluctant to walk through :-( I was not a happy bunny.

Anyhoo, I went to get some advocate flea stuff for the cats - I'd regularly got it from the vets until last year, when I tried something else from the pet shop - I like to change these things occasionally.

They wouldn't sell me any without seeing the cats - well one in particular - Betty.
Me: She's not ill, no need to bring her in.
Receptionist (R): It's a prescription, we need to see her.
Me: So for 10 years you never saw her, and sold me the stuff, now, suddenly, when she's nearly 11 you need to see her?
R: Yes, we've never seen her.
Me: Yes you have, she was spayed here. What about George?
R: We saw him 7 years ago.
Me: No you didn't, you saw him when he was 10 months old - about 10 years ago. What about Mister?
R: We saw him recently.
Me: Yes, 7 months ago. Do you need to see him?
R: No.
Me: Just as well, he's buried in the garden - Doesn't the computer say the vet put him down?
R: 'Flusters'
Me: So you've had a computer error, and want me to bring my healthy cats in (which will terrify them), and cost me - how much? For the vet to confirm their weight, and that they're healthy? Let alone the cost of the taxi fare.

By now, I was a seething bunny. Pointed out I'd walked for nearly an hour to get there to be confronted by this - wrong details and essentially a demand for money for no reason.

As I headed or the door, I think I swore, and said I wouldn't bother with this farcical money pit again.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Apr 2017 19:59

They want you to pay a Consultant fee
As well as the treatment

I would go on line and order some front line :-( :-(

what a rip off
Been a Vet is a licence to print money :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2017 21:51

What really peed me of, is that they had the wrong information on the cats anyway :-P

This is the same place where I took Mister when he had bladder crystals.
The vet commented on his weight, but not how he coped with the (what should have been obvious to a vet) slight deformities he had!!

...and he certainly wasn't impressed that Mister was a champion rat catcher (and eater - hence his weight) :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 21:52

Always a good cat if he catches and eats it.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Apr 2017 21:55

One of mine is a great ratter
she brought me one last year and left it on my bedroom floor
While I was in bed Yuk
And the other one who thinks she is a Princess caught me two
but left them on the back step

Steve the male has up to now only caught a fly
He is a wussy

I have worked in a Vets and they do rip folks off big time :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2017 23:13

George brings in dead pigeons - how he gets them through the cat flap is a puzzle - and plucks them on the stairs :-(

Mister caught a bird once. Brought it into the kitchen, ate the breasts and walked off. George pounced on it - and started plucking it!
George seems unaware these creatures contain meat :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 23:14

Okay work on their skills and it'll be fine

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2017 23:20

Well, Mister is no longer with us - he's buried in the garden.
I also don't like plucked birds on the stairs :-P

Betty's good at destroying wicker chairs. I have a spare one in the bedroom for when she destroys the one in the living room (she's on her third one) :-\
Mind you, as she gets older, her powers of destruction diminish :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 23:21

True the older they get the hair drops in less places around the house

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Apr 2017 23:22

Cat hair is the new black In this house :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2017 23:40

Balls of grey fluff appearing from nowhere.......

Betty actually destroys wicker chairs - she jumps on the arm and sharpen her claws - same with the side gate and a block of wood holding the bark in place...

Then she 'claws' at me to stroke her, and 'paddles' painfully on my arm.......

Tell me, why do we have cats? So we can go out covered in fluff, with lacerations on our shoulders and arms. Claw marks on sofa arms, and wicker chairs destroyed....
Then the random hair balls and 'Oh, I've eaten too much dry food, must get rid of it - here on the rug, and here on the other rug. Be grateful it wasn't your bed, human!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Apr 2017 09:00

I had a very good vet who looked after Mirabelle the cat as she went though her long lasting last illness

She gave her her medication every day as she was on so much it was impossible for me to do it . She would even wet some cotton wool and bathe her face and give her a cuddle. I wasn't too made to wait my turn ,as soon as they knew I was there with her I was taken in so I didn't have a long wait
She wasn't going to charge me for the daily visits as she thought i didnt have pet insurance ,but I did so at the end she did charge as but the bill was still very reasonable considering all the care she gave.

She did say to me one time you can buy the cat flea treatment online cheaper than we can supply it and was happy for me to do this .

Sadly the owner of the practice decided to retire and the surgery closed down . I had been taking my cats to her for over 30 years and she was an excellent caring vet

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Apr 2017 13:20

Shirley a good Vets worth their weight in gold :-D :-D