General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re Greaders.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Apr 2017 17:16

To all greaders past and present I have to tell you that we have come to the end of an era. I am pretty sure we started the group in about 2006, it was started by Mike 'somebody' and has kept going ever since. When we started we had a lot of avid readers but we slowly lost people for one reason or another. Sadly now our numbers have dropped to just four which makes us not viable so we have disbanded the group.

I hope as we have gone through the years others have gained as much pleasure from reading the suggested books as I have. I have read many books that I would not have dreamed of reading before so I owe a big thank you for Genes for the opportunity of belonging to the group.

It is sad to have to stop, but that is life, some things we just have to give up and best to stop while it was a success than to let it dwindle away.

I am sure those who complained at the number of threads we took up on the hobbies board will be pleased anyway :-D :-D :-D

Thanks to all who ever belonged to the group for your company, for the reviews and suggestions. Happy reading everyone. :-) :-) :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Apr 2017 18:05

That's a shame Ann, I'm sure everyone who participated over the years enjoyed having new writers recommended to them :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Apr 2017 22:56

Its sad that you feel to have to close down your group. However, there does come a point when the 'effort' in administering it outweighs the pleasure in taking part. You did well in keeping it going for so long.

Perhaps you could start another one on a different social platform, or even join one that already exists?

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 29 Apr 2017 12:44

I found new favourites as well from the suggestions of other members.
I may well look back at past threads to get more inspiration!

I would like to say 'Thank You' to Ann who has worked so hard to keep us going, in spite of having to nag late posters (guilty :-D ) and those of us who forgot which books we had suggested before :-D .

Thank you again and happy reading.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Apr 2017 13:07

True Det. inevitab;e really. Yes I can look elsewhere, but also still have many books on my book shelves to read, I won't be lost for material. :-)

Thank you Pammy, chasing people was part of the 'fun' (I think) :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 29 Apr 2017 16:47

What a shame the group has to wind down. I am sure you will all go on reading so perhaps, from time to time, your group members could post something on the book thread on the Hobbies Board. I've discovered a few authors on there that I haven't read before and it is always helpful to hear what other people are enjoying.