General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That'll teach me!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 May 2017 15:10

Beautiful sunny morning here :-D
I decided to change the sheets - Then I thought - "It's nearly the third week of May, shall I put cotton (as opposed to brushed cotton) sheets on my bed, or put the Summer duvet on? I could also put the (washable) cream covers on the sofa"

Decided on the Summer duvet - Brushed cotton sheets are still very appealing and snuggly.
So this I did.
I was bringing the bedding downstairs to put in the washing machine, (it was still sunny) when there was a horrific 'crash' from outside.
I put the bedding on the floor, and opened the door, thinking there'd been an accident - nothing.
Turned around - Betty was on the bedding.
Decided to make a cuppa, and move her later.

Next minute a long protracted 'crash' - Betty moves - in fact runs.

I try to find her, then hear loud thumps on the door. I look outside - Hailstones :-0
Huuuge hailstones!

They stop.

Five minutes later, the sun goes in and it starts lashing it down with rain.
The rain stops.

Then it starts lashing it down with the oversized hailstones again!
This has been going on for 20 minutes, and I have puddles on my path :-| :-|

I won't be putting the cream covers on the sofa - washable or not!!

For those of you also suffering this strange weather - sorry, it was probably me, and my thoughts abut Summer nearly being here !! :-( :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 May 2017 15:20

..just had what sounded like a low flying tornado overhead - complete with the house vibrations.
Methinks it was very close thunder :-S :-S :-S

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 May 2017 15:23

Maggie,
We had that weird weather at the beginning of April.
Sun, rain, hail, snow and even THUNDER Snow!...
All 4 seasons in each day which is fairly usual for Scotland

Then, from 14 Apr to 13 May we had no rain at all ( 28 full dry days!)
On 14th May the heavens opened and the rain didn't stop for 2 days

It's been dry again for the last few days

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 May 2017 17:36

I couldn't get off to sleep last night for the heat here,
now that's not said often in Aberdeen. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 May 2017 17:52

I believe you, Emma, having spent the odd day in my youth attempting to sleep in the park - having spent the night (seasick) on the St Claire, coming down from Shetland, and knowing I'd have to get a train from Glasgow at midnight! :-(

We had fantastic weather the first week of May, on Skye - and we'd taken warm and wet weather gear - but better to be 'slightly warm' :-S than freezing cold :-D

The hail and thunder & lightning finally stopped at 5:30.
I found Betty under my bed, she came down 15 minutes later :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 May 2017 02:03

For my work I deal with people in several countries on line, and today I was chatting on Skype messenger with one in Minnesota. He had just got back from a few days of chasing tornados in Oklahoma.

I told him about your hailstones in Hampshire, and he was impressed. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 May 2017 09:37

:-D :-D :-D
I was on the phone to a friend who lives near Hythe (Hampshire) last night.
Told him about the weather - he said, yes, he saw it.
He was sat in the sunshine watching it across the water (Southampton way),but was amazed it went as far a Winchester.

My sister had a group camping in Sussex for the DofE yesterday.
I'll find out, tonight, what weather she had :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 May 2017 12:54

.......and the boiler has broken again - 9 days after it was 'fixed' :-|

I noticed last night, when it got a little chilly. :-(
Need to phone up tomorrow - no emergency call outs for heating or lack of hot water between (and this is what the handbook actually states) Nov 1st and April 31st.
The Council obviously has a different calendar to the rest of the world. :-S :-D
Doesn't exactly fill a person with confidence.

So, I have summer duvet on, no heating, no coal to light the fire, no hot water, and no April 31st :-| :-| :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 May 2017 18:25

Maggie as there is no April 31st it can be argued they always have to attend for an emergency due to the lack of their end date........ :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 May 2017 18:59

Too true, Caroline!! :-D :-D :-D

...will point that out in my e-mail.

No good pointing it out over the phone - they're unlikely to realise :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 May 2017 19:59

To be fair most of them still won't get it even in an email....spent most of Thursday at my local town hall getting sent from one counter to another until I found someone willing to take money from me even if it wasn't for the thing I originally went there for!!