General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pacemaker anyone got one how soon can I fly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 24 May 2017 17:54

After a several syncope episodes over the years doctors decided to investigate and seems my heart is stopping for 6 seconds at a time, so it's a pacemaker when I was told this two weeks ago was also told that it would be done in the next couple of weeks unless I had another faint when I was to go straight to a&e, today I was told I'm booked in for July 25th just 7 weeks before I fly, it's not a long flight just over 2 hours then a cruise for a week then 4 days in a hotel before I fly back. It's a surprise for my husband birthday he thinks we are going to Turkey so I would hate to have to cancel it. Has anyone got a pacemaker and can advise me ??

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 May 2017 18:15

I really think you need to take proper professional advice, e.g.

1 you need to find out what your doctors think

2 find out what the airline rules are for someone with your condition

3 check what your travel insurance will cover, or more importantly not cover

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 May 2017 18:55

I agree with IGP ................

you need professional advice from your own doctors, not what someone on a social media site has done in the past.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 May 2017 20:54

I WAS going to comment, "Wait till the feathers are formed",, but that wouldn't answer your question...........

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 May 2017 21:32

Hi Pam

Several people in my Dad's side of the family have/had pacemakers. Your op is on my 70th birthday

If you google your own question you will see several responses which show that as long as things go smoothly with the op and immediately afterwards, you should be fine flying.

That should put your mind at rest until you can check with your doctors.

Good luck with the op and have a wonderful holiday, happy birthday to your o.h.

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2017 03:46

Liz ......

Pam had better go to talk to her doctors BEFORE she goes away!!!

The sooner the better ...... so there is chance to cancel plans if necessary!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 May 2017 04:03

Oh, I agree, Sylvia but from what I read on line there is every possibility her trip could go ahead. I was merely trying to give her a little hope, but I did add that this info was just to let her know until she visited her doctor.

A holiday 7 weeks after the op might do her the world of good.

Let us know how things go, Pam

Lizxx

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 25 May 2017 07:44

Thanks everyone, I've checked with the airline and that's ok insurance I know is going to be costly and when I spoke originally to the cardiologist he said I am not allowed to go away before it's done but afterwards no problem, my concern was he also told me that it would be done in the next couple of weeks and so I would be ok to go on holiday but it's not being done now until 25july so just weeks before I go but when I spoke to them yesterday I was told that they are aware of my holiday date, but I am going to make an appointment to see my GP think I'm just being a panicky Annie ??

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 May 2017 09:34

As long as you have checked with everyone and they say it is ok Pam, I hope youa re able to have a wonderful holiday.

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 29 May 2017 18:58

Thanks everyone, I've spoken to my doctor and have been told I can fly after 10 days , the travel company are OK as long as your doctor says it's ok and now it's only sort out the insurance ??