General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Operation Overlord

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 6 Jun 2017 20:25

The invasion of Europe 6 June 1944

The allies anticipated heavy casualties. The guns on the cliff tops that killed so many

the allies had been told these guns had been bombed.

Sadly the bombs fell inland not touching their intended targets.

Kense

Kense Report 7 Jun 2017 10:53

A big celebration is planned for 2019, the 75th Anniversary of the event. They are hoping that over thirty DC-3/C-47/Dakotas, the main transport aircraft of the time, will take part.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 7 Jun 2017 13:05

To be correct the invasion started 5th June as the RAF went into action to search out any enemy aircraft in the area of the English Channel and French Coast. It was important to keep the surprise so couldn't allow enemy aircraft to spot the flotilla. They also did some tactical bombing. The landings were at dawn on D Day.

I once read a book loaned to me about D Day and a publican (near the English south coast) at the end of the evening walked outside his pub and suddenly he heard and saw in the night sky the RAF and other nationals airforces going over and realised it was far more than usual and wondered if D Day had started.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/history/June5.cfm

David

David Report 7 Jun 2017 17:23

My comments on the subject are limited to information gleaned from documentaries.

My wife has a notion to visit Normandy and Dieppe to the remaining battle damage.

The troops who had to cater for the dead and dying had a horrible job.

David

David Report 8 Jun 2017 09:01

Those Doctors and Nurses must have seen the futility of war more than any.

David

David Report 8 Jun 2017 10:24

The raid on Dieppe resulted in the capture of an enigma machine

My wife wanting to see both locations a result of their close proximity

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Jun 2017 11:44

A two hour drive through France isn't bad, if the weather is nice might even be enjoyable. :-D
You'll find many memorials or museums to visit, and as Rollo put it pretty cemeteries.

All along the coast you can find lovely beaches, which makes it hard in many cases to remember how many died on the lovely sands.

I hope you do the trip and get a lot from it.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Jun 2017 13:22

Oh Rollo please...I never said scenic and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you go by the motorway then obviously not the best! Small roads little villages rather nice...though in most cases I'd prefer a quiet countryside drive through England over France.....it's always good to see new places.

Take the trip take your time stop and check out anything that takes your fancy, you don't need to totally stick to the coast. You'll find most people are very welcoming.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Jun 2017 14:20

David, if you and your wife visit further afield you may find a visit to Oradour sur Glane worthwhile. It is very moving so if you and/or your wife are of a sensitive nature as my friend was, take tissues.

After your visit, take a look in the new village built virtually alongside the old one - the only way to lift your spirits after visiting the old village.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Jun 2017 14:45

Rollo, your last sentence is absolutely true.

My friend left us half-way round our visit as it was too much for her to bear.

Afterwards, over coffee and a snack in the new village her spirits recovered somewhat but I know she'll never visit again.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Jun 2017 17:41

Again I never said totally stick to the coast. Obviously all the times I drove around France I must have been drinking even more wine than I thought...then again I was usually the passenger. I remember going off the beaten track finding many different types of beaches and villages etc etc. Or was it a dream worthy of Dallas?? :-D :-D

David with just a little research I know you and your wife will have a very nice trip, taking into account whatever you want to see and do.