General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

General Election

Page 0 + 1 of 15

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Jun 2017 13:50

We now have our PM back in Downing Street with the Irish DUP joining in to make her numbers up give her another chance eh !!.We have got more Conservative MP.s in Scotland as M/s Sturgeon & SNP have lost seats that is the good news for Scotland .I think so anyway . :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Jun 2017 16:07

Well at least for the time being, we haven't got the prospect of looser Corbyn and even worse destruction and mayhem.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Jun 2017 16:51

So long as Corbyn don't get in.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jun 2017 17:38

An article about Diane Abbott - then look at your CV.

WARNING - Some rude words:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Jun 2017 17:39

"Acceptance that sometimes the other lot are in power is basic to democracy."

funny how the remoaners never got that one :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Jun 2017 18:37

We may be about to see the true calibre of ministers as TM begins Brexit negotiations.

Who will put their own egos and their parties before the well-being of our nation? We should take note of those who do so and remember their names in future elections.

It would be wonderful for every MP to fall in line behind and support May through the negotiations but I believe some will fail to put the country first and thwart every attempt. It is my understanding that even though we did not agree with the Brexit vote, our government is duty-bound to carry out the wishes of the majority no matter how small the difference may be and no matter which Party is in power.

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Jun 2017 18:55

JouLouise...if only that would happen every MP thinking of the country not themselves and personal gains.

Rollo.....the EEC was never sold to the public as what we ended up with now.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Jun 2017 19:14

National Referendums in the UK are, in theory, not binding because of the concept of Parliamentary Sovereignty. It would be a strong government that was able to defy one though.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jun 2017 19:20

Quote:
"What has Dianna Abbotts cv got to do with the DUP pact ?"

*looks at thread title* - 'General Election'
4th post down - quote:
"So long as Corbyn keeps Abbot under lock and key "

9th post down -
You then go on to praise her - so I presume you read the article.

....and an article explaining Abbott's qualities isn't Relevant?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Jun 2017 19:22

There's a good piece on lawyersforbritain.org regarding the referendum result, Kense.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Jun 2017 19:55

Rollo I already live in Harrogate

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Jun 2017 22:55

I think Mr Corbyn is a very delusional man he promised so much in his campaign .didn't say were the funds were coming from so Tories are in again with their empty promises they are all the same NHS is in a mess because we treat people who have never paid into our system they should have insurance as other counties do, It just makes me annoyed that everyone thinks they should get owt for nowt ..I worked & paid my dues as my oh did our two Sons & other members of our family My late Dad worked till he was 73 just part time by then but honestly they would turn in their graves at the way society has gone .for goodness sake somebody needs to get it right for our next generation .Think I had better stop now before I say to much :-)

Kense

Kense Report 9 Jun 2017 23:02

JoyLouise, the lawyersforbritain organisation is closely linked to the Vote Leave setup. So anything on that site is very suspect.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Jun 2017 23:22

Barbra, the NHS yearly budget is over £100 billion, the amount spent per annum on treating people who are not entitled is about £40 million. Therefore you can't blame that for the state of the NHS.

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jun 2017 00:00

Kense interested where the 40 million figure comes from? Is it accurate or could it be more and they never actually ask people if they're UK citizens so how do they get this figure?
Agreed Barbra people should have insurance to cover themselves.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Jun 2017 05:53

A recent newspaper article suggested that the saving could bearound 500m, but even that is less than one half percent of the NHS budget.

Equivalent to a saving of 50p off your £100 weekly shop.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the cost of recovering the money as it is all to easy for it to exceed the amount received.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Jun 2017 08:29

I got it from a quick google. IGP's figure may well be correct but it is peanuts compared with the NHS budget.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2214173/Health-tourists-come-Britain-free-NHS-treatment-cost-taxpayer-40m.html

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Jun 2017 09:31

I am aware of the background of lawyersforbritain but their view remains valid. They have, like others, propped up their own agenda and beliefs.

Time to challenge it through the courts? Though some may think about going further than murmurs, I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to go through the whole process, not just because of the financial costs but also because of the risk of being labelled anti-democratic and high-handed by fighting the will of the majority.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Jun 2017 09:43

JoyLouise, the argument now is not about remain or leave but about how hard the Brexit is. May does not seem to have changed her view even though the general election results tend to imply a soft Brexit is the public choice.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2017 09:52

If non EU 'health tourists' can't or won't pay for their treatment, why not take the cost from the Foreign Aid budget? After all, the publicly funded NHS has 'aided' 'foreigners'. Health Tourists don't just turn up with a broken limb; they tend to have more serious pre-existing conditions. That's why they've traveled to the UK, to get the treatment they can't afford in their country of residence.

40m or 50m may be a drop in the ocean, but just think how many operations it could fund. Even if 80% was recovered or reimbursed, it could make a difference.