General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NOVEMBER 11th - *LEST WE FORGET*

Page 0 + 1 of 17

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 6 Nov 2005 21:49

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 6 Nov 2005 21:50

Remembrance Day November 11th.
Let us not forget the men and woman who fought for our freedom.

Please see the video 'A Pittance Of Time' at:
http://www.army.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/remembrance/English/video.asp

Although this is a Canadian video, the message is universal.
The video is about 2 mins long. Everytime I see it I have tears in my eyes.

Deb

Joy

Joy Report 6 Nov 2005 21:55

They shall grow not old As we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them Nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun And in the morning We will remember them.

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 6 Nov 2005 21:57

Debs Would you mind if people added names of the fallen or those who served to this thread? Joy

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 6 Nov 2005 22:02

Joy, A wonderful idea to name and honor. Please add your 'In Remembrance' Deb

Howie

Howie Report 6 Nov 2005 22:07

Hi Debs thanks for the the link to one of your countrymen I have just visited the site and sat and listened a lovely touching song he sang .And we should never forget those men and women that gave thier lives and the ones injured that are still suffering and to all those that went away and did manage to get home Thanks to them all Howardxx

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 6 Nov 2005 22:09

In Rememberance, Jacques Deplus killed in action, 346 Squadron FFAF 15/3/1945 A father never known by Terry x x xR.I.P

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 6 Nov 2005 22:13

Debs Thanks, here goes with the ones I have so far:- WW1 - The Falllen Private William Mellors - 1938, 1st/6th Bn. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment - 14th October 1914 - Son of John Henry below and my Grandfather's brother. Private Ernest Fretwell - 13159, 9th Bn. Sherwoord Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment - 26th September 1916 - A distant cousin. Private Ernest Ambrose Russell G/13149, 6th Bn., The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) - 23rd November 1916 - My Great-Great Grandfather's brother. Private Aaron Renshaw 201252, 20th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment) - 28th August 1818 - A distant cousin. Private F G Hirons G/86131, 19th Bn., Middlesex Regiment - 15th April 1918 - A distant cousin. Also served:- Sydney Andrew Makings - Born 1897 Died c1954 - My Grandfather John Henry Mellors - Medic - Born 1869 Died 1963 - My Great-Grandfather With deep gratitude and respect.

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 6 Nov 2005 22:32

Thomas Hambleton Goodyear. Killed age 26. My Grandfather. The father of my Mother -he died when she was too young to remember him. Killed whilst serving aboard the HMS Courageous. Sunk by German U Boat 29, September 17 1939. -Thank You Howard. Deb

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 6 Nov 2005 22:35

WW1 - Albert Wardle - the uncle my father and his brothers never knew he had. xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2005 22:40

This year's Remembrance Day Service will be held in London's Whitehall on Sunday, 13th November - my 57th birthday. I shall be there for the first time in many years to pay my respects to my father's comrades who fought alongside him and died in WWII. My father took me to those services every year during my childhood, and subsequently I've watched them on TV whenever I've been unable to attend. I find it a very moving ceremony, and I hope it will always be held to remind us of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many millions in wars, to enable us the freedoms we enjoy today. Please don't forget to buy a poppy for the British Legion appeal. CB >|<

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 6 Nov 2005 22:52

IN REMEMBERANCE WW1 Second Lt Bernard McSherry 1918 my uncle Lance Corp. Daniel Grieve 1917 husbands uncle Private William Grieve c1917 husbands uncle Norah

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2005 22:56

For Norman Hunter, merchant seaman, lost, but my Aunt May waited every day of her life for him to come home....as he was deemed missing. Many merchant vessels were bombed to stop supplies coming

Rachel

Rachel Report 6 Nov 2005 22:57

To all the fallen we thank you for giving you lives so that we might not know the horrors of war and injustice. To all those that came back may we respect and honour your gift to us that took so much away fromyou. In rememberance of Driver Herbert John Osborn, royal Field Artillery who fort bravely in France during the Great War (WW1) and fell from injuries on 17 Oct 1918. Beloved son of Richard John and Elizabeth Osborn, brother of Elizabeth Ann, Catherine Mildred, David, Ernie, Matilda, Walter and Mary. We have not forgot you and you remain in our thoughts. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning we will remember them.

David

David Report 7 Nov 2005 00:45

Alfred Sheringham Plested died 2 09 1918 buried at SAILLY-SAILLISEL BRITISH CEMETERY aged 40. and his nephew, Henry Alfred Plested 1 10 1916 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL aged 19 David

Bec

Bec Report 7 Nov 2005 00:54

I wore my poppy tonight with pride and will do for the next week. I was fortunate not to lose any close relatives during the war but my heart goes out to those who sacrificed their lives for the freedom I now enjoy today. Love becx

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 7 Nov 2005 01:08

My Uncle Private Ernest Bird died 8th November 1918 aged 20 buried in France My Dad and Uncle Henry Gannon served in RFA in France and Russia 1917-1920 Lawrence Gannon served in the Royal Navy 1917-1920 both served in the Merchant Navy in WW2. Lost on 8th March 1943. No grave but the sea. Not just today but everyday remembered with pride. Kathleen

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2005 01:54

Remembering those who never came home. 'Lay me down in the cold, cold ground Where before, many more have gone When they come, I will stand my ground Stand my ground, I'll not be afraid Thoughts of home, take away my fear Sweat and blood, hide my veil of tears Once a year, say a prayer for me Close your eyes, and remember me' (From Sgt. McKenzie by Joe Kilna McKenzie) Patty

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 7 Nov 2005 02:31

The words to the song in the video: They fought and some died for their homeland. They fought and some died, now it's our land. Look at his little child; there's no fear in her eyes. Could he not show respect for other dads who have died? Take two minutes, would you mind? It's a pittance of time, For the boys and the girls who went over. In peace may they rest, may we never forget why they died. It's a pittance of time. God forgive me for wanting to strike him. Give me strength so as not to be like him. My heart pounds in my breast, fingers pressed to my lips, My throat wants to bawl out, my tongue barely resists. But two minutes I will bide. It's a pittance of time, For the boys and the girls who went over. In peace may they rest. May we never forget why they died. It's a pittance of time. Read the letters and poems of the heroes at home. They have casualties, battles, and fears of their own. There's a price to be paid if you go, if you stay. Freedom's fought for and won in numerous ways. Take two minutes, would you mind? It's a pittance of time, For the boys and the girls all over. May we never forget, our young become vets. At the end of the line, It's a pittance of time. It takes courage to fight in your own war. It takes courage to fight someone else's war. Our peacekeepers tell of their own living hell. They bring hope to foreign lands that hate mongers can't kill. Take two minutes, would you mind? It's a pittance of time, For the boys and the girls who go over. In peacetime our best still don battle dress And lay their lives on the line. It's a pittance of time In peace may they rest, Lest we forget why they died. Take a pittance of time.

~~~Hz by the River~

~~~Hz by the River~ Report 7 Nov 2005 04:06

My Blessings to Uncle Charlie, whoever he is : my mumhad 13 aunts and uncles on one side and 11 on the other. She was a youngest child of a youngest child, so never knew all many of these rellies - (hence my genes hunts). The other day I was talking to my elderly Dad who said ' did you know that your Mum's Uncle Charlie died in the Great War?' WHO IS UNCLE CHARLIE - none of the names I have so far are CHARLIE !!!!! So I will be thinking of Uncle Charlie on Nov 11th Heather in OZ