General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2nd Cousins etc.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 May 2005 22:58

Does anyone know how all this cousin stuff works i get confused with removed or direct or whatever. for example what would my mums cousin be to me?

Janice

Janice Report 31 May 2005 23:00

Your mum's cousin is your cousin once removed. If that cousin has children then they are your second cousins. To number the cousins you count matching generations, then if they don't mtch it becomes removed. Janice

Judy

Judy Report 31 May 2005 23:19

The Right Name For The Right Cousin Conversation on the subject 'who is related to whom' bogs down over terminology, particularly when it comes to defining cousins. Your first cousin is your parents' brother's or sister's child. However, the first cousin's child is not your second cousin, but your first cousin one removed. The child of the first cousin once removed is your first cousin twice removed, and his child is your first cousin three times removed. Your second cousin is your grandparents' brother's or sister's grandchild. That second cousin's child is your second cousin once removed, and his child is your second cousin twice removed, and so on. Your third cousin is your great-grandparents' brother's or sister's great-grandchild. The third cousin's child is your third cousin once removed, and his child is your third cousin twice removed. Other Occasionally Misunderstood Terms Siblings: Parents in common, brothers and sisters Grandnephew and Grandniece: the grandchild of your brother or sister Grandaunt or Granduncle: the brother or sister of your grandparent Great-Grandaunt or Great-Granduncle: the sister or brother of your great-grandparents Stepfather or Stepmother: the husband of your mother or the wife of your father by a subsequent marriage Stepchild: the child of your husband or wife by a former marriage Stepsister or Stepbrother: the child of your stepfather or stepmother Half Sister or Half Brother: the child of your mother and stepfather or the child of your father and stepmother, or of either parent by a former marriage In-Laws: your connections by the law of marriage (as distinct from relatives by blood) in particular, your husband's or wife's relatives and your own brother's wife or sister's husband Ancestor: the person from whom you descend directly, such as a grandparent or a great-grandparent Descendant: the person who descends directly from you, such as a grandson or granddaughter Lineal Relations: those in a direct line of ascent or descent, such as a grandfather or granddaughter Collateral Relations: those relatives who are linked by a common ancestor, such as aunts, uncles, or cousins.

Lynda Ferret Lady

Lynda Ferret Lady Report 1 Jan 2006 21:40

nudged for Carolb...

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 8 May 2006 23:07

nudge for Emma

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2006 12:49

THANKS SUSAN, I DO APPRECIATE THIS. GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, WHO ASKED THE QUESTION !! PIPS XX

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 30 Dec 2006 13:44

Susan (and Pips) I have a relationship chart which I can send you if you like. Pips, I'll try to make it a bit bigger for you, though you might have to print it on four sheets and fit together like a jigsaw lol. Anyway, just PM me with your email address and I'll send it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2006 13:48

CAN I ASK, WHAT IS A RELATIONSHIP CHART ? AS FOR SHEETS OF PAPER, YOU SHOULD SEE MY FLOOR, MY PRINTER HAS JUST GONE MAD PRINTING THE 'RIGHT NAME FOR THE RIGHT COUSIN ' I THINK I PRESSED SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T HAVE !!!! ANYONE NEED A LARGE PRINT COPY ? LOL PIPSXX STANDING IN PAPER MOUNTAIN !1

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 30 Dec 2006 14:14

RELATIONSHIP CHART http://bluett(.)com/peter/relationship.html REMOVE BRACKETS AROUND THE D O T. Dee x

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 30 Dec 2006 14:20

PIPS ITS A CHART THAT SHOWS YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE FAMILY, BY FINDING YOUR COMMON ANCESTOR. FOR INSTANCE, I HAVE A CONTACT IN AUS WITH MY 3RD COUSIN. OUT COMMON ANCESTOR IS OUR GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER BY CROSS REFERENCING, USING THE GRID CHART, I FOUND OUT WE WERE 3RD COUSINS.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2006 14:31

DEE, THANK YOU, I FOUND IT AND HAVE PRINTED IT. TERESA, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO EXPLAIN AND FOR THE KIND OFFER. I HAVE THE CHART, THANKS TO DEE. THANK YOU BOTH. I DO HAVE A SERIOUS SIDE AND I AM DOING GENEALOGY / FAMILY HISTORY ON THE SITE. THANKS AGAIN, I'M AFRAID, ONLY 8 MONTHS INTO THIS, I WILL BE BACK WITH MORE QUESTIONS. PIPS XX

Beryl

Beryl Report 30 Dec 2006 14:31

Thank you for that address Dee I have misplaced my chart and couldn't remember just where I got it from. Beryl x

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 30 Dec 2006 14:53

ONLY TOO GLAD TO HELP X X Dee x

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 1 Jun 2007 21:46

thank goodness I have a calculator on family tree makers. Just one click and it works it all out for me lol

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jun 2007 22:02

Thanks Susan, I'm still not sure but don't think my brain is up to it tonight.............stressed! Will try and work it out when I'm more relaxed........(if that ever happens! ) Rosexx

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 1 Mar 2008 22:28

Hi Guys, thanks for this I too get very confused - which is not difficult - in understanding cousins etc.
Thanks for the website.
Cheers
Tina x

Julie

Julie Report 1 Mar 2008 22:50

nudged

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 13 Nov 2008 21:18

Thank you Susan, this has also helped me.
What would we do without such helpful people as yourselves :)

Cheers
Tina xx

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 13 Nov 2008 21:27

This is copied from an earlier request

18th October 2008
Hi xxxxxx, I find this useful for a quick reference, you just enter in the siblings and work down from there in direct line of descent from each sibling :
Siblings
Children 1st cousins
Grandchildren 2nd Cousins
Great grandchildren 3rd Cousins
Gt Gt grandchildren 4th Cousins
Gt Gt Gt grandchildren 5th Cousins
Gt Gt Gt Gt grandchildren 6th Cousins

One generation before or after, is “Once Removed”
Two generations before/after are “Twice Removed”, etc.

Dermot posted an excellent easily understandable explanation which I unfortunately deleted.

Quite a few people , if looking in will reply I'm sure !
Sandie.x

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Jul 2009 21:18

Nudge for Sabrina