General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Sue McMullen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 8 May 2004 21:31

Hi Sue I have only just caught up with Lynda's thread Where do you come from. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum. I know exactly how you feel. I lost my Mum, suddenly and unexpectedly in February 1997. She was 72. I felt so lost and alone even though I had my husband and our 4 children with me. I was just 48 and the last time I saw Mum alive was on my birthday a week before she died. For months after her death I would pick up the phone to ring her to tell her about some little thing that had happened or a TV program she liked. I found the hardest times were anniversaries and birthdays and Christmas, they still are. I thought I was coping with it all, but 6 months after Mum died we were due to go to France on holiday. On the morning we should have gone I broke down and sobbed like a baby for my Mum and we didn't go on holiday. The doctor gave me Prozac, but it didn't help. I should say it gets easier, I supose it does, I don't think of Mum every day now, just most days. I still miss her, but I don't feel quite so much like an abandoned child. Many years ago my Godmother said when her Mum died "I'm an orphan now". I thought it was a very strange thing for a 55 year old woman to say. Now I understand exactly what she meant. Although you are an adult with, in my case, family of your own, you are still your Mum's little girl. I suppose we think our Mums will always be there for us as no matter how old we are we still need our Mums. Sorry to go on, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you at this sad time and I'm sure all your friends on GC are too. Regards Sue