General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Sue McMullen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 8 May 2004 21:31

Hi Sue I have only just caught up with Lynda's thread Where do you come from. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum. I know exactly how you feel. I lost my Mum, suddenly and unexpectedly in February 1997. She was 72. I felt so lost and alone even though I had my husband and our 4 children with me. I was just 48 and the last time I saw Mum alive was on my birthday a week before she died. For months after her death I would pick up the phone to ring her to tell her about some little thing that had happened or a TV program she liked. I found the hardest times were anniversaries and birthdays and Christmas, they still are. I thought I was coping with it all, but 6 months after Mum died we were due to go to France on holiday. On the morning we should have gone I broke down and sobbed like a baby for my Mum and we didn't go on holiday. The doctor gave me Prozac, but it didn't help. I should say it gets easier, I supose it does, I don't think of Mum every day now, just most days. I still miss her, but I don't feel quite so much like an abandoned child. Many years ago my Godmother said when her Mum died "I'm an orphan now". I thought it was a very strange thing for a 55 year old woman to say. Now I understand exactly what she meant. Although you are an adult with, in my case, family of your own, you are still your Mum's little girl. I suppose we think our Mums will always be there for us as no matter how old we are we still need our Mums. Sorry to go on, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you at this sad time and I'm sure all your friends on GC are too. Regards Sue