General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT % ARE LEFT HANDED AND IS IT TRUE?

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 17 Feb 2004 22:10

My husband is always telling me that he is a genius because he's left-handed. If he sees another left handed person, he'll say "Oh another left-handed genius" As you may imagine this puts me right down in the doldrums because I'm one of the common ordinary 'right-handers' without an ounce of genius to brag about. So come on, any other left handed genius's out there???

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Feb 2004 22:16

Here's a poser for you, Norah, I eat, pour things left handed, hold a guitar and flute left handed, but I write, with my right hand, use a right handed tin opener, to name just a few things. What am I then, apart from a bit peculiar.

T J

T J Report 17 Feb 2004 22:21

My sister and step daughter are both left handed - but the theory I heard about left handers are that they are the surviving twin - but I'd class a genius as an ambedextrous - like me!!!!!

Sue

Sue Report 17 Feb 2004 22:27

You have my sympathy! Hubby is left-handed (it's apparently the rest of us who are in the wrong) but does everything with his right hand except write (with a backwards slope). Earlier today he wished he could hold a saw with his left hand but can't. His brother is right-handed but plays with left-handed golf clubs and played cricket left-handedly. His sister is left-handed and as I recall does most things with her left. He has two other brothers - one of each. He is currently telling me that he saw a left-handed moustache cup on the antiques roadshow ... oh woe is me! Sue

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Feb 2004 22:28

Me too then, I like the sound of that.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2004 22:34

My oldest son is left-handed, I taught him to use right handed scissors and to cope in a prodominantly right handed world, so yes I think he is a genius! But then I would say that wouldn't I!

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 17 Feb 2004 22:36

Morfydd I reckon you are a ruddy marvel!!! LOL Norah

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Feb 2004 22:40

I sometimes wonder if there is any truth in the theory that left handers are more prone to speech difficulties, e.g. if a natural left hander is brought up to be right handed. I play cricket left handed and whilst not ambidextrous my handwriting is awful and seem to remember my parents saying that I used my left hand more as a baby and they encouraged me to use my right. As a child/teenager I had a terrible stammer which I didn't really overcome until well into adulthood. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Feb 2004 22:45

Norah, there seems to be a couple of us on here.

Eileen

Eileen Report 17 Feb 2004 22:47

Hi Norah, My Dad and four youngest brothers and sisters are right handed, and my mum and four oldest brothers and sisters are left. My husbands Dad and four oldest brothers and sisters are right handed and Mum and four youngest are left!! coincidence or what! Both my children are right handed, but do everything else left handed and footed. Strange that! Eileen in Portsmouth (left is best!!)

Sue

Sue Report 17 Feb 2004 23:12

I am left-handed - all the best people are! LOL I write, cut with both knives and scissors, sew, throw things, hold a bat with my left hand and always balance a baby on my left hip. Everything else I do right-handed including knitting and crochet. I used to do a lot of dressmaking and my life was 'transformed' when I was bought a pair of left-handed scissors. For any 'cackhanders' out there that haven't tried them, get a pair to try. The difference is amazing! My brother is right-handed for most things but kicks a ball left footed and holds a bat in his left hand. My father was left-handed but was made to change at school by having his left hand tied behind his back! I have 4 children and 4 grandchildren - all right (or wrong!) handers. My right-handed husband cannot bear to watch me when I'm cutting bread or meat with a knife. He says it looks all wrong. Mind you I think it looks wrong when I watch a 'leftie' do anything! I can honestly say that being left-handed has never been a problem for me despite almost being rejected at an interview for a telephonist many moons ago. Switchboards were designed for righthanders and they didn't think I would be able to work fast enough. I managed very well for many years though! "As the right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body, only lefthanders are in their right minds!" Sue

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 17 Feb 2004 23:17

Hi Norah: The only thing I've heard about "us", is that we are supposed to be creative (would have to be to survive in a "backward" world). I've heard it runs in families (my mum, brother and I are all lefties, as well as my mum's mum's side and my dad's side). Have heard that being left-handed is actually a brain malfunction while in the womb -- most likely said by a right-handed person. Left-handed people are supposed to have more learning disabilities and speech impediments than right-handed people (once again, wouldn't have anything to do with living in a backwards world, would it?). Don't listen to your husband, Norah -- he's probably jealous that he's not right-handed!

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Feb 2004 23:21

Nice one Sue. Both my children eat left handed and when they were at primary school, the head master called me into his office and asked me if I thought we should do something about their strange eating habits (left handedness), because they would never be able to eat in restaurants, etc. Stupid man, my children have been eating in restaurants since they were tiny and they have always had better table manners than many adults.

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Feb 2004 00:02

I use my computer with the mouse in my left hand - because my son is lefthanded - and it was he who taught me all I know. (which isn't a lot). It does have advantages - it means I can still use my right hand to write things. I have tried to move the mouse to my right hand - but - nope - it is intransigent - and will NOT do what I want. 'im downstairs' uses the mouse with his left hand too- for fairly similar reasons. Also he is scared to move it to the rhs becos of what I might say! Nite peeps- dryred is taking its toll - even my trusty left hand is faltering - and I must to bed!

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Feb 2004 00:05

and another thing! My mum was lefthanded - and she taught me to knit - which was very difficult as she did everything in such an odd way! We finally achieved success by using a mirror to allow me to copy the way she held her hands and needles. Knitting is still a fave hobby..... or was......then I found GC and genealogy!

Jennie

Jennie Report 18 Feb 2004 00:11

my soninlaw is lefthanded ..well ambidextrous i believe...although i love him dearly i wouldnt say he was a genikous but his handwriting is fantastic.jen

Gerry

Gerry Report 18 Feb 2004 01:08

My Father-in-law is ambidextrous and my Mother-in-law is left handed. genious, No! But they are both in their 90s Gerry

Russell

Russell Report 18 Feb 2004 08:15

I'm lefthanded. We die younger - a statistical fact!

Wendy Rita

Wendy Rita Report 18 Feb 2004 08:38

Hi Norah, I am left handed but far from a "Genius" I think maybe your husband, is kidding along somehow, perhaps he just likes to think he is a genius, i use to play tennis & serve left handed but play right handed if you get that, my husband thought i was rather funny could'nt make me out. I would say I am a genius on crocheting, ask your husband if he's any good just joking. I think maybe i am a genius now being on this site I am on sometimes longer than I should, sure get hooked. Regards Wendy.

Trish

Trish Report 18 Feb 2004 09:51

Mainly right handed but eat and deal cards, among other things left handed (though not at the same time). For a lot of things I will use either hand.