General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BEWARE ANOTHER TELEPHONE SCAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 13 Dec 2003 07:47

Twice last night my telephone rang and I got an automated message saying, IMPORTANT SECURITY ALERT FROM HALIFAX - PLEASE PRESS ANY KEY. I put the phone down immediately, picked it back up a few seconds later and the message was still running. I rang the Halifax Building Society where I bank and was informed that this was nothing to do with them, I contacted BT and they were very concerned and advised me to report it to the Police. This I did and I now have an incident number, an officer contacted me and told me there are a few scams like this going on and it is only by people reporting it to them that they will be able to catch the culprits. Apparently, many people have been caught out and it has cost them an awful lot of money and the only way BT will reinburse anyone is if they have reported it to BT and have the name of the person they spoke to and also reported it to the police who will issue an incident number, without these people will have to foot the bills themselves.