General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Simon Knight-Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 27 Nov 2002 12:05

Approximate date: I'm bothered by the fact that 'approximate' dates have to be entered as 'exact' dates. For example, my 4xGreatGrandparent were born about 1796 (but could be 1790 to 1798). I would like to enter this as 'c1796' but have to enter it as '1796' which makes it appear to be definate rather than approximate. Can this be fixed ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Feb 2013 15:55

The GED definitions allow "abt 1901" and so on. Ancestry follows this.
GRU seem to have brought in a whole set of rules all their own e.g. no allcaps for names, no "abt date", ridiculous list of recent place names against data mostly pre 1950 ...

In any a case building a tree with GRU is now such a convoluted process that a lot of long term members have given up just shelling out a few pounds a year for the chat. It used to be a breeze.

There is no reasoning with them and in any case they are more interested in YouTube now that FaceBook has fallen flat.