General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hallmarks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 23 Jul 2008 11:53

Hi,

I know that all you people hold a valuable source of knowledge in sooo many things and I wondered if anyone could tell me what this mark might mean or where it's from.

I have a 22 carat gold wedding ring, I've just checked the date of the letter stamp and I'm pretty sure it's 1893 (D). Has all the other usual stamps, Crown, Anchor and makers mark SH, now the interesting bit; LUCKY * STAR (the little star shows where there is a star, slightly bigger though.)

I've googled it and can't find anything, anyone any ideas???

Thanks for your time folks, Denise

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 23 Jul 2008 12:00

I would hazard a guess that has nothing to do with hallmarks but someone had it engraved?

Tina x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 23 Jul 2008 12:06

Hi Tina,

Sorry I should have said that it's definately a stamp and not engraved.

Whether it's a newer stamp edition I dont know.

Thanks though,

Dee x

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 23 Jul 2008 12:21

All I can suggest then is that you take it to a jewellers and see what they have to say about it or an auction house - they would have plenty of reference books.

Hope you let us know what you find out, I am intrigued.

Tina x

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 23 Jul 2008 12:24

p.s. to that, I googled Hallmarks and clicked onto the Birmingham Hallmark site which had a lot of useful info. Could not see a reference to star though.

T. xx

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 23 Jul 2008 12:47

I googled 'star hallmark' and it said that a star denotes it could be from Russia......

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 23 Jul 2008 12:49

Try this website....

http://home.wxs.nl/~luijt005/hallm.htm

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 23 Jul 2008 12:51

It seems that webpage is not available any more.....sorry.....

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 23 Jul 2008 12:55

Hi,
I'm off into town to see if any of the jewellers can help there. I doubt it though, think I might need someone with good reference books like Tina said.

thanks for looking, Denise

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 23 Jul 2008 13:18

Hi, sorry only just read this. I have a friend ( now retired) who worked in the Jewellery Quarters in Birmingham for many years, making all sorts of gold jewellery.
Will give him a call now and see what he says.

Jenny

Have had to leave a message, hopefully he will ring me back later.

Peipal

Peipal Report 23 Jul 2008 13:56

Birmingham gold smiths in the 1800s

SH under a heart over a pellet into a shield (Samuel Hutton [ L ] ) 18th c./1st half
SH in script (Samuel Herbert [ L ] ) 18th c./1st half
SH (Samuel Holmes [ L ] ) 18th c./1st half
SH into two circles (Samuel H Hayne [ L ] ) 19th c./1st half
SH (Simon Harris [ L ] ) 20th c./1st half
SH (Solomon Hougham [ L ]) end 18th c./beginning 19th c.
SH over DC (also in script) (Samuel Hayne & Dudley Cater [ L ]) 19th c./1st half
SH over IT (Samuel Hennell & John Terry [ L ] ) 19th c./1st half
SH.DC (Samuel Hayne & Dudley Cater [ L ] ) mid 19th c.
SH over SR over IED (Solomon Hougham, Solomon Royes & John East Dix [ L ] ) 19th c./1st half

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Jul 2008 14:59

The Lucky*Star bit sounds to me more like a manufacturer's model name rather than part of the hallmarking.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 23 Jul 2008 17:03

Hi Folks,

Back from town, the jewellers couldn't help with what or who the "Lucky star" could be, however one did confirm that it is definately a stamp and was probably there from when the ring was made.

So I'm still no further to finding out what it means!!!

Denise

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Jul 2008 17:24

I think you may find that its a personal addition,,

I am looking now at over 30 of 22ct rings,,at least 20 are Birminham hallmarks,dating from 1864 to 1920..various makers ,so its been something personal added,,,,