General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

South Africa Magazine, 19 December 1903

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Apr 2006 20:59

Domestic Announcements

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Apr 2006 21:00

BIRTHS ALLENE, Mrs. L. J.-Diep River, Nov. 16, a son. BAILLIE-At Hex River, Nov. 15, the wife of Mr. Alexr. Baillie, a daughter. BARRETT, Mrs. J.-Touws River, Nov. 9, a daughter. BLUME, Mrs. G. T.-Claremont, Nov. 17, a son. CADELL, Mrs. J. F.-Durban, Nov. 12, a son. COLLINS, Mrs. H.-Berea, Nov. 12, a daughter. GIE, Mrs. J. C.-Riet Vlei, Nov. 10, a daughter. HUDSON, Mrs. R. G.-Mowbray, Nov. 15, a son. KINGMA, Mrs. J. C.-Cape Point Lighthouse, Nov. 15, a son. KITCH, Mrs. E. P.-Kenilworth, Nov. 9, a son. MANN, Mrs. W.-Observatory, Nov. 16, a son. MEADE, Mrs. W.-Sea Point, a son. MULLIGAN, Mrs. T. W. A.-Salt River, Nov. 15, a daughter. MUNRO-At Waverley Villa, Durban, on the 7th inst., to Mr. and Mrs. Alex. Munro (nee Mary P. Cooper) a daughter. PHILLIPS-At Nottingham, Dec. 9, the wife of R. L. Phillips, of Salisbury, a son. ROBEY, Mrs. L. E.-D'Urbanville, Nov. 17, a son. SCOTT-At Windsorton, near Kimberley, on the 8th inst., the wife of Robert Scott, Manager of the Windsorton Diamonds, Limited, a son. SLADDIN, Mrs. T. A.-Rondebosch, Nov. 17, a daughter. STEENSMA, Mrs. P. B.-Wynberg, Nov. 17, a daughter. STOCKEN-On Oct. 15, at Durban, 'Cissie,' the wife of William Stocken, barrister, of a daughter (Florence Cecily). MARRIAGES CAMERON, H. M.-BORLAND, S.-Maritzburg, Nov. 5. CRAWFORD-SPILHAUS-At St. Barnabas Church, Cape Town, on Dec. 10, Lawrence Crawford, D.Sc., Professor of Mathematics, South African College, to Annie Magdalena, daughter of William Spilhaus, Cape Town. EDMISTON-HITZEROTH-At the residence of the bride's uncle, Johannesburg, on the 9th ult., Ronald L. Edmiston, son of John Edmiston, of Brumelands, Bishopbriggs, to Margaret Gibson Hitzeroth, Johannesburg. GREY, G. H.-LAMB, J.-Mowbray, Nov. 12. JACKSON-CANHAM-On Sept. 29, at St. John's Church, Bulawayo, Robert Jackson, of Shiloh, to Beatrice Dobree, daughter of George Walton Canham, of Surbiton. JONES, J.-HILL, L.-Woodstock, Nov. 11. SINTON-RAE-At Kenhardt, on the 7th inst., Joseph R. Sinton, M.B., C.M., to Isabella Macleod, youngest daughter of the late Rev. John Ellis Rae, of Duntocher. WELLS-LEMAISTRE-On the 7th ult., at St. Peter's Cathedral, Maritzburg, Edward, second son of Alfred D. Wells, of Sinodun, Wallingford, to Evelyn, third daughter of J. L. B. Lemaistre, of Jersey DEATHS AIRTH, A.-Bellair, Nov. 16, aged 70. BAYNHAM-On the 8th ult., in the Government Service, at Clanwilliam, aged 20, Ralph Verner, eldest and dearly-loved son of Captain and Mrs. H. Baynham, of the Tyne Training Ship, H.M.S. Wellesley. BELL-At Mossel Bay, on Nov. 14, Charles D. E. Bell, of H.M. Customs, son of the late Charles D. Bell, Surveyor-General, Cape of Good Hope, and of 4, Glencairn Crescent, Edinburgh. BERLANDINA-On the 8th inst., at Nice, of heart failure, after a long illness, Edward Emanuel Berlandina, 52 years of age, formerly of Berlandina Brothers and Company, London, and of Berlandina and Herbert, Johannesburg. BICCARD-On the 11th inst., at Stewkley, Leighton Buzzard, Elise, widow of C. W. Thalman Biccard, M.D., of Cape Town, aged 66. BUDLER, Mrs. J. F.-D'Urbanville, Nov. 18, aged 78. COHEN, M.-Johannesburg, Nov. 15, aged 16. COLLIER-On the 11th inst., at Johannesburg, in her 22nd year, Margaret Laura Biddulph, the beloved wife of Cuthbert Grey Collier, and third daughter of the late Theophilus Biddulph Pinchard. CONWAY-On the 15th ult., at Bedford, George, the beloved son of Thomas and Helen Conway, Home View, Wimbledon. FRY-On Nov. 12, at Lourenco Marques, of fever, Richard Henry Octavius, the beloved second son of the late Richard Henry Fry, of Norwood, and of Gertrude E. F. Fry, of Gordon House, Victoria Road, Worthing, aged 28. HESSE, L.-Durban, Nov. 9, aged 43. KOHNE, M. D. C.-Wynberg, Nov. 17, aged 41. MACCALLUM-At 3, Kimberley Villas, Observatory, on Wednesday, Nov. 11, Elizabeth Leslie, aged 63 years. OWEN-On Nov. 13, 1908, at noon, killed by lightning at Wedzas, Belingwe, Thelwall Rufus Gwynne, youngest son of the late Hugh Gwynne Owen, aged 21 years. PITTWAY-On Dec. 15, at 37, Warwick Road, Maida Vale, W., suddenly, of heart failure, Dr. H. Edgar Lincoln Pittway, late of Stansted, Essex, aged 37. REYNOLDS-At Maritzburg, on Nov. 8, Charles Smith, only surviving son of Andrew Reynolds, 29, East London Street, Edinburgh, aged 28 years. TUKE-At Durban, on the 6th inst., of enteric fever, Charles William Tuke, youngest son of the late C. W. Tuke, Paymaster, R.N., and of Mrs. Tuke, Ivy Garth, Shooters Hill, London, S.E. WAGNER, F.-Raithby, Nov. 16, aged 71. /2

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Apr 2006 21:01

/2 Miscellaneous articles on the same page: LETTERS TO THE EDITOR 'Big Game Shooting in S.E. Africa' To the Editor of 'South Africa' Sir-The cover of the above book, noticed by you last week, bears a design similar to that on the cover of my 'Pictures of Travel, Sport and Adventure.' As it was designed by myself, it is a piece of impertinence on the part of Mr. Fisher Unwin to appropriate it. As Australian boomerangs and Maori mere-meres form part of it, it is exceeding apposite to Mr. Findlay's book! Yours faithfully, G. Lacy Sandgate, December 14, 1903. IS THIS TRUE? To the Editor of 'South Africa' Sir-As your leading note in the issue of September 5 on the Alliance between England and Portugal might mislead more Britishers to try their fortunes under the Portuguese flag, they should be warned that the alleged friendship only exists between the Kings. It is not possible for a Britisher to get justice or any protection here. About the best money-making business in this country is selling drink to Kafirs, 'As the laws in the British Colonies do not allow it;' so the Kafirs cross the border and buy all they want. A Britisher might have a canteen licence and not be allowed to sell to a Kafir, while Portuguese on both sides of him can do so. After all these professions of friendship, a Britisher should have a fair field. As a rule he does not want any favours. The Portuguese official is about the nicest man in the world to meet; but when you want to do business, although he will promise anything, he will shuffle till Doomsday. It does not matter what line of business a Brit! isher might try, he will find that he is so heavily handicapped as to make it impossible for him to make any headway. If he tries to get a farm, he can not get his titles clear, and Portuguese subjects can plunder his timber, &c., at their sweet will, and it is only a waste of time for him to complain to the officials, as there is no redress. In fact, it is about the last place in this world where any British men or money ought to go, the so-called Alliance notwithstanding. I Am, &c., One Who Has Proved It To His Sorrow. Portuguese East Africa, October 5, 1903. George Owen, a smartly-dressed Australian, was charged at the Durban police Court recently with being an idle and suspicious person. Detective Radford said that the accused was trying to sell what appeared to be ingots of gold. Witness and other detectives stopped him on the Umgeni Road, and found in his bag three bars of brass. The accused stated that he was a runner, and used the bars for training purposes. The magistrate did not accept this explanation, and sentenced the prisoner to one month's imprisonment with hard labour. Copied from the ZA-IB Board

Joy

Joy Report 9 Apr 2006 21:17

Thank you, Lindy :-)

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Apr 2006 21:29

Joy, You are always so polite that I am feeling embarrassed about my outburst the other week. If you like, pm me your email address and I shall email you the ' Domestic Announcements as I get them ' Lindy ;-)))))))))))))

Joy

Joy Report 9 Apr 2006 21:30

Outburst? Didn't see one :-) Whoops, nearly typed the email address here!!! I'll PM it to you. :-) But I bet others like to read them, too.

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 9 Apr 2006 21:31

Thanks again Lindy,I always enjoy reading your interesting threads. I think Joy and I must follow each other LOL!!!!!! kind regards Trish xxx