Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glass

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 20 Aug 2013 09:34

Considering joining a local class on fused glass - learning how to cut and prepare it to make decorative items. Has anyone else tried this?

Kay

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Aug 2013 09:47

Daughter in law has, she made some attractive window hangings among other things. keep us informed of how it goes, might encourage others to join.

K

K Report 20 Aug 2013 12:20

Thanks - the course details are limited, but I really must get enrolled before it fills up.

The local college in Malvern does some amazing courses so I should support them. :-D

Von

Von Report 20 Aug 2013 12:27

I did a course on glass jewellery. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm waiting to do another class with a local jewellery maker now.

Let us know how you get on
Take care
Von

K

K Report 20 Aug 2013 12:48

Just phoned up to book it for October and it was full already!! I should be more organised.

Oh well - will still do printmaking and the glass will have to wait till next term :-(

Von

Von Report 20 Aug 2013 12:54

K
That's a shame. Never mind
I'm sure you will enjoy the printmaking.
Von

K

K Report 18 Nov 2013 08:35

Actually went to a school in Worcester last Sat that runs occasional community workshops in fused glass. http://www.bishopperowne.co.uk/bishop_perowne_community_glass_art_workshop

Great fun and very friendly. Made 2 coasters and a lattice bowl. Just waiting for the firing to see if they survive!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2013 17:46

K How did they turn out? any photos? My daughter in law made a couple of large glass panels (about 10 inches square I think), not sure what she did with them. I do love to look at the glass when finished but I think if doing it myself would have to have a practical use for it. Daughter made a picure for me (in a box) of two sea horses, they were in glass but I don't think she made them from scratch. Thatw as a few years ago, she also did a lot of window light catchers and ised to sell them.

K

K Report 9 Dec 2013 06:13

Hi Ann Just got back our bowls which required two firings. One to fuse the glass the other to slump it into the moulds. Mine was made with a lattice work of kiln paper that leaves a pattern on the glass and my friend made a bowl with a red heart of glass frit in the middle. Delighted with both for a first attempt

The classes work minus our bowls are on this link http://www.bishopperowne.co.uk/glass_workshops_on_saturday_16th_november_galle and I made two tiles which don't show up that well, but are on the central left picture. The colours are red, teal and black with gold sparkles

Went back last Sat and made a bowl with copper flowers which has yet to be fired. It's like being a kid in a candy store with all the wonderful colours of glass

Kay

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2013 09:08

Ooh it does sound exciting K. Coloured glass is always very attractive and as you get more profficient you can make lovely presents for people. I will look at the site later today when I have a bit more time to browse.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Feb 2014 17:54

Another one to nudge up, if these threads are not added to they disappear down the board

Annx

Annx Report 1 Mar 2014 21:44

That's fascinating K. I would love to make some fused glass beads as I make jewellery. Some can be beautiful as a focal bead, but I expect it would be costly to set up to do your own fused glass.

K

K Report 2 Mar 2014 13:23

I would think the main cost is the kiln but if you were only making beads you would only need a small one.

There are some amazing dichroic glass beads on Ebay but it would be special to make your own

Annx

Annx Report 29 Apr 2014 18:12

'n'

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Apr 2014 20:22

K how did the bowls turn out? Any photos? :-)

K

K Report 30 Apr 2014 07:51

The bowls turned out well. Will do a photo later as although I can take them I rely on OH to download etc.

Haven't been back recently as cutting glass is not my strong point and my hands suffer rather :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Apr 2014 08:43

Ouch!! :-)

Annx

Annx Report 19 May 2014 14:08

I look forward to seeing the photos! I haven't contacted her yet, but I have found a lady local to me that teaches using fused glass. I might have a go!! :-)

K

K Report 19 May 2014 16:26

I am very slothful and haven't taken any yet. I think it would be a good idea to go to a local person. I was one of a group of over 20 and there were really was too many people. Good luck, enjoy it and watch your fingers!!

K

K Report 24 May 2014 09:21

Added a photo of a glass bowl which is not too clear and doesn't show the glass bubbles which I love