Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders review the September October 13 books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 6 Dec 2013 13:04

Thanks Ann. Will look, when I have sorted out my christmas gift list!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Dec 2013 12:00

Just checked books by Taylor Caldwell and frank Slaughter are available on Amazon.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Dec 2013 11:57

Hi Tess, yes I read Taylor Caldwell, although I can't remember any of the titles, Did they have a religious slant?

Also Jean Plaidy In fact I have one of hers on my book shelf to read.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 6 Dec 2013 11:28

Feeling better Ann, but have been very active going out and about, when not sleeping all the time.
Have now posted The Cornish House review with the October/November reviews. Seems that I am the only one who like Hannah best!
Still, it wouldn't be an interesting world (or readers group) if we all thought alike!

One of the other authors I used to read aroud the time I read Frank Slaughter, was Taylor Caldwell.
Anyone remember her?

Tess

P.S. And of course Jean Plaidy's historical novels.
I wonder if any of these authors are easily available.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2013 14:22

Tess, in my late teens and twenties loved Frank Slaughter books.

sorry you are under the weather, hope you feel better soon. :-)

Hello Leila :-)

Leila

Leila Report 12 Nov 2013 12:32

:-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 12 Nov 2013 12:22

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. Just a little under the weather at the moment.

Review Triptych by Karin Slaughter

Luckily the description of the plot on the back cover of the book gives nothing away. The reader is left to make their own discoveries and form their own opinions as they get further into the story.

This is another "Will Trent" (the dyslexic detective) book by K.S. he is a fascinating study and a great role model for dyslexics everywhere.

Like Pammy, I worked out who the "baddy" was quite early on, so early in fact that I was waiting for another twist in the tale, to prove me wrong!
Even though I had guessed "who dun it" , there was quite a lot of background detail about the main characters - making them more real. This helped to make the book even more gripping. I remained interested in the plot and the people right to the end.

If you like crime novels - this is one to read..

P.S. I had read some Karin Slaughter books before, I'd been attracted to the name because I used to read Frank Slaughter books in the dim and distant past.

Anyone remember him?

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 3 Nov 2013 00:52

Will try to come back tomorrow (Sunday) with review of Triptych.

Still waiting for The Cornish House.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 6 Oct 2013 17:46

Still waiting for books I requested from the new Library in Birmingham some time ago.

Managed to get a different book by Karin Slaughter. Will attempt a quick review later.
(just in case triptych doesn't turn up!)

Berona

Berona Report 6 Oct 2013 10:08

I'm still reading One Darned Thing, so cannot comment, only that I'm not impressed because I feel that I should know more about how a person becomes a historian to be able to appreciate the story.

Tryptich - by Karen Slaughter

Although this was a story about a boy who was framed, it puts a different slant on the situation, whether guilty or not of the crime. A story of a boy who reared himself, got into drugs very young and found himself in gaol for murder he couldn’t remember. Being so young, the other inmates used him for their sexual needs and he was too young to do anything about it. Although I could never condone, drugs, rape or murder – I couldn’t help feel compassion for a young lad in that situation. To find out that he was innocent and framed certainly helped his future – but what a terrible waste of his youth. Yes, I enjoyed reading it. It was different from the usual crime stories.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Oct 2013 17:37

Thanks all so far.

Pammy I agree that it is really difficult to go back in a book with the kindle. :-(

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 5 Oct 2013 17:30

Tryptich

The book is told from two viewpoints, the 'goodie' detective Michael Ormewood, who is investigating the murder of a prostitute, found with her tongue bitten out and the 'baddie' John who has recently been released from prison after serving a sentence for --- you've guessed it – murdering a girl called Mary Alice when he was 15 and biting out her tongue.

SPOILER

Suddenly the two strands of the story collide (as I reached the part describing the link in their past I had to go back to the beginning, not always easy in a Kindle, to check the detective's reaction to the murder of the prostitute) and you begin to realise that your perceptions are wrong and the cop is the murderer of Mary Alice, the prostitute and many others.
Rather a graphic novel but it held my attention, and although I worked out Michael was the murderer I couldn't work out how John would prove his innocence.

Rosings

A lightweight book, difficult to take seriously. It continues the story of Ann, daughter of Lady Catherine de Bourgh after her cousin Fitzwilliam Darcy has married Elizabeth Bennett. I found the historical inaccuracies irksome, young men and women did not call each other by their first names and I find it unlikely that a group of eligible bachelors would have been invited to Rosings without older relatives.
As for Lady Catherine shouting, I can't imagine it at all! Author has written another follow on but I shan't be bothering to read it.

One Dammed Thing

Haven't quite finished this yet, will post when I do.

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Oct 2013 23:41

Sunshine and Showers By June Francis

I found it strange the way the various characters spoke to each other, was this the norm for 1926-29. The way Joy spoke to David Tanner was a strange way of voicing her concerns re a neighbour who was not there and she was only relying on heresay. I do think the author was trying to convey people's attitudes to those that had a different status in the world but some of it came across as not quite being accurate. Though I have met and come across people like Rita who think that people are after what they can get. In the end despite a few deaths along the way Patsy and Joy both looked like they would be living happily ever after with their relationships.

Triptych by Karin Slaughter

Well she certainly tells a good story, you could almost smell the rawness of it all. I had to keep putting the book down there were times when I had too much information rattling around in my head. Then I would just as quickly be compelled to return and continue. I did read a lot of it at night before turning out the light and slept well maybe because I was safe from such a predator. As thriller writers go she would be up there with the best of them. She kept you interested she understood the system and conveyed all the terrorising things that can happen in this system.

By the time you got to Part 11, part 1 had already conveyed to you a certain mistrust of this Michael Ormewood. From there on in you gradually came to understand his cousin and what he had been through. I did get concerned at some of the twists and turns that happened to him and whether he would be able to turn the tables and work the system. There was no light relief (apart from Betty), the whole story was fairly intense going.

The Cornish House by Liz Fenwick

I suggested it but I was a little disappointed, I was hoping that there would be more digging around in the past and not having to deal with putting ghosts to rest.. Interesting though to have the grave inside the secret hidey hole behind the fireplace. I was a teenager once(surprise) as were my girls as are my granddaughters and while we have all been a bit smart with our answers at times Hannah needed pulling down a peg or two. To her credit Maddie did find out about her mother and what happened and this in turn led her to finding her father, but I just felt there needed to be something more. I was left feeling in the end 'so what' even if it did end up all happy families.

The Beach Cafe by Lucy Diamond

From the day Evie the black sheep was born and on through her ups and downs in getting started in the cafe to the bringing together of a community. It was such a good story and read like something that could easily happen in every day life. From her teenage summer romance turning up in the pub and becoming a pudgy sleezeball and being the subject of gossip from the village and the Matthews of this world knowing what's best for her to her finding out that there can be just what she needed, just what she wanted, just what she would enjoy at the beach. What a colourful bunch of characters and the writer wrote it so well that you understood them all.

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 4 Oct 2013 19:45

Have seen and will post tomorrow

Mersey

Mersey Report 4 Oct 2013 19:04

The Cornish House - Liz Fenwick

Maddie is an artist and her stepdaughter (Hannah) not the nicest of teenager's, the end up coming together after the death of Maddie's husband....

They leave London to live in Cornwall to a house Maddie has inherited for some unusual reasons that she cannot understand and as to why she has actually inherited the house.....

This is a lovely story with added mystery and clues in which are dropped about the house and it's surroundings.....

The way the author talks about the places , Cornwall, Falmouth sounds stunning and beautiful.....another book that makes me want to go to cornwall :-)

Novel In the Viola-Natasha Solomns

The youngest daughter of an opera singer and a novelist, they are in the process of acquiring a visa to move to New York. Dur to unforsceen circumstances which I do not want to ruin if you have not read yet, they cannot take Elise their daughter with them so she is forced to place an advertisement offering her services as a parlour maid....

She is offered a job in Tyneford, but she really suffers from homesickness, she falls for the charm of Kit the son of the owner of the House and land......

I again do not want to spoil the story, but I actually found the book a little slow and guessed right what was going to happen.

It was a very easy read but I was expecting more, perhaps I was expecting something like Upstairs Downstairs kind of storyline. also a little too long in the story telling, just seemed to drag on.........

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Oct 2013 12:14

review Sunshine and Showers by June Francis

Not a bad read, typical Liverpool story, orphans make good. Some good characterisation. Nothing deep, just a well written saga, it stands alone but from the book list I assume it is part of a series.

review Triptych (Will Trent). By Karin Slaughter

I quite enjoy detective stories and thrillers sometimes when on holiday. I didn't dislike this one but found some of it a bit too graphic. I guessed the baddy very early on so it was just a case of reading to see if I was right. I am not sure I would bother to read more of her books. Maybe if they were free! Didn't enjoy it really.

review the Cornish house by Liz Fenwick

This is the second first novel I have read and another impressive one. A fairly predictable step mother/daughter problem story but well thought out with believable characters and story lines. I found I swung between feeling sympathy for Maddie and then for Hannah. I did wonder if there was going to be a twist and the house would actually belong to somebody else when they started to bring in research on the family tree. Anyway I enjoyed the tale, it made good holiday reading, not too taxing but not too light either.

I also liked the author's explanation about finding the house, being one who wrote my own story based on a house I love here in Tenerife.

Greaders review Just One Damned Thing After another by Jodi Taylor

I said, when I started this one that it was out of my comfort zone as it seemed to be science fiction. Well I suppose it is but it is more, Time Travel (A La Dr Who) and great chunks of history thrown in. Romance, science, betrayal, friendship and fighting for survival included.
Max, the heroine of the story has a Doctorate in history. Her ex-headmistress contacts her about a position at a sister establishment to her old university. From the time of the interview with Dr Bairstow, the head of the facility, Max thinks that "Thinking carefully is something that happened to other people" and signs to join.
The fast pace and the twists of the story really keep you intrigued and the sheer detail in Dr Maxwell’s induction into St Mary's and how the institute works was well thought out and really interesting The characters are well rounded and well thought out and believable.
It is difficult to believe that this is a first book it is unbelievably good with plenty of laugh out loud scenes. It is very well written. And at the end you are left, for a moment, thinking. Well, perhaps it could happen.
Unexpectedly I really enjoyed it and will look out for others by this author. Unfortunately for those who have not got a Kindle, I had not noticed before but it is not in any other format

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Oct 2013 11:58

Please review any of the following

Winner Tryptich by Karin Slaughter
Runners up
The Cornish House
One Damned thing after another
Rosings
The Last Goodbye