Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders suggestions November 13 - Jan 14

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2013 15:44

6 weeks takes us to the 4th of January. With Christmas in the middle can you put when you post suggestions whether you want to go to the 4th or the 11th January please.

As usual 2 books. Please try and not suggest brand new books as some people are unable to get them.

Vote will either be Friday pm or Monday PM. :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2013 16:26

A season to Remember by Sheila O’Flanagan
For the perfect Christmas getaway join the guests at the luxurious Sugar Loaf Lodge

A Heartbroken visitor tries to forget the past; a stressed couple long for peace and quiet; a young woman eagerly anticipates a romantic night with the man she loves- although he should be spending it with someone else. Meanwhile the hotel’s owners are determined to make this a holiday to remember. But will everyone’s Christmas wishes come true?
Guaranteed to warm your heart on a cold winter’s night.

Desperate Measures by Kitty Neale
Don’t get mad, get even....
Val, Paula, Cheryl and Betty have one thing in common – they have all been betrayed by men.
Rape victim Paula has been terrified since her brutal attack.
High-flyer Val’s life has fallen to pieces since she was forced out of her job
Grief stricken by her grandmother’s death nurse Cheryl was tricked out of her inheritance.
Timid housewife Betty sacrificed all for her husband. Now, 20 years later, he’s left her and she is destitute.

Now these four women want revenge. Masterminded by Val. They set out to right past wrongs. But will their role of avenging angels take them down a terrible road?

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 20 Nov 2013 18:08

Will have to check my unread books to see what I can suggest this time.

Might not be back till tomorrow.

Can we review on 11th January please.

Mersey

Mersey Report 20 Nov 2013 22:04

Daughters of War - Hilary Green

A thrilling and passionate World War I saga - The year is 1912, and Britain is gripped by fear of war with Germany. Intelligent, headstrong Leonora Malham Brown feels stifled by her middle-class upbringing, so when feisty Victoria Langford introduces her to the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, she seizes her chance - and when trouble flares in the Balkans, the girls head to Bulgaria to offer their assistance on the battlefield. Neither are prepared for the grim realities of war, but as well as danger, fear and excitement, Leo will find unexpected - and passionate - romance.

The Kommandants Girl - Pam Jenoff

Based in part on actual events, The Kommandant's Girl is a compelling tale of love and courage in a dangerous and desperate times. Unique in voice and evocative in historical detail, this stunning debut faithfully explores the gray area between right and wrong and the timeless themes of home, stuggle and defiance in the face of overwhelming odds. Nineteen-year-old Emma Bau has been married only three weeks when Nazi tanks thunder into her native Poland. Within days Emma's husband, Jacob, is forced to disappear underground, leaving her imprisoned within the city's decrepit, moldering Jewish ghetto. But then, in the dead of night, the resistance smuggles her out. Taken to Krakow to live with Jacob's Catholic cousin, Krysia, Emma takes on a new identity as Anna Lipowski, a gentile. Emma's already precarious situation is complicated by her introduction to Kommandant Richwalder, a high-ranking Nazi official who hires her to work as his assistant. Urged by the resistance to use her position to access details of the Nazi occupation, Emma must compromise her safety--and her marriage vows--in order to help Jacob's cause. As the atrocities of war intensify, so does Emma's relationship with the Kommandant, building to a climax that will risk not only her double life, but also the lives of those she loves.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 21 Nov 2013 15:49

Atlas of Unknowns Tania James

In the wake of their mother's mysterious death, Linno and Anju Vallara are raised in Kerala bytheir father and grandmother. When seventeen-year-old Anju wins a scolarship to an enclusive New York schoo; she jumps at the chance to embrace all that America has to offer - but in so doing she commits an act of betrayal that severs her relationship to her sister.

When Anju's lies cathch up with her, she runs away, helped by a kindly stranger who seems to know more about Anju's past than she has been told.
Meanwhile, Linno has begun a journey of her own - towards her sister, towards the memory of their mother, and towards a future she could never have imagined.

The Solitude of Thomas Cave Georgina Harding

It is August 1616. The whaling ship Heartease has ventured into the deep Artic, but the crew must return home before the ice closes in. All, that is save Thomas Cave. he makes a wage that he will remain there alone until the next season, though no man has yet been known to have survived a winter this far north.
So he is left with provisions, shelter, and a journal - should he not live to tell the tale ......

P.S. Both these books are debut novels.

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 21 Nov 2013 17:46

The Bad Mother by Isabelle Grey

Recently divorced, Tessa Parker runs a successful B&B in a seaside town. During a surprise visit from Australia, a long-lost aunt lets slip a family secret that unsettles her fragile world.

In shock, and feeling betrayed by her whole family, Tessa confides in her ex-husband just as he reveals he has a new woman in his life.

Struck unexpectedly by jealousy; balancing her own turmoil against the demands of parenting, Tessa tries to trace her birth father, with devastating results. Yet she fails to see how this is a crucial moment in her children's lives. If she gets things wrong, the consequences could be fatal.

Little Girl Lost by Brian McGilloway

During a winter blizzard a small girl is found wandering half-naked at the edge of an ancient woodland. Her hands are covered in blood, but it is not her own. Unwilling or unable to speak, the only person she seems to trust is the young officer who rescued her, Detective Sergeant Lucy Black. DS Black is baffled to find herself suddenly transferred from a high-profile case involving the kidnapping of a prominent businessman's teenage daughter, to the newly formed Public Protection Unit. Meanwhile, she has her own problems: caring for her Alzheimer's-stricken father; and avoiding conflict with her surly Assistant Chief Constable – who also happens to be her mother. As she struggles to identify the unclaimed child, Lucy begins to realise that this case and the kidnapping may be linked – by events that occurred during the blackest days of the country's recent history, events that also defined her own girlhood. Little Girl Lost is a devastating page-turner about corruption, greed and vengeance, and a father's love for his daughter.

The 11th would suit me best, please

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 22 Nov 2013 10:01

Left Neglected by Lisa genova

Sarah has it all a high flying career, two homes, children and a loving husband. but one fateful day whilst driving to work she has an accident, and it leaves her with a condition whereby her brain doesn't recognise her left side. Suddenly she has to re=evaluate her life, and has many choices to make.

The Grave tattoo by Val McDermid

When a tatooed body is found in the Lake District, it starts rumours again the Fletcher Christian of the Bounty had spent the last years of his life there, with his friend Wordsworth. Jane Gresham has long held the belief that he could have come back home. It becomes a race between her and her ex to find documentary evidence

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 22 Nov 2013 10:02

Sorry Ann the 11th would suit me better

Jan

Jill in France

Jill in France Report 22 Nov 2013 19:32

The broken Man by Josephine Cox
Edward Carter is a bully of a man, who inspires fear in the hearts of all who meet him. Adam Carter is twelve years old, an only child with no friends nor any self confidence. His father’s reign of terror over his family has Adam’s mother Peggy too cowed to protect her son, so Adam’s only support comes in the shape of Phil Wallis, the school bus driver.

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

Winnie is generally able to make the best of things, until she finds herself on the holiday from hell. John arrived on an impulse after he missed a flight at Shannon. And then there's Henry and Nicola, burdened with a terrible secret, who are hoping the break at Stone House will help them find a way to face the future...

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2013 20:59

Thanks Jill
Still Berona and Perse to come

Berona

Berona Report 22 Nov 2013 22:39

Putting Out the Stars....Roisin Meaney

Laura and Donal, Breffni and Cian, Andrew and Ruth: three contented middle-class couples, gathering at each other's houses for dinner parties, bound together by shared memories of childhood adventures. But, beneath the cosy contentment of their lives lies tensions that threaten to erupt at any moment. Andrew, Laura's handsome brother, has just returned home from Crete with his bride in tow, the surprisingly timid Ruth, who is finding it hard to fit in with Andrew's overbearing mother, Cecily. And, to her increasing concern, Andrew doesn't seem to have his mind entirely on her... Laura is desperate to have a family, and can't understand why Donal doesn't seem to share her only wish. And the beautiful, glamorous Breffni, with her lovely husband, Cian, and the golden child, Polly, well, she has the greatest surprise in store...

If the Shoes Fit.....Pauline Lawless

Calling All Shoe Addicts', said the advertisement that triggered a response in four very different women, each at a difficult time of her life. Niamh, at 23, the mother of a five-year-old and twin girls aged four, is desperate to have a home of her own. She longs to escape the house of her vicious mother-in-law but her charming, irresponsible husband and the mountain of debts they have makes this seem ever more unlikely. Amber, former air stewardess whose husband Dermot left her for a younger woman, has lost all her confidence and is drowning her sorrows with alcohol. Tessa, beautiful former model, paid the price for living life in the fast lane when she almost died from a heart attack. Her reliable friend, George, persuaded her to come and live with him in Ireland. She now realises that she's made a dreadful mistake. Rosie, recently widowed, can't come to terms with the loss of the man she loved so much. Life without him doesn't seem worth living. All of them, needing a way out, find it with the Italian designer shoe company, 'If The Shoes Fit'. This leads them to a new career, great friendships and a life-changing experience.

Don't really care, but prefer 11th.

Jill in France

Jill in France Report 23 Nov 2013 08:00

Oops. 11th for me xx

Persephone

Persephone Report 23 Nov 2013 10:15

why have I got 24th Nov on my sticky note?

And then I see my name top of page.. and here I am typing late at night..

I think I shall abstain for awhile.

I know I always try and read two or three or even four and have been known to read five but I have so many books here to read and I don't want to take them all with me when I move next year.

I am doing such a clean out of all sorts of things and have been getting more ruthless as time progresses.

I will follow what you put up though and the reviews, just to make notes for when we move to Cambridge (yep we have one in NZ too)

Persie

Edit: and we are also flat out with trades people and ourselves where possible, to get our place renovated and finished to sell in Feb/March. Himself was just about bent double with concrete cutting and pneumatic drilling there for awhile and we have all this concrete rubble etc out front at the moment.... there is dust everywhere every day as well.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Nov 2013 11:51

Ok Perse

I did put up that I had to post early as I was going away but that the vote could be held until 25th if people didn't catch up with it. I put your name there to catch your attention before I left home this morning. Now trying to manage it on my Ipad which is not easy.

Let us know when you are coming back.

Persephone

Persephone Report 23 Nov 2013 20:43

Thanks Glossie Ann..

I am always in touch with you somewhere, some place, sometime..

Persie