Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Knitting

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 18 Jun 2014 12:40

Does anyone knit?

I had a wonderful day out yesterday at a wool store at Llanfair Caereinion near Welshpool in Wales. The store is attached to the factory where they make the wool and different types of yarn. Three rooms filled with the some sublime colours.

Ended up buying too much, but lots of projects to look forward to.

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Jun 2014 14:17

Hi K

The only things I can knit are scarfs LOL but I do love making them, haven't done it in a while and was considering to try and make a blanket of some sort........

Im not very good at it,just the basics but am tempted to pick my needles up again....

So what have you got in mind??

:-)

K

K Report 18 Jun 2014 15:45

I got one small hank of soft violet silk in their sale and have started a small scarf, but I am so eager to see how a multi colour (teals/blues/greys) chenille knits that I am also started a v neck jumper with it :-S My knitting is limited to the summer months as knitting inside starts me coughing

Blanket sounds a great idea and you can use oddments of wool. It's an idea I may try next year to use up the yarns I have left over from previous projects. It's lovely in the summer sitting in the shade in the afternoon with your knitting and watching the world go by and you can convince yourself that you are being productive :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Jun 2014 21:27

K there is a Sunday market I know and there is a lovely wool stall there, so might take a peek when I can get there.......look what you have started now :-D

K

K Report 19 Jun 2014 06:00

Brilliant Mersey - I find the process of knitting so relaxing - unless I have to unpick my mistakes :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 21 Jun 2014 21:35

Hi K I have just found a blanket I want to knit, im going to do a small one for my niece to get me started.......Im going to go pink ....hope this link works

https://www.etsy.com/listing/87528500/baby-blanket-knitting-pattern

K

K Report 22 Jun 2014 07:00

Hi Mersey - Looks brilliant - the link works fine. All you need now is so wool :-D

Are you going to the Sunday Market this morning? I see you're ready for Wimbledon :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 22 Jun 2014 15:21

Hi K, I have beento the market this morning:-D :-D....I have bought a few balls of very pale grey wool to start me off...so watch this space.........it could take me a while lol ;-) ;-)

How are you doing?? :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2014 18:00

We shall look forward to photos of the finished projects from both of you!!

K

K Report 22 Jun 2014 20:43

Hi Mersey - Pale grey sounds lovely. Do you have the right needles?

I have done about 12 inches of the scarf, but I have switched me efforts mostly now to the v necked jumper as I fear I may need another ball to finish it so need to check before they run out of the colour as it was a discontinued line.

I am up to the dividing v of the front of the jumper - but it is a chunky knit so quite quick and it was too hot to do much else this afternoon.. I will soon slow down when the weather cools down later this week :-D

A friend came round today and liked the wool so we may pop back in the next few weeks for another look.

Thanks for the encouragement Ann. Do you fancy picking up your needles :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 22 Jun 2014 22:25

Hi K I am using 4mm needles on the advice of Mum and she has made me an easy pattern which will hopefully make squares.......Ive started but lets wait and see it might be a long time LOL...... Im going to edge it (well Mum is) ina very pale pink flowery material........

I will put a picture up when it starts taking shape :) if I havent given up by then lol...

Good luck with your knit K, and thanks for putting the thread up as well, got me interested after looking on Pinterest and reading your post......

K

K Report 29 Jun 2014 08:43

Hi Mersey - How is it going?? Have you started? :-)

I am the same place as last week.. Like an idiot I forgot to cast on stitches after the rib on the jumper so had to unpick and re knit. Also out of action for a few days after getting a huge splinter down a nail. I was sanding a door and it fought back!

Weather set fair for outside knitting this week I think after the amazing rain over the last few days

Mersey

Mersey Report 29 Jun 2014 09:09

Good morning K I thought I had not seen you around....hope all is ok now and it was not too painful, although splinters can be excruciating especially if you cannot get it out

...I have started but will admit to restarting twice :(.....But I am getting there ......only done a few inches but im sticking with it...We have a shop here in Liverpool called El Kilo where you can buy fabric in bundles or by the weight so going there through the week to see what I can find to use as edging for the blanket.....

Hope you can get back to your knitting soon

You take care and be careful with the sander in future :-D ;-) <3

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 29 Jun 2014 17:33

Hi K, I really love knitting. I knit for my twin granddaughters ( 9 mths old) but mainly I knit for Preemies uk and my local hospital neo natal ward. I really love doing the tiny garments as they knit up so quickly. Every time I go near a wool shop or stall I promise myself I wont buy anymore until I have used up my stash and then I see some lovely colours and suddenly I've bought it. ;-) Happy knitting everyone. :-)

K

K Report 30 Jun 2014 07:40

Morning Mersey - Finger better and back to the knitting. Delighted to hear you have started. Googled your El Kilo shop in Liverpool and it looks amazing. I see you can order online - Very tempting and reasonable prices. I may have to resurrect my sewing machine

Morning AnnMarie - Your knitting for premature babies sounds really worthwhile, and knitting for your granddaughters must be such fun. I am so glad someone else gets tempted at wool shops. On holiday last year I found a shop with the most amazing multicolour German sock wool. I did knit a pair of socks, but I almost bought another ball of the wool just to look at :-D

Happy knitting to you both and keep the needles clicking :-D <3

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 1 Jul 2014 14:38

I like doing a little knitting ,have just done my three Grandaughter's a little short sleeved Bolero each ,the two youngest had theirs done in that random wool in pinks and the oldest had hers in just a plain pink.

I've also made them little sun dresses and was quite pleased with how they turned out as i didn't use a pattern just gathered them with elastic at the top and added some straps and bows .

Was only looking the other day when i went to the craft shop at all the lovely wools you can get now ,some knit up so fine it looks almost like cobwebs !! :-D

It's the price of patterns that amazes me , i still have some old ones with 3d and 6d on them :-D don't know why i keep them as they are hardly the height of fashion any more !! :-D

K

K Report 2 Jul 2014 06:52

Hi MillymollyAmanda - Glad you are enjoying knitting and sewing. The price of patterns are amazing, but then wool can also be an incredible price!

Talking of old things I have many pre metric needles as well as the metric and often found it so confusing trying to work out which numbering system a needle is. :-S Does anyone else have that problem or it is just me?

Recently I found a gauge that measures the needle size for both metric and pre metric needles which has helped enormously :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 5 Jul 2014 11:37

Hi MillyMollyAmanda....I wish I was as clever as you and K with your knitting.My Mum is fantastic and has the patience of a saint when it comes to her knitting and sewing, unfortunately I do not LOL but am enjoying trying.......

K I have not done much at all this week I will admit but will keep going........ :-D How is yours going?? <3

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 5 Jul 2014 13:38

Hi Mersey , i think you have to sit quite take your time when knitting, follow the pattern and mark it off in pencil as you go , it's lovely to see it growing and taking shape .
And that what mums are for ....helping when you drop the stitches LOL

You say you want to have a go at a blanket , that's a good idea as you could do lots of different patterns in small squares ,you could have a go at making a cushion with the squares ,that would be some thing a bit smaller to start with :-)

My little grandaughter is 6 and now having a go at the french knitting ,i remember doing that with a cotton reel and four tacks in the top , it comes out in a long cord and then you have to find some thing to do with it !! :-D
She's quite good at looping the wool over i think it's because she's been doing the Loom bands :-D

K

K Report 5 Jul 2014 14:59

Hi Mersey and MillymollyAmanda, I agree with MmA's words of wisdom. I all to often skim read the instructions and have to unpick my knitting - more haste less speed. I must say that I knit for the enjoyment - the end result can sometimes fall short of what I intended :-S

My aunt taught me to knit when I was 7 and then we had a knitting project at school, which I am sure they don't do anymore. I choose a pixie hood which I did complete but after many unpicked rows that went wrong. Mersey soon you will be finding it easier - small steps all mount up and have made something you can be proud off :-D

I have finished the front of the jumper and am half way up the back. I had to send for an extra ball as I decided to make the jumper longer than the pattern suggested.. :-D Nothing to do with knitting but I was born at the source of the Mersey (in Stockport) :-D :-D