Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes Book Club - Mr Lynch's holiday reviews

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GenesBookClub

GenesBookClub Advisor Report 14 Aug 2014 15:51

Hi everyone,

To those of you who were selected to receive a free copy of Mr Lynch's holiday, we hope you enjoy reading it and would love to hear what you think of the book. 

Happy reading!

Book Club

stella

stella Report 8 Sep 2014 20:25

This book is a really good read it was very interesting reading about the relationship's between the characters and how they came to the conclusion where everything worked out.I enjoyed reading about the journey each character went on.
Thank you

Lynda

Lynda Report 9 Sep 2014 16:34

I enjoyed the closeness that developed between father and son and how they supported each other for the better, especially the fathers instinct in knowing what was the best for the future of his son and being there for him until he found his happiness.

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Sep 2014 14:33

Once again I must thank Genes Book Club for a really enjoyable read.
I had read Catherine O'Flynn's earlier book 'What was lost' and enjoyed it but I really loved 'Mr Lynch's Holiday.
the two main characters - father and son - are beautifully drawn and Dermot Lynch (Mr Lynch of the title), particularly, is very likeable.
these two characters' stories become clear in chapters about their earlier lives but this is skilfully done and is not annoying or confusing.
The setting is an ex-pat. community where most of the residents have moved to a Spanish modern development just as the economy started to go downhill and the bottom fell out of the property market. The residents' anxiety about this and the deserted feeling of their surroundings is very realistically described.
I enjoyed the story and the relationship between the father and son.
A lovely book. I will be looking for Catherine O'Flynn's next one.

Pat

Whizz

Whizz Report 13 Sep 2014 14:43

This was a nice book and I'm using nice in its purest sense. This isn't a book to win awards or hit the best seller lists for weeks on end but it is well written and readable. It has much to say about the relationship between parent and child and how it doesn't matter how old you or your child become you still always want to do what's best for them. It's a book about attitudes and class and aspirations and expectation. It is a controlled and sedate piece of writing that is curiously calming to read. It's a good contrast with the some of the blood and thunder novels about at the moment. Thank you Penguin and Genes Reunited for giving me the opportunity to read this delightful book.

Judi79

Judi79 Report 14 Sep 2014 17:26

Mr Lynch's Holiday is not the kind of book I would normally pick to read. Having said that I actually enjoyed it.
It's a story of a father and only son who have never quite 'jelled' and the father's visit to see his son after his own wife has died. The son is quietly despairing and giving up on himself after his long term partner has left and is also trying to deal with the nightmare of their buying into the Spanish dream which has gone sour due to the economic downturn.
There seems to be no way out for the son especially when he also loses his job and his partner does not answer his emails and texts.
But there is a good ending in sight thanks to the love and good sense of his father.
I loved the gentle humour of this book and the view into the two main characters lives past and present.
I would definitely read another book by this author.
Thanks for the opportunity :-)

Kellie

Kellie Report 15 Sep 2014 13:36

Mr Lynch’s Holiday

Mr Lynch’s Holiday is a simple but interesting storyline. The relationship between son and dad is quite strained initially. The dad, a retired Birmingham/Irish bus driver is an interesting character, who I really warmed too, his son - deep and melancholic, I must admit irritated me.

Catherine O’Flynn’s writing style is brilliant, and I especially liked how it meandered between the past and present. The ending was agreeable too.

:-D

Winifred

Winifred Report 15 Sep 2014 20:37

Mines just arrived. After reading all your reviews I am really looking forward to the read. Will write mine up when I've read.....poss after the weekend. W x

Winifred

Winifred Report 21 Sep 2014 09:18

Well this is not normally my genre but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It certainly kept me interested.....a page turner I would even say.
I wanted to know how the relationship between father and son developed and what interesting things the father would find in this new country....to him that is.
The characters are well drawn and for the most part believable. I didn't think the secrets were shocking as one of the cover blurbs indicated. I am an ex pat here in Cyprus so I could relate to the financial and building disasters that were portrayed, which many have experienced here recently.
I also enjoyed learning about the fathers early life arriving in England from Ireland and the aspects of his life and how his relationship developed with his wife and the Catholic church.
I liked that the ending 'rounded it all up' but I hope there's a follow up novel. I would love to know how well the father settled in Spain and what adventures he got up to in his new life.......maybe find love... and does the son find the letters from the priest to his mother and of more interest what do they contain? These are just two of the questions I would like to ask the author.
I would say this is an easy, enjoyable holiday read.

Jan

Jan Report 21 Sep 2014 22:03

I was really pleased to receive this book, as it was not one that I would usually think to read. The relationship between the father and son was quite sweet really and I liked the way that they helped each other. They grew much closer and I was really pleased with the ending. :-)

Nicola

Nicola Report 22 Sep 2014 17:03

I really enjoyed Mr Lynchs Holiday. I loved the lives of the other characters. I loved the moment he looked at his Dad and realised that he wasn't who he thought he was and that he didn't really know him. A lovely story very well written. And a wonderful ending :-)

TeresainWirral

TeresainWirral Report 3 Nov 2014 15:37

Bit late with my review. I enjoyed the book , nice feel good one, and I liked the idea that the father was happy to start again in Spain, which probably gave him a more fulfilling life than he would have had if he returned to England, whereas his son by returning to England got out of the pit of despair that he was sunk in.