Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robinson Relatives 2

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 20 Jul 2011 22:29

I would like to find any relatives on my paternal side, they would be connected via my father Paul Geoffrey Robinson (b.1946). His parents were Ralph Bertram "Robbie" Robinson and Pamela Mabel (Eve) Robinson nee Thompson. He has two living siblings, Peter Robinson and Sarah Louise Robinson. I have been in touch with 2 relatives but am being avoided due to my fathers actions whilst residing in the UK (way before I was born). I would like to point out that I understand that it is neccesary to avoid my father and that I do not have a relationship with him.

Also, I remember my father mentioning a third child (other than myself and my brother). Any information confirming if this is true or false would be greatly appreciated.

My mother passed away suddenly on the 18th (brain dead on the 16th, so legally thats when she died) I have no other family at all. I'm sorry if this sounds like a sympathy plea but that is just the situation I am in.

Any information and/or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is something wrong with this post I would be most grateful if you would contact me yourself (on GR obviously) so we can discuss the issue as opposed to "sweeping it under the rug" as they say.

Thank you very much.

patchem

patchem Report 20 Jul 2011 22:37

Have you looked on here to see if anyone has him in their tree?
Have you got your parents' marriage certificate for the name of his Father?

Flick

Flick Report 20 Jul 2011 22:41

If your parents were married, you can look for the birth reg'n of the 'third child', assuming that the child was a product of their marriage

This, of course, assumes that the events all took place in England/Wales

Flick

Flick Report 20 Jul 2011 22:44

I believe that you were given the opportunity to edit your earlier post, but didn't do so...........hence its referral.

I didn't see the post - it had been referred before I signed in this evening, but I did read the replies it engendered.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jul 2011 23:01

a wee bit more information could be useful. ... when and where did your parents marry ( assuming they married, not all parents did ) and as Flick says was the third child your father's only or a child of their marriage or relationship ?

it does not seem that your father had siblings ... the parents' surnames are very common ... there are two children with the same surname combination born a decade later not so far from his place of birth ... the births were in the place where there is a marriage for your father's name in 1970 which is why I might wonder whether they are siblings ... but there is a probably more likely marriage for the two surnames in that location in the 1950s that would account for those births ...

but there are dozens and dozens of marriages with the same surnames as your father's parents

... do you know whether he was an only child ? his parents names ?

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 21 Jul 2011 00:12

My father had three siblings, Peter and Sarah (both younger) Robinson, their parents were Ralph Bertram Robinson "Robbie" and Pamela Mabel Robinson (nee thompson). His parent divorced in the late 60s and early 70s and his father married Helga Robinson (maiden name unknown) and had a son named Mark Andrew Robinson (1972? - 1991?) who died young unfortunately.

My parents did not marry. IF there is a third child she/he would have been born before 1988. This person would be my half sibling (my fathers child only).

Again, any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 21 Jul 2011 00:13

I wasn't given any notice regarding the post, so I decided to re-post it.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jul 2011 00:45

to try to get some dates and places ... would this be Helga's death ?

Name: Helga Robinson
Birth Date: 2 Mar 1920
Date of Registration: Sep 1996
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Isle of Wight
Inferred County: Isle of Wight
Register number: A77A
District and Subdistrict: 5561A
Entry number: 131

Your father's father's death

Name: Ralph Bertram Robinson
Birth Date: 11 Jul 1922
Date of Registration: Jul 1987
Age at Death: 65
Registration district: Cambridge
Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
Volume: 9
Page: 773

... but I see no birth to match that information ...

do you know any more about his mother ? did she remarry ? ... I don't see a marriage for a Ralph B Robinson to a Thompson ... or a Pamela M Thompson to a Robinson ( or Pamela M any surname to a Ralph Robinson )... !!

the idea being to see whether each had siblings whose families could perhaps be located

are the family members who do not wish contact relations on your father's mother's or father's side, or are they his siblings or their families ?

it's important to know what information you do have ( without disclosing personal details of course ... just the people's relationship would help to know )

as for the possibility of your father's other child ... even if she was registered under the surname Robinson ... there is just no possible way of finding who she was without knowing at least her name or her mother's name ... and even then ...

you still haven't given any idea of geographic area, for instance I only know your father's place of birth from searching the index and matching an entry to the results of a tree search here at genesreunited ...

it's late now, maybe in the morning someone will have a bright idea, but I am afraid there will probably not be much help can be offered by us here ........

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jul 2011 00:48

well, this helps to know ...........

Ralph Robinson 1922 Zoppot, Free City Of Danzig (Gdansk), Poland

....... saves any more searching in English indexes ......

was the marriage outside England as well ?

that is something we ask about because the marriage certificate would give you the names of the fathers of your father's parents ......

also

Pamela Thompson 1922 Sevenoaks Kent

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 21 Jul 2011 01:23

That is my grandfathers death, as far as Helga goes I can't be sure. They did have a son named Mark Andrew Robinson.

Ralphs parents were John Robinson and Herda Anne Dorothea Robinson (nee Schnell) and Pamelas parents were Frederick Thompson and Florence Thompson (nee Hills).

I was told that Pamela did remarry, to whom I don't know. She and Ralph married in Alexandria in 1944. He was an RAF Flight Sergeant at the time and she was in the WRNS.

The relations I have been in contact with are his sister Sarah and his fathers (Ralphs) cousin Margaret Edwards.

Thank you so much for all you're doing. As I said I just lost my mother and am just a bit frazzled. So, thank you.

Flick

Flick Report 21 Jul 2011 09:13

Was your father married to the mother of this 'third child'?

Where was the birth supposed to have occurred? Was it in England/Wales?

Was your birth registered under your father's surname?

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 21 Jul 2011 13:56

I don't know if he married the mother. It would have occured in England and it was probably registered under my fathers surname. Also, he mentioned that he had a girlfriend with the first name of Prudence who was pregnant at one time.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jul 2011 14:50

rats I was sure I had posted here last night before retiring ...

what I meant to say was that trying to find the birth of a child whose surname might or might not be Robinson, in an unknown location, with only an approximate time period ........... unfortunately that is an impossibility.

I apologise for not taking proper note of what you said, that you had just lost your mum, of course this is a frazzling time .... it might not be the best time to undertake a search like this ? maybe take some time to gather your thoughts ......

it does seem so sad that your father's family don't want to know, possibly when they have had time to get used to the idea of his children wanting to know the better side of their father's family they will be more open to contact.

ps we all check 'my threads' when we are on the site here and we see when there are additions to threads we have posted in so no need to send a private message each time, it just clogs up the works :-)

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 21 Jul 2011 15:42

Thanks for the concern but I need to do this now, she'd have wanted me to.

That's all I ever wanted actually, just to know and have faith that there are good people in my family. I know that they are frightened of my father but if just one person would be willing to give me a chance I know they'd see that I'm nothing like him. Plus, it's really difficult dealing with this sort of thing all on your own.

Thanks again

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 22 Jul 2011 16:17

Ok, got a weird message this morning, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to "stalk" anyone. People have me mistaken for someone else and unless you have been through that, you have no idea how painful it is to be mistaken for someone like that.

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 23 Jul 2011 15:14

Also, before my grandparents divorced they were living in Sevenoaks, Kent. On Harry something road.

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 24 Jul 2011 20:13

Also, there was a family house located in Birmingham in Kings Heath. It has been mentioned in my grandfathers will as well as on the passenger list registration for when my great grandmother moved to Melbourne in 1953.

Speaking of which, she was traveling with a 29 year old nurse who had an infant boy at the time. Her name is Sybil Ross, who is Australian. Any suggestions on how I can follow up on that lead will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 25 Jul 2011 05:49

Also, I am trying to find the birth information on my uncle Peter Robinson. He has the same parents as my father Ralph Bertram Robinson and Pamela Mabel Thompson. It's just that with such a common name it isn't easy.

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 25 Jul 2011 19:15

Also, (i know this is a lot) anyone who can suggest information on finding records (other than birth/death etc.) on my father I would really appreciate the help. His life whilst in England is still a mystery to me, I know next to nothing.

For instance, is it possible to locate a marriage record using the husbands info only?

Thanks again

GingerGirl90

GingerGirl90 Report 28 Jul 2011 21:38

ok, the rambling continues. I know my Aunts married name is Sarah Ryder.
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being impertanant (sp?) but its just I dont think a lot of people on here understand how bad a situation I'm in.