Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Garrity C1944 Lancaster adopted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 14 Aug 2011 16:28

I am trying to trace my Mums Half brother. Born in Lancaster, Lancashire in C1944. He was adopted when he was a few months old. Very sad story. Birth Mother was called Florence May Garrity nee Tague. Please help. Thank you

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 15 Aug 2011 02:38

Note spelling

Name Joseph Garrety
Year of Registration 1945
Quarter of Registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District Lunesdale
Registration County Lancashire
Mother's maiden name Tague
Volume Number 8E
Volume Page 938

OK to post as the person was adopted <<<<<<<<<

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 15 Aug 2011 02:40

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1277323

Hi I am trying to find a birth certificate for a Joseph Garrity or Tague or Hinde? born around 1944. He was adopted when he was a few months old by a couple in Whitehaven, Cumbria. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 20 Aug 2011 19:59

Hi have found some more information about Joseph. He was registered as Joseph Jones born 2nd qtr 1944. Registered under my great aunts married name of Jones and mothers maiden name of Jones in Lancaster, Lancashire. He was taken to an orphanage as soon as he was born called Nazereth House and adopted from there soon after. I have added my name to the adoption contact register. Is there anything else I can do?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2011 21:06

What makes you think he registered as Jones with MMN Jones when there's this birth?

Name Joseph Garrety
Year of Registration 1945
Quarter of Registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District Lunesdale
Registration County Lancashire
Mother's maiden name Tague
Volume Number 8E
Volume Page 938

Rose

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 21 Aug 2011 00:42

Vanessa acknowledged the Joseph Garrety birth on the 15th August
but it seems she is happier with the other birth :-S

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 21 Aug 2011 12:37

Hi Mum told me that my great aunt Alice registered Josephs birth and her married surname was Jones. It seems that there could be two possibles, but I think the Jones might be the correct one as he was born in Lancaster and I don't know the district of Lunesdale? I think I might try both names and see what I can find out. :-)

Potty

Potty Report 21 Aug 2011 13:08

Lunesdale covered areas around Lancaster - if you look up the Joseph Garrety birth on freebmd and click on Lunesdale, you will see a list of the areas it covered; maybe one of them will be familiar.

Your mum may have meant that your great aunt was the informant for the birth registration - I would get the Garrety one first.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 21 Aug 2011 14:03

I will check the Garrety one first and see what I can find out. Thanks for advice Vanessa :-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Aug 2011 19:28

Vanessa,

I'm certain the Garrety birth is the one you need. The time, area and maiden name all matches. Don't waste money with the Jones cert.

Rose

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 23 Aug 2011 07:18

Hi Rose. Thanks for info. I am going to get the Garrety birth certificate, maybe a mistake was made in the spelling. Will let you know what happens. Vanessa :-)

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 Sep 2011 15:16

Hi All. I have finally received Josephs birth certificate and it is the Joseph born in Lunesdale. According to birth certificate he was born in a Nursing home in Hornby and it also says on his birth certificate Adopted. Mothers maiden name is correct and it is the same address as my grandmother lived at for many years. Only problem have registered with adoption service and so far no luck. Is there any other way to look for him?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2011 19:21

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the update. Is the name spelt Garrity or Garrety
on the birth certificate?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2011 19:25

I see in your tree you have added him with surname Garrity/Garrety .

The problem with this is that people searching under the name Garrety will not find him.

Rose

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 Sep 2011 20:05

Hi Rose. On his birth cert it is Joseph Garrity. I can also confirm that he is my Uncle as his mothers name is Florence May Garrity on cert and address is the same as nanas address until she was 75 years old. He was born in a private Nursing Home, my mum thinks this may have been paid for by the RAF

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2011 22:29

Perhaps you can research the nursing home?

Rose

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 5 Sep 2011 01:59

I have had a look on the internet but can see no search for Florence by Joseph.
Best to find where in Lancashire dealt with his adoption & ask to place a letter perhaps from both your mother & yourself, in his adoption file.

But I would think if he was interested, he would have looked before now. :-S

If you email me his date of birth, I will sadly have a look if he has passed away.
You can, if registered correctly, try to trace a person through their DOB from approx 1969 to 2006, via their death.
Not an accurate way, but then you see if a birth was registered in that name.

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/search.php