Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Iona Jackson born c1950, emigrated to Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 17 Sep 2011 00:42

I would like to find Iona Jackson, born around 1950, who my parents fostered in Tunbridge Wells, Kent for a couple of years around 1965. She had a younger brother whose name I can't remember. She emigrated to Australia and was a fashion model, tall with long blonde hair. If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Sep 2011 05:51

Linda,

Not seeing a birth for her.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Sep 2011 08:51

I agree with Rose, no Iona Jacksons born about 1950. Would it be a bit unusual to foster a 15 year old back then - children's homes were much more the norm I would say? I'm no expert though! Just wondering about that birth year.
In any case, have you tried Facebook? You never know.
Jan

patchem

patchem Report 17 Sep 2011 09:32

There is an Iona born in Kent in 1961, if birth year 10 years out.
(But no younger brother showing)

Paul

Paul Report 17 Sep 2011 10:22

...as a matter of interest...

http://www.modelscomposites.com/getlist.php?list=wld&choice=Iona+Jackson&year=all

This link is for an Iona Jackson in 1976, is this her??

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2011 11:44

Thanks Paul - that could be her. I'll have a look. I can't remember exactly when she was born - I was born in 1952 and she was a couple of years ahead of me at school. We fostered her because her parents had split up. Not sure where her brother went. Thanks everyone for looking, and sorry I didn't reply straight away - busy weekend!

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2011 11:47

Yes, that's definitely her. But she married in Australia and I don't know her married name. I did try Facebook but didn't have any luck.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Sep 2011 18:32

Do you know where she was born?

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2011 23:24

Sorry, no. Possibly Kent, but they could have moved there from somewhere else. I wish now that I'd asked my Mum for more information before she died, but I'm not sure how much she knew herself.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2011 23:27

Actually I've just remembered that her brother went to Lancing College in Sussex - not that that proves anything about where they came from!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Sep 2011 01:15

You might want to add Australia to your title in case someone who know Australians records can help.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Sep 2011 01:17

Was she already a model when you fostered her? I wonder if her name was changed.

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 20 Sep 2011 01:54

No, she was about 15, but already model potential, tall, slim, blonde hair, and looked fantastic in whatever she wore!

I'll add Australia to the title as you suggest - thanks for the tips!

Linda

Linda Report 20 Sep 2011 01:55

Except I can't find how to edit the title!

jax

jax Report 20 Sep 2011 02:01

Go to the first post in the thread and click edit...just along from your name

jax

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 20 Sep 2011 04:10

Nothing in the Australian Archives showing as a migrant arrival for her just using a search of the name Iona.

Linda

Linda Report 20 Sep 2011 15:22

Thanks for looking everyone - much appreciated.

Could her name have been mistranscribed as Fiona I wonder? Iona was an unusual name back then. Just a thought.