Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Florence Norah Kerr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poodles

poodles Report 11 Mar 2012 20:10

I am looking for any relatives of Florence Norah Kerr was born Febuary 26th in Ireland was looked after first few months by grandmother & then by aunt & uncle who had three sons, around age 4years was sent to childrens home run by nuns all contact with family was stopped , moved to England as a teenager trained as a nurse married 1st husband 1961 deviorced remarried in the 80's now widdowed
regards poodles

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Mar 2012 20:22

So is Kerr her maiden name? What was her last married surname?

Rose

poodles

poodles Report 11 Mar 2012 20:46

Hi Rose,
Kerr was her maiden name her last married name was west

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Mar 2012 20:57

You must already have recent info if you know that she is a widow.

What are you hoping for?

poodles

poodles Report 11 Mar 2012 21:12

Any brothers or sisters that came along after she was sent away nephews nieces cousins.any reative really

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 12 Mar 2012 10:40

For a search you really need to ask if Florence has her birth certificate
thus getting her mum's maiden name etc.

http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/how-to-order-birth-certificates

poodles

poodles Report 15 Mar 2012 14:52

The name of Florence Norah 's mother was Kerr she was Not married when Florence Norah was born & there is no fathers name on the birth certificate. Florence Norah's mother left her with grandparents who Norah believes may have been elderly or possibly in ill health because she was later given to an Aunt & Uncle who looked after her until she was about 4 years old Aunt & Uncle had 2 or 3 boys of their own so when money became tight Norah iwas sent to the orphanage at least that is what she was told by an elderly nun when she left the orphanage as a young girl & went to England to train as a nurse unfortunately at that time when a child was put in an orphanage the family had to give up all contact with the child, unfortunately Norah does not know her aunt & uncles surname

Penny

Penny Report 16 Mar 2012 08:51

Were they real aunts & uncles I wonder?

Have you read about the Magdelen Laundries?

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 16 Mar 2012 09:52

As mentioned

to start the search, you will need Florence's birth certificate
this will give her Mum's first name.

Depending on which part of Ireland the websites to order from are already posted on this thread.

You may be in luck & the mother may be already on someone's family tree

poodles

poodles Report 16 Mar 2012 18:41

Norah isn't sure, but, she thinks they were real aunts & uncles & no I haven't tried the Magdelen Laundries may i ask if anyone knows how I find them ?Thankyou all for your invaluble help, we believe the Dublin area is the right area, but unfortunately Norah isn't well at the moment so things are coming out in dribs & Drabs Thankyou all so very much I am not very good at this

Sheila

Sheila Report 16 Mar 2012 22:24

This link will give you some background info on the Magdalanes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Asylum

poodles

poodles Report 24 Mar 2012 20:45

Hi everyone, sorry to bother you all again but, it turns out
Florence Norah West ( known as Norah) told us she was born in Dublin to an unmarried mother Grandparents looked after her for a while then she was looked after by Aunt & uncle until age 4years then sent to orphanage run by nuns Aunt & uncles name not known she has now informed us that she was Not born in Dublin but was born in Belfast she cannot remember her mother christian name & it is unreadable on the birth certificate but the surname was Kerr
regards

Flip

Flip Report 25 Mar 2012 10:05

Surely if you have sight of the birth certificate it should say where she was born? What year was she born?

poodles

poodles Report 25 Mar 2012 21:16

Hi as I said Norah has always told us she was born in Dublin, but then last week after becoming ill she changed her mind & informed us she was born in Belfast Not Dublin, while she has been ill she has asked us to search through her papers for her & put them in order just in case ( her words not ours ) & sure enough she was born in Belfast but unfortunately the writing on her birth certificate is dreadful I think my small grandson could write better it's like a load of squiggerly lines , Norah believes her mother may have married & had more children we are trying to find out the name of the orphanage she was in but she can't remember she seems to have blacked it out because of te horrible time she had there

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Mar 2016 21:42

Nudging as new duplicate thread started today
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1358662

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Mar 2016 10:44

Copying the new post here for ease of reference:

Still trying to find any relatives of Florence Norah Kerr born in County Fermanagh Ireland on 26th February 1936 her mother was Emily Kerr father unknown Emily worked as a skivvy in big house in Fermanagh when she fell pregnant Norah as she is known was brought up by her mothers parents until 2 years old then went to live with aunt & Uncle & 3 boy cousins till age 4,( aunt & Uncles name not known )Norah was sent to catholic orphanage run by nuns age 4 stayed there all school life then at 18years travelled to Liverpool trained as nurse 1st husband was James Logan they divorced after 8 years, 2nd husband Norman West died some years ago No children from any marriage Norah believes Emily had 8 or 9 siblings we wondering if Norah has any half brothers sisters or living relatives

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Mar 2016 10:47

Poodles, you are now saying she was born in Co. Fermanagh, but earlier in this thread you said the birth cert said Belfast.

Can you clarify, please? Where was she born?

Not that her birth is coming up on Ancestry, anyway. You really do need to have a look at the links posted near the start of this thread by Kingsmill (12 March 2012).
I don't have subs to them.