Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

possible sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Broomie

Broomie Report 3 Jul 2012 23:44

I am looking for a lady born 1939 in Barrow in Furness named Margaret Burns. She was possibly adopted soon after birth and I have no information on her other than her birth certificate. Her birth mothers name was Martha (Margot) Burns.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Jul 2012 00:24

From the link at the top of this board

For people who are adopted, both the family trees of their birth parents and of their adoptive family are of interest, as both sets of people will have had an impact on the person you are. But many people who were adopted and fostered have a burning desire to uncover their birth family and understand their origins. Obviously tracing a birth parent can be a difficult search, both emotionally and practically. People wishing to find the new identity of an adopted relative can hire an intermediary agency through Directgov.

If you were adopted and want to know who your original parents were, contact the adoption authority of your local Social Services. They will arrange for appropriate counselling and you will be shown your original birth certificate, and your adoption papers, which should explain why you were adopted, and perhaps give some helpful details to help you trace your natural parents. There are also two other websites which can help to bring families looking for each other together - http://www.norcap.org.uk/ and http://www.postadoptioncentre.org.uk/Services/adviceline.php.

also

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/resources.php

and try google for other sites

Roy

Penny

Penny Report 4 Jul 2012 05:38

If you have her birth cert it will indicate adopted or not.
Does it say she was given for adoption? or aren't you sure?

Broomie

Broomie Report 4 Jul 2012 11:03

Roy Thank you so much for all the information you gave me. I shall investigate further, you are very kind. regards Sylvia

Penny
Thank you for answering - I always thought she was given up for adoption immediately after birth as she never lived with her (my) mother, and that the 'adoptive' parents named her and brought her up as their own.
That was until I found her birth certificate and realised my (her) mother had actually registered her albeit several weeks after her birth! (Margaret was born 23-10-39 and not registered until 12-01-40!)
There is no mention of adoption on her birth cert, but I can't find any mention of her anywhere either. At the moment have presumed she was adopted and had her name changed. kind regards Sylvia.

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 4 Jul 2012 12:08

BROOMIE

are you looking at the ORIGINAL birth certificate
ie the one your mother had given her dated 12/1/40

if so, it is only the later ones that are marked ADOPTED

Sadly even when the child is adopted at birth, the birth mother needs to get a certificate.

Broomie

Broomie Report 4 Jul 2012 12:34

Hi Kingsmill
Yes it is a copy of the original and on it gives 23-10-39 born but not registered until 12-01-40. with my mothers name and home address, but she couldn't have taken the baby home with her as my grandparents never knew of her existence. I have presumed maybe the baby was fostered until adopted?
A possibility I guess. Thank you for replying.

Penny

Penny Report 4 Jul 2012 14:46

How do you know that they didn'yt know of her existance?

I'd be extremely suprised if they didnt, especially if your mother was young at the time.

Was the baby born near home?

Broomie

Broomie Report 4 Jul 2012 17:20

My Aunt told me after my mother died that she was the only one who knew all that went on.
My grandparents were apparently very strict (I didn't know them as i was fostered for the first 10 years of my life) and they would have disowned her had they known.
My Aunt worked with my mother and they confided in each other.
Whether my mother stayed with her sister for a while before the baby was born I don't know, She did give her home address on the cert!
I only know my mother was very good at keeping secrets.
My Aunt passed away some time ago so I can't ask anymore questions unfortunately.

Flip

Flip Report 8 Jul 2012 08:18

Which aunt were you in contact with? Your mother had 3 sisters and a brother, and it looks like she named the baby after her oldest sister.

Your grandparents marriage (1913) was registrar attended or registry office - which could mean they were catholic. Did your mother move away from the area, I can't see anything more for her in Barrow?

Flip

Flip Report 8 Jul 2012 10:01

Is the birth certificate the original one issued at time of registration, or is it one you have obtained from GRO? If it is one from GRO, then if it was a legal adoption it will state adopted on the certificate. If you have the original it may be worth getting another copy from GRO to see if a later version states adopted.

It could be she was not adopted, but taken in by another family. There is an odd marriage on Cumbiabmd (they transcribed from original entries) in 1956, I'll PM you the details. They have a Margaret Burns getting married under 2 different names, but the bmd index only has one name.

I can't see a previous marriage for this Margaret to explain the 2 names.

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 9 Jul 2012 00:43

FLIP

if you read the thread, it is the ORIGINAL one issued on the 12-01-40.

I have sent Broomie ( read but no response ) reference to a person who has sadly died
( same DOB ) but can not find a birth to correspond to her surname used when she married.
Not a remarriage as the children are under this mother's maiden name.
Pointed out it could be just a coincidence etc.

I also asked if there were any paperwork found with the original birth certificate.

Broomie

Broomie Report 9 Jul 2012 16:25

Hello helpers! Oh dear I think I have mislead you by saying it is a copy of the original.I did get it from the GRO last year. I didn't have the original or any other paperwork. My mother had destroyed all her correspondence, photos etc.
The one I have from the Gro is not marked adopted! so that apparently opens another 'can of worms'!?
Yes they were catholic and she did name the baby after her eldest sister and it was this sister who told me about the baby. She had kept it secret for more than 50 years.(this was back in 1996/7 that she told me)
As you can see I'm new at this and not very good! So thank you for all your help!

Broomie

Broomie Report 9 Jul 2012 16:30

Forgot to say Yes she did move to London but not for a couple of years, as I was born there in 1942. I was then fostered out and she married the year after. I know the history from then on. Thanks all.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Jul 2012 17:25

Broomie,

The certificate you have is a true copy as what will appear on the original given to the birth mother Martha/ Margot so you havn't mislead anyone...if it doesnt have the word --Adopted-written on it then Margaret wasnt formally adopted with court approval.

Nazareth House Childrens Homes are a good place to start where RC faith was the religion.

Broomie

Broomie Report 9 Jul 2012 17:57

Wow Thank you. You are very kind to take the trouble to reply to me I really do appreciate it.
The plot thickens!
I will look at Nazareth house and take it from there. Thank you.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Jul 2012 19:07

Dont forget Barnados,,they have a huge database of all who went under their care.

Gillian

Gillian Report 10 Jul 2012 00:19

I have to add that what Kay has written regarding original birth certificates of adopted people all having 'Adopted' written on them is incorrect, not all adopted peoples original birth certificates include the words adopted (normally written on the right hand side) I have many adopted peoples birth certificates and around a third do not have written 'Adopted' on them even though these people were legally adopted as babies.

Gillian

Flip

Flip Report 10 Jul 2012 07:58

You could also try contacting Caritas (previously the Catholic caring society), they handled many adoptions and have an office in Barrow.

http://www.caritascare.org.uk/children/adoption/adopted-adults-birth-relatives/

I think the marriage details for Margaret Burns sent by PM may be worth checking out - Burns only appears on the Cumbriabmd site & I know they have transcribed from original records and not the bmd index. I've done quite a bit of research in the Furness area, and that site has proved really useful as there is often more details than the bmd.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Jul 2012 11:08

Gillian .Its just something Ive not seen in my line of work.