Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pls help find John (Jack) Hooton or living family.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 6 Jul 2012 11:15

Please could anyone help. I have been asked to try and find my aunties father, I think that he may have passed now, but we have been told that he married again after my grandmother and had more children. My auntie would like to find some living relations if possible.

The information I have so far is the his name is/was John (Jack) Hooton but we are unsure as to where he was born maybe London? My Nan was born in 1928 in Liverpool so he must have been around the same age.

He was a manager of Rio? Picture house in liverpool were he met my Nan Nora Williams (nee Taylor) she was working as a usherette and left her husband for Jack.

Jack and Nora then moved to Kent, were he started a chauffeur business driving rolls royces, following that they opened a fish and chip shop.

They never married but had two children, my half auntie Karon born 1967 and her brother born 1962.

They then split and went their separate ways.

We believe he was previously in the navy as my father remembers seeing pictures of him in uniform.  

Any information you may be able to find on him would be very gratefully received, many thanks.

Julia

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Jul 2012 13:17

Do you know if he had a middle name? If he is named on your Aunt's birth cert this should tell you. Or she could check out the electoral register for the address where he was living.
Jan

patchem

patchem Report 6 Jul 2012 17:23

Is there any specific reason why you think he was born in London, as Hooton is common in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire etc?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2012 17:27

they were living in the Dartford reg area when Karon was born.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2012 17:30

It would help to know if he had a second name. .Theres potential marriages in Kent.

I may help too to know when he & Nan spit up

patchem

patchem Report 6 Jul 2012 17:42

There is a marriage for a John P Hooton in Kent, but no suitable birth from 1900 to 1940.

Julia

Julia Report 7 Jul 2012 11:27

Thank you so much for your help! You are very kind.

The new information I have now been given is as follows:

After leaving Liverpool around 1959 they moved to Scunthorpe and lived in a caravan until 1965, then they moved to Dartford.

Karon his daughter is unable to locate her birth certificate at the moment but remembers the address given on it as 614 Princes Road, Dartford, Kent, this was in Feb 1967.  She is unsure if he has a middle name. 

We think he then left my Nan around 1967 onwards.

I have been told that my Nan did try to look for Jack (not sure how many years later) and was told he worked as a governor of Stangeways in Manchester. Maybe he stayed in this area? I have also been told that he was an extra in coronation street.

He told my Nan that he was adopted and was left on a door step, so this may prevent us from finding a birth certificate?

Unfortunately this is all the information we have on him as my Nan has now passed and very little information was given to her children.

Thank you again for your help, this is a really difficult one.

Julia

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Jul 2012 11:33

Hi Julia.
Well, I suggest the same as above - Karon can send for a new birth cert if she wishes. I can send details which she will need if you want.
Otherwise, if local she can visit the nearest main library to the address she has and check the entry on the electoral register.
Jan

Julia

Julia Report 15 Jul 2012 00:17

Thank you so much, unfortunately Karon lives in Spain, so I will have to make a note of this for future. I will give her the birth cert info and we can go from there.

If anybody finds more information in the future I would be very grateful for any information you can find, although It looks like this one is going to be impossible to trace.

Thank you so much for your time!

Julia

Ps..My Mum also has an older sister that she has never met and is dying to locate, but we have even less information to go on, but as soon as I find some more information I will post on here to ask for help from you very kind people. It amazes me how family's have so many secrets..such a shame.

Thanks again.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2012 08:02

Check out the address that Karon remembers on the old electoral rolls by contacting Dartford library. You might get a middle initial for Jack.

Is this Nora's marriage?

Marriages Jun 1947
Taylor Norah T Williams Liverpool N. 10d 563
Williams Oswald Taylor Liverpool N. 10d 563

When was your mum born so we can narrow down her sister's birth?

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2012 09:53

He is named on Karon's birth cert - she is registered as Hooton, MMN Taylor

Unfortunately, the birth cert will only give his name and occupation - no mention of age

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2012 09:56

You can try contacting the library in Dartford, and asking if they are able/willing to look for the ER info for you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2012 10:03

To verify (or not) the story about Strangeways.............

Address:
1 Southall Street
Manchester
M60 9AH
Tel: 0161 817 5600
Fax: 0161 817 5601

.................I must say it sounds a bit far-fetched, when considering his previous occupations

Julia

Julia Report 15 Jul 2012 10:53

Thank you so much Rose and Reggie, you are very kind!

Rose, yes this is my Nans wedding info to my Grandad.

Reggie, I will contact them and let you know.

I will also open a new post on my Mum's sister to prevent confusion, it doesn't take much for me.

Thank you so much again.

Julia

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2012 11:55

Just edited my post re the Manchester address........the explanation for it should have been there in the first place, but somehow wasn't

Petef

Petef Report 15 Jul 2012 14:48

Have you or any other members of your family ever wondered if there was a possibility he might have been a con-man?
Peter

Julia

Julia Report 15 Jul 2012 16:26

Thanks Reggie that makes sense, I will have a look into that! Just spoken to my mum (this is my dads side of the family) and she said that when Jack left my nan he disappeared and never paid any money for the children, she said that the benefits people located him working in stangeways - come to think of it he was probably a resident!!!!! I don't know if they got any money from him, this is all we have.

Hi Peter,

For sure he was a con man! There is no doubt in my dads mind, this leads me to think was he ever left on a door step, was he still married when he left my nan as they never married and was his real name Hooton!

Thank you so much, I hope I'm not being a pain, let's hope somebody recognises his name in the future!

Julia

Petef

Petef Report 15 Jul 2012 17:25

There is a place called Hooton near Ellesmere Port. I wondered if that was where he met your Grandma
deciding to give himself that name?
Do you know where your Grandma was living with her husband before she left him for this mysterious John/Jack Hooton?
Thanks
Peter

Julia

Julia Report 16 Jul 2012 18:47

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I have just spoken to my dad and the address my Nan left was 21 Max Road, Liverpool 14.

I have passed all information and addresses onto my Dad who will pass these onto Karon to search further, thank you so much for your help and time.

I will let you know if we ever find him or his family.

Julia

Petef

Petef Report 17 Jul 2012 14:01

Hi Julia,
You said the cinema where they both worked was called something like 'Reo?' I wondered about this one...The Cameo cinema, Webster Road.... which is no longer there. It was situated just over 4 miles from Max Road, the address you gave us for your Nan. There is a great deal to be said about this cinema online as it was here the manager and the deputy manager were shot and murdered in 1949. A man was hanged for this crime but pardonned more than fifty years later. I am certainly not suggesting this murder had anything to do with your Nan or John/Jack! I am wondering, however, if the staff records of this cinema are stored away somewhere? If so, you would be able to search for your Nan and make note of any male members of staff working there at the same time. I have been unable to find anything online today and have been unable to access Liverpool Archives either, nor have I been able to ascertain when the Cameo cinema actually closed down. I think it might be worth following this trail even though it might appear to be a wild goose chase!

Peter