Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Sites

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 8 Aug 2012 12:18

Hi I have hit a brick wall in my two searches for living relatives. i have only joined this site, and am relatively new to this. Do most people stay loyal to one site or join several? In other words if I join other sites will my search reach new people or will my searches have already been seen by members of other sites who also subscribe to this one? I have seen a lot of the same people helping others on this site and wondered if you would know.

many thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 8 Aug 2012 13:20

Christine, I assume you have threads on Living Relatives board regarding these family members? It's only rarely that people who share the same family see threads like this. I imagine you have been advised to go looking for contacts by using the 'search all trees' option?
I suppose the more sites you join the better the odds are, but it's an expensive way of doing things. However, FndMyPast and Ancestry have free 2-week trial periods (or used to at least!) which might be worth trying.
Otherwise you need to work forward by finding births, marriages, deaths, ordering certs as necessary to confirm you have the right ones, then using sites like Facebook and Friends Reunited, BT online, 192.com.
Jan

Petef

Petef Report 8 Aug 2012 16:09

Have you posted 'requests' for your missing relatives on all of the free websites available? A lot of people respond to them

Peter

Christine

Christine Report 8 Aug 2012 20:45

Hi

Thank you. It did not occur to me that I could try free websites or take advantage of offers. Many thanks for your advice

Christine

Christine Report 8 Aug 2012 20:47

Hi I have DOB etc and found one family until 2005 when the trail went cold. I will give facebook a try.

Thanks for all your help

sanny

sanny Report 9 Aug 2012 20:07

who are you looking for and i will see if i can help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Aug 2012 22:05

Have you tried the phone book?

Free on line..and in every main public library in the UK