Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts


ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Tara Report 1 Oct 2012 09:03

Hello all, I am having alot of trouble to find my grandmother, My mother was fostered as a child so we are not sure we have the right name for her ect, We do no by my mothers birth records that her mothers surname was Rigby, so my question is--- Is there any way any one can look at council records for previous tennents as the only form of correct information I have is an address for my grandmother many years ago? If I can get infomation on that then I will get my grandmothers full name which will help my search and hopefully make it a hole lot easier.


Reggie Report 1 Oct 2012 09:46

You need to buy your mother's birth cert.....get the actual document, not just look at the index.

Her mother's name will be on there

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2012 12:03

Even if she was fostered she should have kept her birth name.

as Reggie said you need to get mums birth cert for her mums name


wisechild Report 1 Oct 2012 13:29

Some Local Authority Housing Dept´s keep records of previous tenants. Many don´t.
Those who do , if they are willing to disclose the information, will charge a fairly hefty fee for doing a look up. It takes a considerable time to check the very old records which are often on microfiche or tape,


Tara Report 1 Oct 2012 16:19

Thank you for your answers with regaurds to Reggie and Shirley my mum does have her birth record and it does show her birth mother's surname is Rigby and Wisechild Thank you for your info I shall look further into the information you have given I shall look further into it


jax Report 1 Oct 2012 16:33

If she has the birth cert, then surely it gives her mothers full name?


KathleenBell Report 1 Oct 2012 16:58

Does your mother just have the details of her birth from the birth index or does she have her full birth certificate? It is the certificate you need as it will give her mother's full name and an address from the time of the birth. You can order the birth certificate online from the GRO in Southport using the details from the birth index as that is the GRO's reference number.

Kath. x


Reggie Report 1 Oct 2012 17:14

You keep referring to the 'birth record'..........that is NOT the cert