Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding descendents of 'disowned' BUCHANANs

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

patchem

patchem Report 11 Nov 2012 23:22

Do you know your father's Mother's name?
Have you got a copy of the will?
Could you post their names and birth dates, etc?
Thanks

Reggie

Reggie Report 11 Nov 2012 23:22

Did their father leave a Will?

What was his name?

Who was their mother...........presumably she was born a Buchanan?

When/where were the parents born? And when did they marry?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Nov 2012 23:22

Can you post names so we can take a look?

Rose

JudyS

JudyS Report 11 Nov 2012 22:57

Hello everyone!

First let me apologise for the length of this.

I've been researching my family for a while, so I've made good progress, but I'm having trouble with my paternal grandmother's Scottish side (BUCHANANs). As you see, they have a relatively common name, and the big problem is that my Dad (long deceased) never talked about his family at all. I know he had one sister, known to us as Aunty Len - I don't know what her real name was: could have been Helen, Ellen, Leonora, etc. I know he had a brother too.

The fact is that when their father died, they all fell out over the estate. I'm told my Dad never spoke to them again. So, anything I know about this family I've had to work out from certificates.

As far as I know, all of his contemporaries are now deceased, but surely some must have had families of their own, and they know quite a lot about their ancestry.

My father was born in 1916. I don't know if any (either?) of his siblings were much older, but I can't find any trace of them in the 1911 census. His father was a career soldier so may well have been out of the country a lot, but in any case, he had several forenames, at least one of which was not on his birth certificate (which I do have) and he signs himself something different again on my parents' marriage certificate

Any idea how I might go about finding these people?

Thanks for any help!