Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Betty Rogers b 1924

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2012 17:36

This is rather a long shot, and is on behalf of my mother in law who is Betty’s cousin, once removed.

Although I did have another thread re the Rogers family, this is a new dedicated one in case Betty is still living.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1301864

Betty Rogers’ birth was registered in Mildenhall, Suffolk 2Q 1924, mmn Steel even though her parents weren’t married.

By 1945, she was living in Worthing, Sussex. After her demob from the WRAF, she ‘took up’ with a man called Barry, surname unknown. They are believed to have had a son, Christopher, who was put into foster care.

Betty had 2 brothers, Ralph 1920 – 1967 and Sidney 1931-1968. I am in contact with Sidney’s widow who is a member of GR.

By the time the GR member came to know the family in the early 1960’s, Betty was no longer mentioned within the family. When her mother Elizabeth Jane Steel died in 1964, she was not mentioned in the Will.

Betty and Barry are believed to have started off taking films to country halls and showing them. They then produced a tiny paper back encyclopaedia of household hints.

Although I’ve tried looking for relevant records for Betty or her son, nothing seems to fit.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Nov 2012 18:59

Do you have her birth cert? The birth date can be used to search for a possible death - only 1970-2006 though.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2012 19:16

It looks as if I might have to do that, doesn't it? :-0

Thanks Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Nov 2012 19:54

Was she also known as Bessie?

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2012 20:04

Mother in law called her that....which did cause problems finding the birth reference

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Nov 2012 09:37

The only other thing I can think of is to look for the son, which you already have I know. Problem is, even if he is called Christopher we don't know what surname he had! Or even his birthplace or year.
There is one birth Worthing 1945, MMN Rogers, which is the only one worth pursuing I would say. But a very long shot indeed.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2012 10:00

Ooo, I got all excited then! But then Mother in law says she last saw Betty in Dec 1945. If Betty had been pregnant, or had recently given birth, she would probably have known about it.

People with Christopher's condition have average life expectancy of 55 years, with many living into their sixties and seventies. The uneffected Rogers/Steel children died of other causes before their 50th birthday. He might be alive but.......?

We'll see if MiL can remember anything else herself, and might go for the Betty's BC.

Thank you

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Nov 2012 12:43

I wasn't suggesting you try and find this Christopher as such - I must say I can't find an obvious marriage (or death) for him, given the middle initial. The only way to pursue this would be to get the birth cert, which if correct would tell you the father's name. But I am not sure I would want to spend £9.25 on this, the longest of long shots!
:-D :-D
Good luck with this, would be very interested to know if you get anywhere.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2012 11:09

Thanks Jan - seeing the Out-Laws today....and will see if they can give any more clues