Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ravenhust nursey school Pittville Lawn Cheltenham

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

medard

medard Report 23 Nov 2012 12:08

Did anyone out there attend this nursery school during WW2, as I did ?
any memories?
medard

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Nov 2012 12:53

Friends reunited would probably be a better place to look.

medard

medard Report 24 Nov 2012 07:40

Thanks Reggie, I'm actually searching for my half brother who I/m hoping was also boarded at this war time nursery, I have no name remembered.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2012 08:32

Do you have another post asking about your relative?

FR has 'location' sections, which can be searched without knowing a name

Which parent did you share? Who told you of his existence?

Have you looked for his birth?

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

medard

medard Report 24 Nov 2012 09:36

Thanks fpr your reply I cant see a location section. We share a mother I vagualy remember him My aunt told me its true anf he was fostered out at the end of the war . I have no name and have been searching for his birth under all my mothers possible names, I think my mother registered him under his fathers name - unknown

Ru

Ru Report 30 Nov 2012 08:44

Hi medard,

Do you know anything about the school. Was it especially for children of WW2 - evacuees, etc., as i think this is your best bet for a search. As you said you were at this school - do you have any memories of where it actually was and who ran the school.

I have googled this and cannot find much about it. If it was run by the Education Dept they may be able to help.

You say he is a half brother, there must be a name no matter how remote to you.

Give us a clue if you possible can.

Thanks

Sappho

medard

medard Report 30 Nov 2012 09:28

HiSappho
Thanks for your reply
I also googled it and am so happy I have actually found there was a nursery school it was run by a Miss Diana Burmester there was a report in Gloucester local paper about the school as a child had fallen . She according to the BT lived there with her parents = its a large Geogian House set in large gardens - Yes I remember bits about the school but nothing to help me -the address was Ravenhurst Pittville Lawn Cheltenham - walking distant from Cheltenham town .After the war the Burmesters sold up and it was bought and turned into a B& B .So it was a private Nursery boarding - Where would the records be held I wonder -
I also, from estate agents on line, now have a photo of the school as it was resold -----
'Ravenhurst A beautiful Georgian Villa in Cheltenham, 10 mins walk from the town centre, 10 mins walk from the racecourse, overlooking leafy Pittville Park with views of Pittville Pump Rooms '
I feel happy as a blank has been filled where I was - looks a nice place.
Still no brother though. I thought my Mother would have included the names Edwards and or Morris-Smith as these were her family names. So I have checked births 1941/2/3/ for these 3 names , but there are so many .
Thanks again
Medard

Ru

Ru Report 4 Dec 2012 19:30

Good to hear you have found the Nursery School. I am away on holiday in a remote part of NZ so only just got wifi connection.

So the next step may be to try to trace the family who ran the school. We can try to trace their name. The only other suggestion is you do a search of the Archives regarding the administration of the school as your 'brother' must have been placed with them by some organisation or at the very least a paper trail. Gloucester archives are great for a starter and you have done very well to trace the family who ran the privae boarding school.

Keep searching.

Good luck

Sappho - home at the weekend.

Penny

Penny Report 4 Dec 2012 20:03

Name: Diana Burmester
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1909
Date of Registration: Jun 1995
Age at Death: 86
Registration district: Hastings and Rother
Inferred County: East Sussex
Register Number: B61A
District and Subdistrict: 4561B
Entry number: 94

She appears to be the daughter of Frederick Wynne Burmester, and Sidney Burmester , nee RObbins.

Frederick died in 1937, Sidney in 1958

They also had a son John in 1914, who died soon after birth

Ru

Ru Report 5 Dec 2012 00:53

Well done Penny - this was my thinking - try to trace the people who ran the school.

Judging by the dates and if she did not marry then there may be some difficulty with this. I still think there has to be a paper trail as there would have been other children at the nursery school not just this family.

I commend your search findings as I had trouble and kept coming up with USA Burmester.

Sappho

Ru

Ru Report 5 Dec 2012 01:02

It may be that a death certificate would hold the key. Where she lived when she died and who informed of the death. This does seem a long shot, but maybe she went into teaching and the Education Department can help.

I still think there has to be a papertrail of some kind and again the school must have had more than one child on its register don't you think?

Must think about this one.

Sappho

medard

medard Report 5 Dec 2012 08:48

Many thanks for all your replies -

so she never married and maybe died in a nursing home
I have found her father in 1901 living with his uncle and he married

Marriage Record - Eleanor Sophia Burmester Jan-Feb-Mar 1880 Tendring Essex Samuel Evans Jan-Feb-Mar 1880 Tendring Essex

I hadnt thought to trace her family back
I'll also contact Glos FHS
I remember lots of other children there and the bedroom had lots of beds in it. there was a large room with lots of small tables and chairs with big windows that we could see out of without climbing up
Thank for all your help Ill follow up your leads
Medard

medard

medard Report 11 Dec 2012 09:42

Hi all
Gloucestershire have replied they only hold records of children that attened school - over 5yrs old and have no records for Ravenhurst Nursey school other than it is listed.
We were both under 4yrs old.
No replies as yet from genes Burmester on site
Thanks anyway
Medard

Ru

Ru Report 11 Dec 2012 17:50

medar,

I am wondering about the Gloucester local paper where you found some information. Do you have a copy of the article. It may help to know what was said about the school.
I still think a copy of Diana's death certificate would possibly lead to someone who knew her and maybe her past career in the care of infants.

Sappho

medard

medard Report 12 Dec 2012 07:40

I found the newspaper on this site - putting in her name Gloucestershire 1939-1945
there are 4 articles - a child fell , a baby died! I'm now wondering why we were put there!
Maybe I will get her death cert.
Medard

medard

medard Report 9 Jan 2013 14:51

Hi All
I have at last received the death cerificate of Diana Burmester - it seems she did have a son! living in Jersey in 1995 - a different surname Hugh Nicholas Barraclough but it says son - so I'll write to the Jersey address and see if I can find him. Thanks
Medard

Ru

Ru Report 9 Jan 2013 19:53

Good morning from Christchurch, NZ,

Well done on this - seems to be the way to go for leads.

I think you may find JerseyLily will come in here. She's great on this if she is not on holiday.

Will wait to see; if not I think I might have a site to offer which came from her, but will need to look back at my Jersey connections.

Happy 2013 seems to be on the cards.

Sappho

Ru

Ru Report 10 Jan 2013 06:10

I found this if it helps.

Name Hugh N Barraclough
Year of Registration 1933
Quarter of Registration Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District Elham
Registration County Kent
Mother's maiden name Ashley
Volume Number 2A
Volume Page 1836

There does not appear any connection, if Diana never married.

Sappho

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jan 2013 07:05

Medard,

He only shows on electoral roll up until 2002. If you Google his name it looks as though Hugh died in South Africa.

Rose

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jan 2013 07:09

What was you mother's maiden name?

Rose