Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my Grandmother-Mauger

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

victoria

victoria Report 9 Dec 2012 20:20

Don't thnk this posted- very new to this:

Hi, I have recently been given permission from my Dad to search for his birth mother. I do not have access to his birth certficate and only know that his mother's maiden name was Mauger. She lived in Geurnsey but gave birth in London in a home for un-married mothers. I think I have found my dads birth name in a document and the region where his birth was registered.

What should i do now? I have no idea how I go about searching further. I am going to try and get a copy of his birth certificate.

Birth name- Michael John Mauger
Born 14/3/1953 Battersea, London

Any advice or anybody who may know something would be greatly welcomed

Thank you
:-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2012 21:26

Hi Victoria.
You can order birth certs online from the GRO - they cost £9.25.
Do you have the details from the indexes? There will be a registration number which you need to put on the form - I can PM it to you should you need it.
Was your father adopted?
Jan

victoria

victoria Report 9 Dec 2012 21:33

Hi :)

Thank you so much for your response. Yes he was adopted when few months old. He has said I can search which is really exciting.

I did see a code on the document I found it was 5c vol 30, would this be anything relevant? I am not sure if his mother's first name would be on the cert or if it is just adopted parents.

I have limited info really but determind to find what I can.

Thank you for the hint re birth cert I will look into this :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2012 21:46

Hi there.

There will be no record of adopted parents on the original birth cert as this is confidential. It will be his mother's name.
To order any certificate, go online and just follow the instructions. The ref. numbers you quote are used, as is the registration district and quarter.
As he is adopted, I think it's OK to put this:

Name: Michael J Mauger
Mother's Maiden Surname: Mauger
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1953
Registration district: Battersea
Inferred County: Greater London, Middlesex
Volume Number: 5c
Page Number: 30

Has he considered applying to see his adoption records?

Jan

victoria

victoria Report 9 Dec 2012 21:55

This is very kind thank you :)

He says that I can search and he would consider meeting any family members I may find (if I'm lucky enough to) but that he does not wish to search hmself. I think there is fear of rejection and hos adopted mother is still alive and not well.

He will sign anything I need though. Could I apply for them?

:)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2012 22:00

I am no expert, but I do know that only your father can access his adoption file. He needs to be aware that in the event of his death nobody else will be able to access it.
There is a charity called NORCAP (just google it) who can give you advice.
As this is such an unusual name, you might be able to research it quite well once you have his mother's full name.

Do you mind if I ask how you know where his mother was from?

Jan

victoria

victoria Report 9 Dec 2012 22:04

Oh wow I didn't realise this. I will ask him about it.

Thank you re NORCAP I will search them and see where we can go from there.

I really appreciate your help, I feel like I have somehwere to go now thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2012 22:08

It's no problem, really!
It's very fortunate that you are researching this when your father is around, and even luckier that you have some info to get you started. I am quite surprised by that!
Many people on here ask about an adopted parent, sadly after they have passed away, and they have no chance of researching further.
Best of luck - maybe you could let us know how you get on! Very exciting isn't it.
Jan

victoria

victoria Report 9 Dec 2012 22:18

Sorry just seen your question. This is what my Dad told me that he had been told. All he knew was his birth name that she was about 16 and sent to a Methodist home in London for un-married mothers. She then went back home. He was not told the name of the home or her Christain name. I am told that my Grnadfather was an English footballer.

I assume this is what he was told by his adopted parents.

Vikki

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Dec 2012 09:18

As his birth was over 50years ago you can order his birth cert withjust the GRO ref given

go to www.gro.gov.uk certs cost £9.25 using the GRO ref given. Dont forget to tick the box on the first page of the order that asks if the GRO ref is known , then all you need is to specify its a birth cert ,his name, and put the GRO ref in the boxes where asked.

You have to register on the site ,free and then follow the order form .

If you get stuck then come back and we can help you to follow the form

Once you have the cert then you will have his mums name hopefully unless they only issue a short cert which wont show her name. This was done to protect a mums privacy.

I would certainly get dad to apply for his adoption papers.

Good Luck

victoria

victoria Report 11 Dec 2012 17:47

Thanks so much for this. I have spoken with my dad and he has agreed to apply for his adoption papers so appreciate the advice.

If dad can't find a full b cert I will apply following your guidance.

I will keep you both updated, so excited