Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elaine Marshall & Thomas Samual Robinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 15 Dec 2012 19:48

Hi ya

I am trying to find my half sister who was born approx 1982. Her mother was Elaine Robinson (nee Marshall) and her father was Thomas Samual Robinson, my half sister was born in either Corby or Kettering (more likely the former than latter). Thomas Robinson was born in Londonderry in Ireland and worked in the steel industry in Corby for a while and married Elaine in Corby in 1979.

I am trying to put my family tree together and would love to have some more information about Thomas (or Sam as he was known) and his family and would love to know a sister that I have never met.

Even if I can't meet my sister, any information would be fantastic to be able to put my family background together on both my mothers and my fathers side.

As a footnote, I understand that he used to be a football referee, not sure who with.

Many Thanks

Donna

patchem

patchem Report 15 Dec 2012 20:12

There are quite a few Robinson/Marshall births.
There is one in Kettering in 1984.
How far out could you be with the birth year?
Could you explain how you do not know her name if you share a parent?
Thanks

Added:
There is a possibility that she (the one born in Kettering in 1984) belongs to genes.

Donna

Donna Report 15 Dec 2012 21:38

Hi Ya

My father and my mother separated when I was about 3 (I was born in 1969) and he then married Elaine in 1979 in Corby. I went to see my father when I was in my late teens/very early 20's and my half sister was 6 at the time. My father and Elaine lived in Corby so there is a potential that 1984 could have been her birth year. I didn't know her name (although I seem to remember the name Rachel sits at the back of my mine and I am not sure why) as my father refused to acknowledge me throughout my life even when I met him, he explained that although I was his daughter, as far as he was concerned he only had one daughter and wanted nothing to do with me. It's not that I particularly want to find my half sister if she really does not want to have any contact although it would be nice to meet another part of the family, but I would love to find out some more about my fathers side of my family. I remember that my granny & granddad Robinson lived in Corby too and he had several brothers and sisters including an adopted sister called Gail who I last heard lived in Sussex several years ago. One of his other sisters was called Margaret who moved to France with her husband to start an american camper van business but that again was some years ago and I have lost contact with Margaret and didn't really get to know her for long enough to talk to her about the family, we exchanged a couple of emails only. Apart from that I really don't know anything much more.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated . :-)

patchem

patchem Report 15 Dec 2012 23:44

Birth sent by p.m.
Your remembered name looks good. :-)

Have you got your parent's marriage certificate for further information?

Donna

Donna Report 16 Dec 2012 12:04

Hi Patchem

Thank you so much for all you're help. I am new to this and not quite sure what I am doing yet.

I don't have their marriage certificate I'm afraid as it was some time ago and my mum didn't keep it. I think I can apply for it though can't I through the registrar at Corby where they were married? I have looked them up on the database though so have their reference number and page number.

I was speaking to my mum last night and she is really interested also in getting the family tree done on both sides so that should be a nice little project to keep me busy over xmas (as if it's not busy enough :) ). It will be great for the kids too finding out about their family history as they have started asking loads of questions, more from my little girl than my teenage son and more as a result of me going to Corby yesterday and showing them where I used to live and the school I used to go to and also where my Great Nan used to live.

I know my father was born in Ireland, are there any databases that I can search to get information about his birth and his parents at all please?

Again, thank you so much for all you're help, it is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Donna

patchem

patchem Report 16 Dec 2012 20:09

His Father's name should be on the marriage certificate, which is why that is the place to start.
You can apply locally or nationally for the certificate (but with different reference numbers).
Just slowly and carefully work your way back.
I also suggest that you alter your title to include Ireland, as I am totally ignorant about that country.